View Poll Results: Like or dislike ToR going F2P?

Voters
404. This poll is closed

207 51.24%
  • Dislike

77 19.06%
  • Neutral

120 29.70%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't exactly matter to me, if I stay subscribed my game experience isn't going to change, and might even improve. I can see why expanding the audience is a good thing, they might gain some subscriber converts from F2P and they'll make money off micro-transactions. As long as there are over 500k subscribed they make money according to their own financials, so yeah, I'm fairly neutral about this.

10+ Year Old Account
    i understand the reasoning behind dropping a sub-based model, imho, i believe its short-sighted option, one that places an emphasis on financial profit in an effort to appease the investors, rather than spending more capital to fix issues that would better serve the long term state of the game.

essentially they decided to wave the white flag and jump on the cash shop/micro transactions bandwagon that other failed / disappointing MMOs have since resorted to in order to stay afloat. im not saying its not a lucrative strategy, its just more of a self-preservation one. where's the incentive to add more content or features when they can get fat on whatever crap they make available for micro-transactions?

Like it but I hate it, all those people are going to be playing for free can't do OPS and have limited access to flash points, space missions and warzones. I get that they need to make money somehow and will charge for unlimited access to them, but come on, the whole reason to level up is to do end game pvp and OPS.

Quote Originally Posted by animeguru08 View Post
    Like it but I hate it, all those people are going to be playing for free can't do OPS and have limited access to flash points, space missions and warzones. I get that they need to make money somehow and will charge for unlimited access to them, but come on, the whole reason to level up is to do end game pvp and OPS.
    Well I can do without Warzones, OPS certain flashpoints. I have seen better PVP in other games so it wont hurt me. I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again. TOR felt like a SP game with MP aspects thrown in and they called it an MMO. I payed $70 bucks for this game and I would like finish the single player aspect of it without a monthly fee. That is all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    Sounds good to me, then even if I go broke as all hell I could level alts to 50 and play warzones and stuff for all eternity without paying a nickel
    Well technically you would have to pay for your internet connection and electricity in order to play it....but that's getting technical.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    i am absolutely chuffed this is happening particularly whats on offer. they truly have stolen the thunder of another release coming out. i think star wars just won the f2p battle for the year.
    That remains to be seen. I see this more of a recognition that player atrophy will increase given the competitive landscape: Guild Wars 2, Mists of Pandaria, expansions for Rift and LOTRO, and the recently released Tera and The Secret World (which is getting much better reviews than i expected).

Rather than waiting for inevitable failure, moving to a Free-2-Play model within a year shows they're willing to adapt. I actually think this is a very positive move for SW:TOR and allows possibly even for future growth.

1.7 million boxed copy purchasers now have a reason to come back (credits + no sub). And hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people on the fence will now try the game. Imagine if, 6-12 months from now, they offer a Chapter 6 Character story in the store for $9.99. I bet a ton of people will buy it.

F2P is not a failure. I *can* be a failure if poorly implemented. Unlimited character story access from level 1-50 does not sound flawed to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Xolotl View Post
    f2p is pretty much the death sentence. A skeleton crew left to maintain the most basic vitals in the game, mostly working on item-shop content so EA can squeeze out some bucks and break even.

f2p sucks in general but it's even worse here.
    F2P saved Dungeons and Dragons Online and Lord of the Rings Online. LOTRO has released several new mechanics including skirmishes, 2 expansions (Mirkwood, Isengard) and has a 3rd one coming that is very ambitious (Mounted Combat). Its a 250-500k MMO with a very active community...and they're clearly profitable otherwise they wouldn't continue releasing updates.

DCUO is another example. Hard to justify a monthly subscription, but I've plopped down $20 to buy 3 expansion packs of content for additional hero powers. That's $20 they never would have got from me, since I was not going to buy a license + subscription to play casually. The game continues to get updates, and continues to be profitable for SoE.

World of Tanks. Not a traditional MMO, but its making huge amounts of money.

Lots of examples of F2P working, and driving quality products.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally like it. I bought the game a few months ago and quit with the free month having a couple of days remaining. It didn't feel worth a sub, but I'm willing to install it for the F2P option.

Based on the current information provided, I am neutral about it. As long as they keep the cash shop cosmetic and convenience only, I think it could be good for the game. Plus I get free coins with my sub, so thats nice.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Based on the current information provided, I am neutral about it. As long as they keep the cash shop cosmetic and convenience only, I think it could be good for the game. Plus I get free coins with my sub, so thats nice.
    I think it is likely that the coin shop will also have the ability for people to buy being able to do extra flashpoints and pvp each week.

Dislike very much.

Bioware has spit on my belief in them and have lost me forever because of it.

Sad, I DID like this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I think it is likely that the coin shop will also have the ability for people to buy being able to do extra flashpoints and pvp each week.
    I'm interested in seeing the prices for that, something tells me choosing content won't be as much of a free choice as some think, as in I don't think buying in to only PvP will be within reason compared to simply subscribing, time will tell though I guess.

at least 3 different threads created about swtor going f2p on the same day
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM