Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You say yourself #2 is from hip-hop. Your list is invalid.

Deleted
    Im stunned that someone like Kendrick Lamar can be on that list, whereas Guru isn't even in your honoring mentions. The fuck dude?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obao98 View Post
    "and I BET when Eminem dies it will be the biggest thing ever known to music history, YES bigger then Elvis, Tupac, Biggie, Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson ect"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG, you did not just go there.

You are delusional son. None of your rappers will ever come close to being as big as Elvis.

Biggest thing ever known to music history? Really? Can you possibly be THAT dense??

Let me tell you something son. I am from Brazil. And down here NOBODY cares about rap. AT ALL (ok, maybe a very small %), and it's the same way in almost all countries around the world. No one outside the USA really cares about the genre rap, or even worse, the rappers.

Elvis has sold over 1 BILLION albuns. You put ALL of those rappers together and I bet they don't even have half of that.
    Elvis is only certified for 200 million (of course they keep better records nowadays). Eminem is a 3rd of that and has only been selling records for 14 years instead of 48 years. Not to mention album sales skyrocket after death.

Don't get me wrong, Eminem is not as big as the Beatles or Elvis but he'll be up there and remembered well into the future.

You're also wrong about rap. It might not be popular in Brazil (I don't know but I suspect there's a decent following) but it is big in the US, England, New Zealand and Australia (they're the ones that I know about). Going by what I see else where I suspect it has a reasonable following throughout Europe (behind techno) and most likely other parts of the world.

My personal list.
    1. Lupe Fiasco
    2. Busta Rhymes
    3. Biggie
    4. Slim Shady
    5. Dre

10+ Year Old Account
    First op you should define what you think rapping means and second throw away almost all of that list.

Quote Originally Posted by stuck4cash View Post
    Elvis is only certified for 200 million (of course they keep better records nowadays). Eminem is a 3rd of that and has only been selling records for 14 years instead of 48 years. Not to mention album sales skyrocket after death.

Don't get me wrong, Eminem is not as big as the Beatles or Elvis but he'll be up there and remembered well into the future.

You're also wrong about rap. It might not be popular in Brazil (I don't know but I suspect there's a decent following) but it is big in the US, England, New Zealand and Australia (they're the ones that I know about). Going by what I see else where I suspect it has a reasonable following throughout Europe (behind techno) and most likely other parts of the world.
    Also forgetting that record sales and pop culture legacy don't equate quality. Besides, the guy you're replying to is talking outta his ass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_hip_hop

15+ Year Old Account
    gonna drop this in as well. Chali 2na freestyle on G4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nR08qrXB3w

Since you this is all gonna be subjective and I don't feel like wasting time telling other people there opinion on this is wrong for abstract reasons, I'll just gnna leave my number one here.

I really don't understand why Nas can be considered even top 5 just for the 1 classic album, except for that nothing else (IMO) can even be considered a great album for him to be considered top 5 and his last album Life is Good was weak. All I see Nas doing now is saying crazy stuff on the internet.
    Ain't no chuch when you're living in the wild

Fuck it, lets do some proper advertising.

Where's the Digital Underground?

Quote Originally Posted by JustaBigBird View Post
    I really don't understand why Nas can be considered even top 5 just for the 1 classic album, except for that nothing else (IMO) can even be considered a great album for him to be considered top 5 and his last album Life is Good was weak. All I see Nas doing now is saying crazy stuff on the internet.
    Can't think of too many rappers with a discog that's good across the board. A lot of the top names have a handful of strong ones followed up with a number of duds. Wu, Nas, Slum Village, Mos Def, GZA, Jay-Z, Public Enemy, Ice Cube, etc. Providing a consistent level of quality across a wide range of records is incredibly hard and can dilute song writing. tbh, I'd rather rank based on the merits of their strongest records. Otherwise, why not judge Led Zeppelin for Coda rather than Physical Grafitti and IV, or King Crimson for Beat rather than In the Court of... and Red? Is it just a hip hop thing?

Also, Lost Tapes was pretty good.

Nas' seminal album was so defining of the genre during that time period that it merits him a spot at the top - maybe not the top of the top, but certainly around there.

That aside, I'm not really sure compiling numeric lists does too much aside from state your own opinions. I'm sure there's a group that just about everybody would agree deserves "top" recognition, but unfortunately people get so wrapped up in the details that they'll flat out disregard anything else (even "top" artists) because the numerical order isn't "right".

"Tupac isn't the number one rapper? This fucking list is INVALID. None of these guys are any good."

But seriously, I am curious why Q-Tip wasn't mentioned. Dude's a habitual list-maker.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    But seriously, I am curious why Q-Tip wasn't mentioned. Dude's a habitual list-maker.
    Assumingly because the op has never listened to him.

Now you say "rapper" does that mean only hip hop, gangsta, thug whatever you kids call it these days style?. If not then Zack de la Rocha from Rage against the Machine should get a mention at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    "Tupac isn't the number one rapper? This fucking list is INVALID. None of these guys are any good."
    lol Bad. All these kids and their Tupac eh?

I think Phife Dog was the better rapper of the two, but those two were the perfect duo. Energy meet slickness. No doubt Q-Tip was the master beat maker of his time though. Have you seen the ATCQ doc? Some really cool moments in the production of their debut record.

Tupac is #1 and it's not even close. Without Tupac, you wouldn't have 90% of the people on that list nowadays. He paved the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Tupac is #1 and it's not even close. Without Tupac, you wouldn't have 90% of the people on that list nowadays. He paved the way.
    Tupac wouldnt even make that list. He had 1 decent song with changes. The culture him, biggie and all the other "gangsta" "rappers" facilitate should be ashamed. I dont even think he would make it anywhere on a list of 50.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Dose one, Anticon

Anticon, Doseone, Themselves.

Go and listen to some A.S.M. and tell me that those two guys don't belong somewhere on the list. Words cannot describe their ability to flow. Green T and FP are rapping beasts. They also had a few other really good rappers on some songs. Anyways if you haven't heard A State of Mind then you should do so right now.

Oh and it isn't Snoop Dog anymore. He now goes by Snoop Lion, and he is coming out with a reggae album haha.