Poll: Which Elder Scrolls game did you like the most (Arena and Daggerfall not included)?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've played all 3. Still went with Skyrim.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I dont know what Morrowind you were playing but there was no run function. You either walk, walk slightly faster with floppy arms or stand while slowly moving forward.
    Uh, you could move WAY faster in Morrowind than you can run in Skyrim. In fact, if you stack enough speed, reaching areas before the ground loads in becomes a real concern. You pretty much become The Flash.

Played all; and I believe Skyrim is the best one by far

and to people complaining about Skyrims main story; it's not amazingly original or anything but it a bzillion times better than Oblivion; and the side quests of Skyrim? Like dark brotherhood and thieves guild are pretty darn good, much better than the main story.

but really, oblivion gates? awful, awful story.
    Last edited by Shiny212; 2013-01-23 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Uh, you could move WAY faster in Morrowind than you can run in Skyrim. In fact, if you stack enough speed, reaching areas before the ground loads in becomes a real concern. You pretty much become The Flash.
    Yes, when you stack speed. You can also become god that regenerates 50 000 HP per second for few months. That doesnt mean that I can move quickly at start, where it is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    and to people complaining about Skyrims main story; it's not amazingly original or anything but it a bzillion times better than Oblivion; and the side quests of Skyrim? Like dark brotherhood and thieves guild are pretty darn good, much better than the main story.
    Not really. Or rather - not at all. But I suppose that's a subjective matter.

Yes, when you stack speed. You can also become god that regenerates 50 000 HP per second for few months. That doesnt mean that I can move quickly at start, where it is most important.
    You're not supposed to have it good at the start. That's why it's a start.

Roll a combat specialized Dunmer with favored attributes of strength and speed with athletics as a major skill and sign of The Steed. 85 Speed at level 1 along with 45 athletics. As long as you keep your encumbrance reasonably low you'll be zooming all over the place.

Deleted
    Morrowind was released before my time so the first game in the series I played was Oblivion. I did try it later but it looked too ugly and had no voiced dialogue so gave up after 10 minutes:P

So I guess

1. Shivering Isles - it was absolutely amazing. Loved every minute of it.
    2. Skyrim - It was a bit dull at release and too easy so I gave up and never finished it then. Started it again with over 100 mods so it's much much better.
    3. Oblivion - horribly bugged and unbalanced without mods. Otherwise decent for the story and the open world. Got a lot better with mods but I wasnt very experienced at it at ruined it with immersion breaking mods.
    4. Morrowind - only seen Youtube videos. Looks like Super Mario and seemed to have even more balance issues than Oblivion:P I don't think I would have liked it much.. maybe never got into the series if I was born 5-10 years earlier.

Deleted
    Morrowind by far, in my opinion one of if not THE best rpg game of all time.
    - The freedom is amazing, not just the open world but the levitate and acrobatics skills, not to mention the ability to gain a ton of speed.
    - The spellcrafting, was so much fun crafting your own spells.
    - The story is one of my all time favorite game stories, I may be somewhat egomaniacle but become basicly a demigod just felt great.

Oblivion just never connected for me, until heavy modding
    - The item scaling was just pure fail in my opinion
    - The story was okay, but nothing special
    - The voice acting was nice though.

Skyrim was a refreshing continuation of the series after the disconnect of Oblivion and comes close to Morrowind
    - The shout system was fun
    - The quality of life improvements were nice, still feel somewhat dumbed down, but they work.
    - The main story was decent enough but somewhat short, though the other side stories, like thieves guild was good
    - The whole underground world was awesome

In conclusion, Morrowind>>Skyrim>>>>>>>>Oblivion.

10+ Year Old Account
    A learned player can take like two silt strider rides to a certain town and pick up the boots of blinding speed, which increase your speed by 300, but completely blind you. The blinding effect can be mitigated to an extent by picking up magic resist items. But basically you would just use the boots of blinding speed for traveling around the place as Morrowind had no instant fast travel from anywhere, then take them off when you need to fight. Navigation while blind wasnt really a problem, you just used the minimap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    Atm ive logged more hours into skyrim but I like all 3
    my only real complaint is the dark brotherhood quests are always way too short
    if they did a expantion with them close to the shivering isles
    Last edited by Window; 2013-01-25 at 06:59 AM.
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

I agree with a lot of people in this thread.

Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion. No Morrowind was not the first TES game I played, Daggerfall was. I would rate it below skyrim and above oblivion.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Morrowind-> auto run against a building to max stamina, and jump all the freaking time to max that, kept getting caught outside all the time and turned into a werewolf or vampire...game was buggy but for some reason still loved it.

Oblivion-> felt so alone and empty, questing was a bit easier.

Haven't played skyrim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Black Marsh ;p.

Quote Originally Posted by GangreI View Post
    Morrowind by far, in my opinion one of if not THE best rpg game of all time.
    - The freedom is amazing, not just the open world but the levitate and acrobatics skills, not to mention the ability to gain a ton of speed.
    - The spellcrafting, was so much fun crafting your own spells.
    - The story is one of my all time favorite game stories, I may be somewhat egomaniacle but become basicly a demigod just felt great.

