LoL like add-on for WoW

Hey all.

Was playing League the other day and was thinking that I really like how when you are moused over your QWER, it emanates the blue circle from your body to show how far the range is on whatever you want to use. So I thought to myself "Wow, that'd be really useful on WoW, I see mages waste Frost Nova all the time because they thought they were close enough but they weren't." And I was just thinking of even more uses for it, like Fan of Knives, you think it will hit, but it doesn't, you've just wasted a chunk of energy. Personally, I think it would be neat to always see the range for Bladestorm since my main is a warrior.

But anyway, I'm not sure if an addon like this exists already, but if it doesn't heads up to anyone that would want to make one on their free time. I feel like a lot of people would appreciate something like that.

This kind of already existed at the end of wotlk where you could draw stuff on the floor using an addon but then blizzard said we couldn't do that because it made the game too easy raidingwise.
    So no I don't think anyone would be allowed to make an addon for it.
    Specs: I5 3570K - GTX 670 - 8 gb ram
    My youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/aldrashan

Oh yeah, I remember that one... Blizzard broke it purposely. Leave it to Blizzard to blame an add-on for the raids being easy.

It would be illegal as it adds textures to the game. This is the very same reason that the DBM like addon got broken in Wrath. Can't remember the addon's name however.

---------- Post added 2012-07-31 at 08:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by whyumadbro View Post
    Oh yeah, I remember that one... Blizzard broke it purposely. Leave it to Blizzard to blame an add-on for the raids being easy.
    They broke it because you were adding textures and stuff like it that are not part of the game. That was their quarrel with it. had it just left it like DBM was with small tweaks it would not have been broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanamman View Post
    It would be illegal as it adds textures to the game. This is the very same reason that the DBM like addon got broken in Wrath. Can't remember the addon's name however.

---------- Post added 2012-07-31 at 08:15 PM ----------

They broke it because you were adding textures and stuff like it that are not part of the game. That was their quarrel with it. had it just left it like DBM was with small tweaks it would not have been broken.
    It was AVR, and there was a DBM plug-in for AVR. To get technical, it wasn't adding textures to the game or modifying the game world. It was drawing stuff on your screen in 2d, like any other addon menu or power auras, but using trigonometry and lots of math, it altered the shape of it to look 3d. It all relied on being able to get the camera angle, which you can't anymore. Also, when you jumped or went up a ramp, all the stuff on screen moved with you upwards because AVR couldn't get the position of the camera, most didn't notice because most boss fight rooms don't have slopes and such.
    Moo.

In the end, AVR did actually contribute something positive to the game by inducing Blizz to add ground-based raid markers, which is something that previously had to be accomplished by strategically dropping shaman totems or using various vanity-type items/effects if you didn't have something like AVR.
    Last edited by underdogba; 2012-07-31 at 08:54 PM.

The problem with AVR was that it was capable of showing what no player was meant to see.
    Not only the range of their own abilities, but that of bosses and even in select cases where an ability would land before it did.
    Where to stand, where to move, when to move.
    It trivialised several encounters, so was a bad thing.

What you want is therefore no longer possible at least not on the 3rd world.
    There are 2d range finders such as those in Boss Mods, but are rather more limited.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2012-07-31 at 08:56 PM.

Deleted
    Well, something alike to what AVR-E did still exists (the displaying where abilities will land part). It's called HudMap, and it's essentially a 2D map overlayed over your screen that shows your own/raid members' positions plus player-targetted abilities (the same ones AVR-E showed). I'm not sure if it's still being maintained. It takes some getting used to, but it was still pretty good to have on Rotface after AVR was broken.

OT: Yeah, as posters above me have said, addons can't draw on the 3D world.
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2012-08-01 at 03:19 PM.