Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lota7 View Post
    Spending all your time on videogames and fast foods can get you this.
    While I can understand that online friends can be friends, but best friends? Or even close? It takes a pretty lonely person to think that.
    The world's changing, bro. People are meeting and interacting in different ways.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Folks please understand I don't mean 100% of online friends are 100% genuine and perfect and 100% of real life friends are terrible, etc. I suppose the title was wrongly worded, but I was tearing up a bit, so my mind was a little off. Essentially, the point is, online friends can be/become real friends, yes some of the more recent above posts make good points, but this isn't the case with 100% of the population. We all have our quirks and some of us can look past others' quirks.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Fortyish seems pretty young to have heart issues. What happened?
    You'd be surprised. In my line of work I happen to see a lot of death certificates and thus, reasons for death. The age that people pass away can be surprisingly low, and it happens more often than you'd think.

Partly why I joined a gym recently.

As for the OP's topic, I find it interesting how the 'RL' friend, in his quest to have 'true' friendships, probably ended up alienating himself from so many of his friends by avoiding Facebook, the internet, and even phones. At the very least he definitely alienated the OP. So who's having the better friendships out of the OP and this other guy?

Honestly, at the end of the day you have two methods of dealing with ignorance: ignore them, or try to educate them (in a non-patronising/insulting manner). Ideally it'd be the latter, but I know that can be taken the wrong way even with the best of intentions (and people may not even want to be educated), so ignoring may be the only option unfortunately.

Online relationships are definitely just as valid as 'RL' ones. It's just a different method of communication, is all.
    Last edited by Kisho; 2012-07-31 at 07:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    The world's changing, bro. People are meeting and interacting in different ways.
    Doesn't change the fact that you can't really know someone until you've met them, have been to their home, have been out drinking with them, and have slept with them.

And I don't mean "had sex with them," I mean actually slept with them, in the same room, or at least the same home.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Thing about Online friendships is there either a hit or a miss. Most people just want something out of you these days.
    Same is true of real life friendships.

The real difference, IMO, is that certain social pressures don't exist over the internet. You aren't "being watched" by everyone around and you can easily disappear from someones life without much difficulty. In WoW, it'd be as easy as transferring servers and perhaps removing them from RealID.

In person, it usually means switching schools/moving to a different town/switching jobs to legitimately disappear from someone's life.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Folks please understand I don't mean 100% of online friends are 100% genuine and perfect and 100% of real life friends are terrible, etc. I suppose the title was wrongly worded, but I was tearing up a bit, so my mind was a little off. Essentially, the point is, online friends can be/become real friends, yes some of the more recent above posts make good points, but this isn't the case with 100% of the population. We all have our quirks and some of us can look past others' quirks.
    Yeah I probably should have clarified that in my posts. Not all people in real life are bad and not all people online are good. There are good and bad in both. The trick is surrounding yourself with as much good online and offline as possible and shutting out the bad in both.

While I can understand that online friends can be friends, but best friends? Or even close? It takes a pretty lonely person to think that.
    It's actually very closed minded of you to think that way.

OT: I met my best bud years ago playing halo 2 in 2005 and it turned out he lived in the same state as me so we would hang out here and there. Now we usually chill on our computers and bs about stuff and play games and we go to a local place nearby and grab some wings, pizza, and beer on Mondays (aka my cheat day). Also my condolences to you Deltrus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey Del, I'm really sorry to hear what happened about your friend. Now I kind of wish I wasn't sick and could be on WoW to talk to you about it over real id :<
    I totally agree with what you said about online friends being no different than real life friends, in the sense that you can have the same, genuine friendship.
    I cherish our friendship as much as I would any of my real life friendships ^-^

Thank you Shyama for the beautiful sig ♥

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Honestly, at the end of the day you have two methods of dealing with ignorance: ignore them, or try to educate them (in a non-patronising/insulting manner). Ideally it'd be the latter, but I know that can be taken the wrong way even with the best of intentions (and people may not even want to be educated), so ignoring may be the only option unfortunately.
    Yeah, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, I gave him many chances, he only got worse with time. He used to have less issue with talking on the phone/on IM/Facebook, but I noticed through his time in college, it just dwindled. Finally I was just fed up trying and felt ignored, myself.
    "A flower.

Conversely, people you are friends with in video games can become very close if you end up meeting them in person especially.

For instance:

http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments...k_and_adalian/
    http://voices.yahoo.com/a-world-warc...54.html?cat=19
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lter-egos.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    quested with celebrities.
    i like to think that ive helped Vin Diesel or Mila Kunis quest, dungeon, etc.

OT: Ive made some great friends through WoW, we've caught up for drinks, and talk both ingame and IRL all the time. Meeting each other for the first time didnt really change a thing either. Our opinions didnt change or anything, it really became a face to the voice, and the same person youve been speaking and chatting to for all this time. I like to treat all my WoW Buddies as friends, as the anonymity of the internet helps bring people closer, i like to think. Your willing to talk to someone youve just met for a few hours/days/weeks or what not, people you have never met IRL or seen, and can talk to them about nearly anything. At the end of the day, we're all human beings communicating through a different medium.

For those that say "wow friends are not real friends", what makes a real friend? Someone you see and speak to? IRL Friends wont always be there, but im sure if you log on, theres going to be at least one of your WoW Friends online that you can chat to.

I actually like my online friends more than my RL ones. Probably because of the fast judgement people carry IRL, as opposed to starting off in the same boat as people online. (ie; both playing wow)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunaesca View Post
    Hey Del, I'm really sorry to hear what happened about your friend. Now I kind of wish I wasn't sick and could be on WoW to talk to you about it over real id :<
    I totally agree with what you said about online friends being no different than real life friends, in the sense that you can have the same, genuine friendship.
    I cherish our friendship as much as I would any of my real life friendships ^-^
    Hey thanks. I'll PM you on here, I don't get on Diablo 3 anymore, so don't worry about it. :P Also, same to you, Lunaesca.

