how to make money in the falling market?

So i just came back after a good year of being gone. Gave away all my gold before i left so now i need to make it all back haha. The only way i know of to make some good gold and fast is the ore shuffle. But prices on my server have dropped drastically. Ore is 20g a stack,cut rubies are 50-60g and dust is 20 a stack. I have all the resources and a little bit of financial backing to do whatever. So, the question is, what markets should i be getting into/what should i be selling/what should i be farming. Pretty much what should i do to make money for MoP with all the prices at their lowest?

It's going to be tough if your server is dead. How much are older mats going for?
    At this late point in the game, most people aren't bothering with min/maxing gems/chants etc... However if people are still leveling alts on your server there may be a market for older mats. If not and it looks tough to make money doing that, you could solo farm some wrath dungeons and just vendor everything. You can clear them fairly fast now and money isn't bad.(but doesn't come anywhere close to what you can do playing the AH when the economy is working)

I'm probably not doing much in preparation for MoP, I'm just going to do a bit of work once it comes out. If I was then I'd probably make bags as a lot of people will want them when they start questing, new monk, etc. You could also try making proff leveling kits but thats too time consuming for me.

What i have been doing is profession packages. Although those aren't the best sellers. (never get close to what i ask for) It is a lot of farming that's why i don't want to do it anymore. They got me up to 50k. Old world mats are not really selling either, i have stocked up on a good amount of them from all the farming i did for the profession packages which i figured i would dump at the start of mop with all the new people leveling. The only thing that is really selling is enchanting mats and leather. But i can only farm so much off of the stone drakes, and dust is low but essence and shards are high. Only other way im making money is through my alchemy CDs. (but that isn't much) how could i get enchanting mats without the shuffle because that produces to much dust compared to the others. And its hard to find the ore in bulk because no one is farming it much anymore.

P.S. Here is what i am working with. miner,herbalist,alch,jc,skinner. (my brother does the enchanting and making of leather for me) and 50k to play around with in the AH
    Last edited by Mythere; 2012-07-31 at 02:55 AM.

When the new patch hits expect prices on all mats to go up

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    When the new patch hits expect prices on all mats to go up
    This! I am buying stuff wherever I can find it. Yesterday I came across 100 stacks of Elementium Ore for 20g each as well as 80 stacks of CInderbloom/Heartblossom for 15g each - obviously I nerdgasmed ^^

Well buying everything, putting it in the bank and holding onto it and as soon as 5.0 or MoP hits I'm gonna be filthy rich.
    As a side note - I'm not leaving the herbs as they are, I'm turing them into inks and trading them for older inks. Out of some I make glyphs but I already got a good supply there so mostly it's turing Blackfallow (almost no use as soon as MoP hits) into all the other inks which will be in heavy use.

Deleted
    I am still making money in the traditional way, but waiting for the market to nosedive. Profitability has dropped, but still ok.
    You will make more money by preparing for 5.0 and MOP.
    Selling trade goods such as cloth leather and old ore us a big moneymaker on my server, but check the ah and look at the prices. It all depends how much money you want and the state of the competition about whether to sell now or stockpole for mop.

SSC 250G per boss and Hyjal Summit 300G per boss easily solo-able by at least Blood DK's and BM hunters.

Another great way to make money is get the mats that allow people to level a profession from 1-525 so they can get their new toons ready for MOP.

Only gold that I'm trying to save is to assist me getting JC up to max level.

---------- Post added 2012-07-31 at 08:16 AM ----------

The best idea I've heard for getting rich for MOP.... BUY A LEVEL 25 GUILD WITH OVER 500 MEMBERS and turn off guild repairs.

---------- Post added 2012-07-31 at 08:20 AM ----------

The best idea I've heard for getting rich for MOP.... BUY A LEVEL 25 GUILD WITH OVER 500 MEMBERS and turn off guild repairs.
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

I'm still working the market, pulled in 15k with basic shuffling yesterday even with bargain basement prices. I have been also cutting and selling off my epic gem stock, since my main is more or less done with gear and my alts can make do with blue gems until MoP when I can stuff their gear with the hyperinflated new green gems I cut from skilling up JC. :P

The money is still there. The margins are lower, but if you work the market hard enough, you will continue to cash in. Take advantage of cheap ore prices, save some stock in reserve for the VP to JP gear switch in 5.0 (lot of people will be buying 397s they couldn't get before on alts) and rush the market then, but just keep working and you'll get the gold.

transmog sales never seem to slow down

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    What and how do you farm for transmog sales?