Oblivion just never connected for me, until heavy modding
    - The item scaling was just pure fail in my opinion
    - The story was okay, but nothing special
    - The voice acting was nice though.

Skyrim was a refreshing continuation of the series after the disconnect of Oblivion and comes close to Morrowind
    - The shout system was fun
    - The quality of life improvements were nice, still feel somewhat dumbed down, but they work.
    - The main story was decent enough but somewhat short, though the other side stories, like thieves guild was good
    - The whole underground world was awesome

In conclusion, Morrowind>>Skyrim>>>>>>>>Oblivion.
    Well Morrowind was for the truly hardcore RPG fans. Skyrim opened the TES franchise to a whole and brand new audience including me that never heard of the TES series. I've had to go back and play the other ones after picking up Skyrim. A lot of people are saying that the story line in Skyrim wasn't original and too short. Well the story delivered what it wanted to and that was more important. However the other parts of the game are simply amazing. The thieves and dark brotherhood offer some of the best story lines and quest chains in any RPG or MMO. There are so many other quests that really leave you amazed.

I mean after all isn't TES about doing what you want and being who you want? So I think Skyrim totally delivers on that part. However, Skyrim also delivered on a very polished RPG compared to its predecessors and I think TESnline wouldn't get that big a following if it wasn't for Skyrim.

Also dragon shouts seem like a really simple idea yet no had come up with them not that I know of and I think they worked it out very well. So I agree with you on most of the points but I have to say Skyrim is one of the if not the best RPG ever made.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wont vote since i havent played all 3, but i found skyrim a lot easier to get into than oblivion, in oblivion i just ended up as a vampire for the dark brotherhood with everyone hating me . I also found the graphics in oblivion to be shite even when it first came out. I also had no idea what the main story was in oblivion :P, guess i was a noob to open world rpgs after playing jrpgs for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Roll a combat specialized Dunmer with favored attributes of strength and speed with athletics as a major skill and sign of The Steed. 85 Speed at level 1 along with 45 athletics. As long as you keep your encumbrance reasonably low you'll be zooming all over the place.
    Asking people to actually think of character builds is too much.

It seems like the concept of character and character skill has totally vanished from RPGs in favour of playerskill and player, reducing them to action games. :|

---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 03:05 PM ----------

Anyhow, Morrowind, by far and soundly so.

The user interface is slick and designed the PC in mind. You see EVERYTHING at single button press and are able to customize the size of each window to fit your needs/monitor. The inventory especially I find to be the best of the serie as with clear icons of items and enchantments on them and grid based positions / item type sorting you can easily find anything you need without having to go through several buttons and scroll lines of text back and forth.

Also, I like to read a lot in my RPGs so the journal, vastly improved with expansions (It's initial shape was awful) makes questing and just reading information you've picked up on the route pleasant experience. Lots of texts for even simplests of quests is a big plus for me as it shows how much effort has been put into the design and attempt of creating flavour.

I also prefer to have very down to smallest detail control of my character and it's builds so Morrowind wins hand down there once more, having the most skills, most spell effects to tamper with in spell crafter (Something Skyrim misses as a whole) and most schools of magic with each of their own purpose.

Melee CAN be a bit meh but I blame it more due to the lack of proper dodging/blocking animations which ultimately makes the game look that you're not hitting while you seem like you would. Still, I enjoy the implications of the system behind the melee and how different attributes and skills affect the outcome (More willpower = more stamina = higher chance to hit, lowers as you lose stamina (And adds knockdown possibility). More agility = more chance to hit/able to dodge etc.)

It also has most REAL choices and consequenses, as many factions you join have their opposing force and lot of the high end quests in fact pretty much dissolves the other one. Great Houses are great for political play and each of the factions are unique with different flavours and preferances.

Main quest is not the run of the mill save the day hero kind of thing but rather political play between Empire and many tribes/Houses of the Vvaddenfel and while you become "Chosen One" in the end, it's quite clear that chosen one could've been anyone with a bit of luck on the way and as such is nothing special. (+ there is some nifty House Dagoth mod which lets you take the side of Dagoth Ur in the game and then go on a campaign at his side. It was already implied possibility during the questline itself but I think they cut it out due to time limits)

The amount of detail put into Morrowind is simply mind boggling, with each of the areas having culturally different clothing and housing architectures down to such details that if you go to read runes on some robes to different Gods and find something to translate them with, they actually make proper sentences to praise their religion or stand out as holy words.

All in all, I can't see how either of the following game would have anything on Morrowind with the exception of improved melee combat at a loss of character focus (Which in the end wasn't improvement at all for me).

I never liked Oblivion, it was the game I probably was most hyped for ever and then ultimately wasn't able to play longer than week (I already had bad feeling about it on my first day when I finished whole Arena as level 2 dude).