---------- Post added 2012-07-31 at 07:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    Conversely, people you are friends with in video games can become very close if you end up meeting them in person especially.

For instance:

http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments...k_and_adalian/
    http://voices.yahoo.com/a-world-warc...54.html?cat=19
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lter-egos.html
    Aye, actually have met a few folks I've met in both WoW and Rift. Some old WoW guildies moved to the area last Fall and we met up for some Gino's East deep dish pizza, was most superb! The behavior on all our parts was so much like our in-game selves, hanging out and chatting was nothing different.

Went bowling with a couple ex-guildies a few months back from Rift and while one got on my nerves actually in-game, the other I am still acquaintances with, I'd say. Still, I can appreciate his kind goodwill, providing me with some beer that night and all.

---------- Post added 2012-07-31 at 08:16 AM ----------

Interesting, how coincidences work. We just had a very random storm come over my area that I had no idea would be coming. Decided to sit outside towards its ending and just listen to it and sip coffee, what a great way to ponder calmly.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Hey thanks. I'll PM you on here, I don't get on Diablo 3 anymore, so don't worry about it. :P Also, same to you, Lunaesca.
    I think it's kinda funny how a lot of people in my guild were talking about how we'd all just end up moving to D3 and then a week after release we're all back to playing WoW and looking at the people still playing D3 like they're some kind of weird mutants.

Aye, actually have met a few folks I've met in both WoW and Rift. Some old WoW guildies moved to the area last Fall and we met up for some Gino's East deep dish pizza, was most superb! The behavior on all our parts was so much like our in-game selves, hanging out and chatting was nothing different.

Went bowling with a couple ex-guildies a few months back from Rift and while one got on my nerves actually in-game, the other I am still acquaintances with, I'd say. Still, I can appreciate his kind goodwill, providing me with some beer that night and all.
    Shit, the pizza's the only reason I'd ever want to be that far north. Nothing beats Chicago-style.

Meeting online friends is great and lets it really turn into a real friendship, but not everyone is the same in person as they are online. Online, you don't have to worry about being insecure about your weight, your appearance. Maybe you smell bad or lack a certain amount of grace, or you breathe through your mouth (loudly!) Those kinds of things aren't an issue online, and even talking over Vent is easier than talking face to face for some people.

Plus, you aren't getting the full benefit of nonverbal communication over Vent, or even with webcams through Skype or whatever. There's no substitute for face to face communication and I frankly don't think you can actually trust someone until you've been able to really get a good look at their eyes.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Real friendship is about interaction between two individuals.
    It's not about two meat-bags being physically close to each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's kinda funny how a lot of people in my guild were talking about how we'd all just end up moving to D3 and then a week after release we're all back to playing WoW and looking at the people still playing D3 like they're some kind of weird mutants.
    hehe, too true, too true...

Plus, you aren't getting the full benefit of nonverbal communication over Vent, or even with webcams through Skype or whatever. There's no substitute for face to face communication and I frankly don't think you can actually trust someone until you've been able to really get a good look at their eyes.
    Perhaps it is that I am just one of the more gullible types, (and believe me, it's gotten the better of me) but not everyone is so terrible. For instance, this friend who just passed, I only ever saw her face in pictures, but she never asked me for anything. She was kind and giving in whatever game, she always was available to give me advice on something, be it computer-related or personal, and frankly, it's things like that, that show you, this person is someone special. I don't care that I never saw her face, but I do wish I could have gotten one hug before this event. (I am one of those hugoholics. heh)

---------- Post added 2012-07-31 at 08:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ayashi View Post
    Real friendship is about interaction between two individuals.
    It's not about two meat-bags being physically close to each other.
    I must say, I love the simple, short, yet amazing way you put it. I will be quoting you on Facebook in my favorite quotations section.
    "A flower.

You'll know a real friend when everything goes into shit and you need help, he/she will lend you money will help you move out will let you stay in his/her home. Real friend are like family I've never experienced this with and online person, sure I laugh make jokes spend a lot of time with them, but that doesn't mean shit when things go down...

Keep your real friends you cannot count on online friends

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rork View Post
    You'll know a real friend when everything goes into shit and you need help, he/she will lend you money will help you move out will let you stay in his/her home. Real friend are like family I've never experienced this with and online person, sure I laugh make jokes spend a lot of time with them, but that doesn't mean shit when things go down...

Keep your real friends you cannot count on online friends
    Sure you can.

What you're saying just makes it sound like you use your friends.

Thank you Shyama for the beautiful sig ♥

Deleted
    My vanila friends quit in vanila or in mid tbc
    All i have left are the ones i met during tbc and some wotlk
    Made zero friends in cataclym
    Lost a ton of them

Quote Originally Posted by Lunaesca View Post
    Sure you can.

What you're saying just makes it sound like you use your friends.
    BS I'll do the same for them ... that's what real friendship is all about.

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss.

I agree 110% with you. People say you're not social and sh*t when you're playing video games more than they'd like you to play them. BS.. I met my boyfriend through WoW and am now living with him. Been together for 2 1/2 years now. We did meet ONLINE and lived 300-400 km away from each other + he's eight years older than me.
    How many prejudices do you think we slapped down? "You can't feel anything for someone you haven't met." Indeed you can... "You can't have long distance relationships." Yes you can. "You can't have a long relationship with so much difference in age." Uhm, yes.. Yes you can. And you can have all of them together. People just need to open their eyes and not judge anyone/anything before they know what they're talking about.

-Piq :-)