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    They surely have on my server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sell Old-Content stuff... My usual Potion-Mastery Alchemy has dropped a buttload since the 20% nerf.
    Don't get me wrong, I do still get a few thousand gold a week from it, but selling low-level achivement bound stuff today rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed people are stockpiling mats to level professions on new toons. Ive also sold a few more BoA enchants, such as Enchant Cloak -Stealth, whic is +8 Agi and + 8 Dodge. But to make money, the JC shuffle is still going strong with Elementium dropping as low as 12g per stack.

Quote Originally Posted by macdisciple View Post
    I've noticed people are stockpiling mats to level professions on new toons. Ive also sold a few more BoA enchants, such as Enchant Cloak -Stealth, whic is +8 Agi and + 8 Dodge. But to make money, the JC shuffle is still going strong with Elementium dropping as low as 12g per stack.
    This with elementium ore prices. Purchased a couple pages of ore for 12g on sunday I think. Then yesterday, being tuesday and raid resets. By the end of the night I was selling cut infernos for 150g each.

Add in all the jewelry you make and xmutes if you have access to an alchemist. Tons of profit. I stopped disenchanting all the green jewelry due to not wanting to bother mailing them off and DEing all them and started to just vendor all the greens for 5.5g a pop. That alone pays off part of all the ore I got for 12g..

Quote Originally Posted by Pwndabear View Post
    This! I am buying stuff wherever I can find it. Yesterday I came across 100 stacks of Elementium Ore for 20g each as well as 80 stacks of CInderbloom/Heartblossom for 15g each - obviously I nerdgasmed ^^

Well buying everything, putting it in the bank and holding onto it and as soon as 5.0 or MoP hits I'm gonna be filthy rich.
    As a side note - I'm not leaving the herbs as they are, I'm turing them into inks and trading them for older inks. Out of some I make glyphs but I already got a good supply there so mostly it's turing Blackfallow (almost no use as soon as MoP hits) into all the other inks which will be in heavy use.
    Maybe a stupid question, but why would the market be better after 5.0 than now?

I have a alt with a bank full of ores, embersilk cloth, dusts, shards, gems, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Necket View Post
    Maybe a stupid question, but why would the market be better after 5.0 than now?

I have a alt with a bank full of ores, embersilk cloth, dusts, shards, gems, etc.
    5.0 pre-MoP patch, the current VP gear will cost JP. People will buy it all up, needing gems and enchants.
    Last edited by trips25; 2012-08-01 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trips25 View Post
    5.0 pre-MoP patch, the current VP gear will cost JP. People will buy it all up, needing gems and enchants.
    ah right thanks
    I'll save the mats till 5.0!

10+ Year Old Account
    Go to AQ20. Kill all trash and loot all greens. Check https://eu.theunderminejournal.com/ how much is the item worth (rare=more cash). After you are done with this go araund azeroth and kill ALL 10-62 rare mobs (avoid the elite 1 in ferlas).
    After this go on ah and put each item for the best posible price posible. Normal instances also work (there is some green gear ppl like--but not so much becuase ppl lvl alts and farm random dungeon normals).

Now run some Tbc heroics and normals (there are few sets there that sell for 1k gold a piece).

This sets are best too sell in my option:
    http://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=1170 (with difrent chest)
    http://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=330 (best posible item to sell)
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=9999
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=14045 (whole set)
    http://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=327
    http://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=162 (red recolor sells best--to orc rogues)
    http://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=319 (rare and sexy)
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=14835
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=14895

Here is 1 example:

Just hope you dont have some1 else selling those items (same items). Its also a good idea to check Ah for those cheap items and sell them either as full set (on trade) or by parts (high price).
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Pretty much every set that has a plate bikini is going to sell for a lot. Especially if you get the leg slot, those are often up for sale for a few thousand. Now I don't know if they ever sell, but that's been the range that they're always posted at.