Skyrim I enjoyed, it stripped away a lot what I like in RPGs and as such I treated it more like action adventure in open world and it was good at that for 30 levels or so, very atmospheric game. After that with rebalance mods I've managed to prolong the gametime on it a lot further.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2013-01-25 at 01:20 PM.

Deleted
    Morrowind for the story and every side quest and factions in the game. Skyrim had great gameplay and graphics but the main story wasn't that great, Oblivion had Shivering Isles which i loved but compared to Skyrim and Morrowind it falls short

All three games were groundbreaking in terms of advancing the open world RPG genre.

Skyrim has to be the best though. The massive mod community, the story, the graphics, the gameplay. Coulden't put it down for the first few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Asking people to actually think of character builds is too much.

It seems like the concept of character and character skill has totally vanished from RPGs in favour of playerskill and player, reducing them to action games. :|

---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 03:05 PM ----------

Anyhow, Morrowind, by far and soundly so.

The user interface is slick and designed the PC in mind. You see EVERYTHING at single button press and are able to customize the size of each window to fit your needs/monitor. The inventory especially I find to be the best of the serie as with clear icons of items and enchantments on them and grid based positions / item type sorting you can easily find anything you need without having to go through several buttons and scroll lines of text back and forth.

Also, I like to read a lot in my RPGs so the journal, vastly improved with expansions (It's initial shape was awful) makes questing and just reading information you've picked up on the route pleasant experience. Lots of texts for even simplests of quests is a big plus for me as it shows how much effort has been put into the design and attempt of creating flavour.

I also prefer to have very down to smallest detail control of my character and it's builds so Morrowind wins hand down there once more, having the most skills, most spell effects to tamper with in spell crafter (Something Skyrim misses as a whole) and most schools of magic with each of their own purpose.

Melee CAN be a bit meh but I blame it more due to the lack of proper dodging/blocking animations which ultimately makes the game look that you're not hitting while you seem like you would. Still, I enjoy the implications of the system behind the melee and how different attributes and skills affect the outcome (More willpower = more stamina = higher chance to hit, lowers as you lose stamina (And adds knockdown possibility). More agility = more chance to hit/able to dodge etc.)

It also has most REAL choices and consequenses, as many factions you join have their opposing force and lot of the high end quests in fact pretty much dissolves the other one. Great Houses are great for political play and each of the factions are unique with different flavours and preferances.

Main quest is not the run of the mill save the day hero kind of thing but rather political play between Empire and many tribes/Houses of the Vvaddenfel and while you become "Chosen One" in the end, it's quite clear that chosen one could've been anyone with a bit of luck on the way and as such is nothing special. (+ there is some nifty House Dagoth mod which lets you take the side of Dagoth Ur in the game and then go on a campaign at his side. It was already implied possibility during the questline itself but I think they cut it out due to time limits)

The amount of detail put into Morrowind is simply mind boggling, with each of the areas having culturally different clothing and housing architectures down to such details that if you go to read runes on some robes to different Gods and find something to translate them with, they actually make proper sentences to praise their religion or stand out as holy words.

All in all, I can't see how either of the following game would have anything on Morrowind with the exception of improved melee combat at a loss of character focus (Which in the end wasn't improvement at all for me).

I never liked Oblivion, it was the game I probably was most hyped for ever and then ultimately wasn't able to play longer than week (I already had bad feeling about it on my first day when I finished whole Arena as level 2 dude).

Skyrim I enjoyed, it stripped away a lot what I like in RPGs and as such I treated it more like action adventure in open world and it was good at that for 30 levels or so, very atmospheric game. After that with rebalance mods I've managed to prolong the gametime on it a lot further.
    Well writen, the architect was one off the things i loved the most in morrowind, very diffrent with alien like buildings. Nothing like oblivion and skyrim where there is almost only realistic buildings.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wynterlyn View Post
    Well Morrowind was for the truly hardcore RPG fans. Skyrim opened the TES franchise to a whole and brand new audience including me that never heard of the TES series. I've had to go back and play the other ones after picking up Skyrim. A lot of people are saying that the story line in Skyrim wasn't original and too short. Well the story delivered what it wanted to and that was more important. However the other parts of the game are simply amazing. The thieves and dark brotherhood offer some of the best story lines and quest chains in any RPG or MMO. There are so many other quests that really leave you amazed.

I mean after all isn't TES about doing what you want and being who you want? So I think Skyrim totally delivers on that part. However, Skyrim also delivered on a very polished RPG compared to its predecessors and I think TESnline wouldn't get that big a following if it wasn't for Skyrim.

Also dragon shouts seem like a really simple idea yet no had come up with them not that I know of and I think they worked it out very well. So I agree with you on most of the points but I have to say Skyrim is one of the if not the best RPG ever made.
    I agree with what you are saying, in the end why I like morrowind better is personal preference of enjoying "hardcore" rpg elements more than skyrims action rpg leaning gameplay. And in the end you can't quantify the correct answer to the question in this thread, it is down to each individuals personal preference ^^.
    Last edited by mmoc7dd89c4c59; 2013-01-25 at 07:28 PM.