Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    LOL @ gold ads below this thread.

  2. #42
    Epic! Yosef1015's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Freljord
    Posts
    1,719
    People dont go for gold because they literally want a hunk of gold, they go for gold for the satisfaction of being the best

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesclo View Post
    Do you even understand statistics? Honestly, did you pay attention in math class at all? Of course if you add in everyday occurrences, then no, it's not likely at all that you're going to get killed by terrorists. Hell, I bet you could find statistics that your chance at dying by gunshot is 0000000000000001%. But that chance obviously skyrockets when you're in the middle of a battlefield.

    Now, can you understand why linking a statistic like that is really stupid when we're talking about the biggest world event that happens every 4 years? No, it's not likely at all that terrorist is going to kill you on a random day in May or March on your front lawn, but if you're at the biggest world event with billions of eyes watching... can you figure it out?
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-07-30 at 07:41 PM.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  4. #44
    Brewmaster mitbrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    holland
    Posts
    1,306
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    You're being nitpicky. Of course you can't compete with everyone who could potentially be better than you, but the grand stage is the Olympics. No one will ever dispute that you're amazing at what you do if you have that medal around your neck. And nobody is spending billions on medals, stop that nonsense. The billions are for city development.
    The olypmic stage isnt the grand final for everyone , as it doesn't even support all the sports that have pro sporters performing it. Also , people can have bad days etc so they can't get their ticket for the olympics , so infact it can be that not everyone winning gold there is actually the best of the world , another bad thing about the olypmpics is that not everything is 100% about the skills , but your body and physical strenght , making people who got hereditary diseases that can make you fat etc unable to perform , all because their strenght doesn't meet its requirement , even though their skills could.
    When your enemies meet death , it is my face that shall greet them.
    [

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Do you even understand statistics? Honestly, did you pay attention in math class at all? Of course if you add in everyday occurrences, then no, it's not likely at all that you're going to get killed by terrorists. Hell, I bet you could find statistics that your chance at dying by gunshot is 0000000000000001%. But that chance obviously skyrockets when you're in the middle of a battlefield.

    Now, can you understand why linking a statistic like that is really stupid when we're talking about the biggest world event that happens every 4 years? No, it's not likely at all that terrorist is going to kill you on a random day in May or March on your front lawn, but if you're at the biggest world event with billions of eyes watching... can you figure it out?
    The point it, it was never meant to be this huge world even that it is.

    Do Americans spend billions on security for the Stanley Cup? Superbowl? All Star Game? No, because it would fucking bankrupt us. Those who give up liberty for security deserve neither. I'd rather die free than live on my knees. Sorry, but some idiot in a cave is not going to make me change my life or bankrupt me. True freedom means accepting the fact that on any given day you can walk out and get hit by a bus... or should we have Government restrict all bus lanes now too?

  6. #46
    is it really about gold, silver, bronze? i thought it was about representing your country?

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesclo View Post
    The point it, it was never meant to be this huge world even that it is.

    Do Americans spend billions on security for the Stanley Cup? Superbowl? All Star Game? No, because it would fucking bankrupt us. Those who give up liberty for security deserve neither. I'd rather die free than live on my knees. Sorry, but some idiot in a cave is not going to make me change my life or bankrupt me. True freedom means accepting the fact that on any given day you can walk out and get hit by a bus... or should we have Government restrict all bus lanes now too?
    The point is, you don't understand basic math, and everything you say from this point on is read with me shaking my head.

    You're going off on a rant now, honestly, trying to quote probably the most quoted internet line of 2012 because you don't know what else to say. The Olympics are much more important than the Superbowl or the Stanley Cup. Billions were spent on infrastructure and security. It's about improving the city for the future of the economy. It's about having a good excuse to fix your roads, to create new gyms and arenas, and having the Olympics pay for it, even if you fall at a deficit you still benefit in the long-term.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-07-30 at 07:48 PM.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    The point is, you don't understand basic math, and everything you say from this point on is read with me shaking my head.

    You're going off on a rant now, honestly, trying to quote probably the most quoted internet line of 2012 because you don't know what else to say. The Olympics are much more important than the Superbowl or the Stanley Cup. Billions were spent on infrastructure and security. It's about improving the city for the future of the economy. It's about having a good excuse to fix your roads, to create new gyms and arenas, and having the Olympics pay for it, even if you fall at a deficit you still benefit in the long-term.
    Funny because everything you say makes me shake my head too. Maybe we shouldn't reply to each other anymore?

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesclo View Post
    Funny because everything you say makes me shake my head too. Maybe we shouldn't reply to each other anymore?
    Yeah, says the guy who links a "lightning kills just as much as terrorists" when we're talking about the Olympics and "why don't athletes get pure gold!?"

    Alright. Fuzzie should've kept your posts deleted, there was no substance here at all.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-07-30 at 07:51 PM.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Yeah, says the guy who links a "lightning kills just as much as terrorists" when we're talking about the Olympics and "why don't athletes get pure gold!?"

    Alright. Fuzzie should've kept your posts deleted, there was no substance here at all.
    Says the guy that thinks entire nations should bankrupt themselves in the name of brown boogeymen.
    Last edited by Tesclo; 2012-07-30 at 07:52 PM.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesclo View Post
    Says the guy that thinks entire nations should bankrupt themselves in the name of brown boogeymen.
    Do you understand the word infrastructure? What the fuck do you think happens to all the buildings and arenas that they build? I'm honestly starting to think you don't know what that word means.

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-31 at 04:02 AM ----------

    Also,

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...omy-boost-bank

    Olympic Games will boost UK economy, predicts Bank of England
    London 2012 will bring tourist boom and extra public spending that may see off double-dip recession, says Threadneedle Street

    Britain's struggling economy will receive a much-needed boost from the Olympic Games this summer as more tourism and extra public spending lead to increased activity that could spell the end of the double dip recession, the Bank of England said.

    In its assessment of the likely impact of hosting the Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games, Threadneedle Street said it expected output to be around 0.2% higher in the third quarter than it otherwise would have been.

    After the dampening effect of an extra day off for the Queen's diamond jubilee, the Olympics are expected to cause a spike in demand between July and September that may spare the UK a fourth successive quarter of negative growth and bring the double-dip recession to an end.
    In simplest terms... you're wrong.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-07-30 at 07:54 PM.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  12. #52
    Stood in the Fire rogoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    in the land of killer unicrons
    Posts
    390
    if it bothers people that much lets go back to offering olive brach crowns to the best 3 athletes, and have them range in sixe from biggest = first, middle = second, smallest = third, oh, and hand over a jug full of olive oil, and a bunch of flowers from the harvest, thats a much better reward isn't it, hmm i think i remember reading in a history text book thats exactly what the ancient olympians used to get for thier rewards,

    also ur forgetting, the point of the medals, is not the items themselves, but what they represent, they tell people that you were the best at what you did on that day, and nobody can take that away from you, the fact that the majority of the best athletes in the world will have sponsorship deals with multiple companies worldwide, and gain thier income/ "special rewards" through that is neither here nor there , am i right? and finally, if they medals were made of thier pure element not only would they be unable to lifted by anybody but maybe on of the best wieghtlifters in the world, they would cost soo much money to produce, there wouldn't be any money to spend on the stadia/infrastructure/security/misc items that the olympics needs, next time think long and hard before hitting that "post quick reply" button you idiotic cretin.

  13. #53
    Scarab Lord Garnier Fructis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Location:
    Posts
    4,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesclo View Post
    Alex Jones is not a credible source for anything at all.
    Wir müssen wissen. Wir werden wissen.
    Quote Originally Posted by auBerg View Post
    You are a certified crackpot that is subservient to the manipulators of science who are dreaming to control knowledge.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Alex Jones is not a credible source for anything at all.
    And even if he is a credible source, linking that statistic is stupid; anyone who thinks about it for more than 10 seconds should understand why.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  15. #55
    Lets say the whole bill to the Uk for the Olympics is 3 billion.
    All the people visiting pay for Ticket sales, food, hotels, travel and any other expense. This all goes into the British Economy and will start paying that bill off.
    Now lets say it takes 5 years to pay off the bill. The Uk now has world class sports arenas, been able to devlop London (fixing roads, transport etc) and if the Olympics goes well we can apply for other world sporting events in the future.
    Last edited by Funt Case; 2012-07-30 at 08:08 PM.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Alex Jones is not a credible source for anything at all.
    Why? All he really does is link to sources and voice his opinion.

  17. #57
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    5,805
    This thread was created because there was potential for balanced discussion.

    If this continued degeneration into trolling, flaming and racial sterotyping continues it'll be locked and I'll be infracting. Keep it constructive or don't post.

  18. #58
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,322
    I'm guessing you're an American. You do realize that 1.9 Billion was spent in Salt Lake City 2002. An alarming portion of that was in fact for security.

  19. #59
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Psilar View Post
    People saying, "oh you're missing the point if you think it should be gold."

    I believe, the point in it being called a gold medal, is because gold is the shit. The best athletes got the best rewards, and the best reward was gold. It's very true it's entirely symbolic now, which I think, is too bad. It didn't start off as symbolic - the best deserve the best.

    This thread got me thinking. The NFL fronts up to $5000 for Superbowl rings. Some modern rings being appraised at upwards of $20,000.

    The said thing about this is the fact that the Olympics used to cost money because it was an honor. Now people just want to make money on it....
    None of those sports participating in the Olympics generates as much money as the Superbowl does. Sure events like Tour de France and the World cup in football generates much more, but those are isolated events with heavy competetion, whereas cycling and football in the Olympics are nothing in comparison.

    The value of the medal comes from the individual and national pride it generates.

  20. #60
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    5,805
    On that note, I'll be damn interested in seeing how many people tune in to the 100m Mens final.

    Bolt is clearly the biggest name of the Olympics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •