Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Role play as a mage that controls earth?

In WoW lore there is a few characters... Gul'dan & possibly Aegwynn that has shown to be able to control earth type magics. Raising Volcanoes & Bringing islands back from underwater for example

An idea was given to be while watching the Ghost Rider movie when he picks up flaming piles of rocks & throws them at Legion... & yes I know Ghost Rider has nothing to do with the lore of WoW but the movie gave me an idea....

& taken from http://www.wowpedia.org/Mage

"The mages of the Kirin Tor first mastered the arts of casting spells using the elements of ice and fire. Mages are also known for being able to summon elementals, usually water elementals, but can also summon air, earth and fire elementals as well"

Would be be acceptable to role play as a mage that can control earth?
    I am Sofa King
    Wee tod did!

It sounds reasonable to me, apart from the part about Aegwyn and Gul'dan. Those two were some of the most powerful casters when they were at the peak of their might. Aegwyn was a guardian of Tirisfal and Gul'dan was using vast quantities of demonic magic. So their feats are far out of reach for a mortal mage. So anything "big" like terraforming or raising islands in a no go. But throwing around rocks, maybe a smaller earthquake is something i would deem possible.

gul'dan was a former shaman, him using earth magic isn't very surprising. but i see no reason a mage couldn't do it aswell, they already use two out of 4, no reason they couldn't learn to throw a rock or two lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Geomancers seem to be a typical blend of shaman and mage. Its not beyond the realm of possibility, but it has to be done well. It will also help tremendously if the race you play your geomancer as has shamanistic values and/or roots.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Well I was just using them as an example of having the ability... Gul'dan being a shaman before sadly has nothing to do with it as since he lost all connections to his shamanistic powers whenever he sided with kiljaeden

Basicly what I am saying is something within the realm of possibilty for a normal mage... moving a boulder around throwing some pebbles... basicly like using a telekinetic force to control the ground
    I am Sofa King
    Wee tod did!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyoo View Post
    Well I was just using them as an example of having the ability... Gul'dan being a shaman before sadly has nothing to do with it as since he lost all connections to his shamanistic powers whenever he sided with kiljaeden
    Not really. If you're intelligent enough to be a caster, you would be able to transfer the skills it took to move rock as a shaman to a different medium, in the case of Gul'dan, warlock magics. There needs to be some changing of how its done obviously, since shamanism and fel magic use two different types of casting, but it can be done.

It's like being an engineer. If you know how to do something, you could potentially make something else that does the same thing, or roughly the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's several Different "Mancers" in the game, though I wouldn't classify them as a typical dalaran mage. Wanna play a mancer? they generally only have one usable school of magic.

Side note Mancers / blood magi (Real blood, not elves) discuss

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 10:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Not really. If you're intelligent enough to be a caster, you would be able to transfer the skills it took to move rock as a shaman to a different medium, in the case of Gul'dan, warlock magics. There needs to be some changing of how its done obviously, since shamanism and fel magic use two different types of casting, but it can be done.

It's like being an engineer. If you know how to do something, you could potentially make something else that does the same thing, or roughly the same thing.
    The general idea as I understand it seeing as the lord of magic uses Arcane. is Arcane is the building block of all magics, so yes a mage that knows arcane could use other stuff.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

It is just a theory tho... in the end I guess I jsut have to play an elemental shaman
    I am Sofa King
    Wee tod did!

First thing that came to mind was an Elementalist. Maybe check that out.

"Elementalists are spellcasters who focus on the elements, particularly their destructive powers. Elementalists study arcane elemental magic to become more like elementals."

"The elementalist is an arcanist who specializes in several specific elements of his choice (acid, cold, etc.)."

Maybe cut out the revering elementals and the Twilight/Old God stuff, and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    The general idea as I understand it seeing as the lord of magic uses Arcane. is Arcane is the building block of all magics, so yes a mage that knows arcane could use other stuff.
    Well, magic in its pure form, yes. I don't believe that it is the source of divine magic, though, which would include shamanism. In addition, it's not like an arcane mage could learn to use other stuff because they're an arcane mage, it's merely because they're a mage. Magi are able to learn pretty much anything as long as it falls under the general umbrella of arcane magic (as in non-divine magic). Magi can grow plants like a druid, but it's different than how druids do it.

I posted the exact same thing in the WoW forums & I get thrown out saying that everything I was was wrong & I needed to be a shaman
    I am Sofa King
    Wee tod did!

10+ Year Old Account
    I posted the exact same thing in the WoW forums & I get thrown out saying that everything I was was wrong & I needed to be a shaman
    Thats because this is an RP forum. Here, we see possibilities where others only see in-game limitations.

We usually are satisfied with a "could be possible" verdict here. In the official forums it will be more like "source or gtfo!". But we can be this open because we are not limited by game mechanics. Basically what Chonar said.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a poster on both forums (though I admittedly lurk more than post these days, stupid RL -.-) I can’t help but feel compelled to clarify a bit about the World’s End version of this thread. I’m not looking to start some debate or argument; I just don’t like seeing my ‘home’ RP forum painted in a bad light.

First off, I’ll readily admit that the two forums are quite different. It makes complete sense since they have two different communities. This is not at all a bad thing- it just means there more options for RPers of all styles.

The majority of posters on Word’s End, or at the very least the most active ones, are what I would consider to be ‘lore purists.’ They treat Blizzard’s lore as a set of unbreakable laws and feel that the more ‘murky’ areas that are not fully explained should be tread with utmost care. It is how we keep ourselves immersed ICCly in the world of Azeroth and contributes to our enjoyment of RP.

When someone comes along with a question or are uncertain about something, World’s End forum goers apply this same approach when advising them. Most posters there are not strictly bound by in-game mechanics, in fact “game mechanics =/= lore” is a very common phrase on the boards.You will find many examples of things posted there that you do not have the ability or the option to in game and they are welcomed with open arms- if they are present in the canon lore of WoW.

From what I have seen of this forum, people here are much more relaxed and laid back about lore. As Khorianas himself said, “could be possible” is usually enough to satisfy people and they are generally willing to give you a shot as long as your ideas or suggestions aren’t too outlandish. Posters here seem to do a lot more theorizing about different possibilities that are not fully explored in lore and as long as it makes sense, don’t usually see any harm in RPing out the ‘could be’s. It makes for a more casual, diverse place to RP.

Back on the OP’s topic-
    As one of the aforementioned ‘lore purists,’ my opinion was and still is that the idea is not supported by lore. As I pointed out in your original thread, the source you are quoting from wowpedia is out of the RPG books that were declared non-canon. Of your example characters, neither were very pertinent to the question as both were sorcerers of far greater power and esteem than our characters should ever come close to reaching. As stated many times in the other thread, Gul’dan is not even a mage and so I still don’t see how he is relevant to your ‘can mages control earth’ question.

If the community here is willing to welcome you and your idea, as seems the case, then I wish you only the best and I honestly hope you enjoy it here. RP is about fun after all, and just because different people have different ideas of what they consider fun does not mean that we can’t try find our own little niches.

I will add that acceptance of an idea on one forum should not be used to try to validate it in the other, regardless of where you started. Attempting to do so was not called for.
    Last edited by Istella; 2012-08-02 at 04:28 PM.
    The Light does not abandon its champions...

~My RP Characters~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istella View Post
    <snip>
    When the OP spoke of the official WoW forums, I hadn't thought he had tried on any sort of official WoW *RP* forum. Just to be clear, with my catchy oneliner in the post above, I didn't mean disrespect. I was assuming he asked on a generic official forum, where half of the replies would be "lol learn ur class". :V

It's perfectly acceptable for a Mage to utilize earth in the same way they would utilize anything else. However I don't think any mage would focus entirely on elemental magic, let alone a specific element. These types of magic are used almost entirely for combat, which lorewise, mages don't often engage in.

The hardest part about it though would simply be that you have absolutely no earth-related spells or even cosmetic effects -- you'd be all talk.

I believe they could, it's like Madgod said; Almost everyone can do the same thing (or a likeness), it's just depends on power and they way they do it.

For example, shamans would ask the Spirit of Earth to bend this or that way for them. Druids would coax the roots into shaping the earth around them. Mages would, perhaps, use Arcane magic as a sort of "base" and transform the earth that way. The end result is the same, but each method is different!

10+ Year Old Account
    Which leads to the question, if using arcane magic as an amalgation of telekinesis, conjuring and teleporting is used to shape clumps of earth and rock, and use those clumps as a physical force when on the offense, is it still arcane magic, or classified as earth magic? I'd say the former.

15+ Year Old Account
    if you can conjure something as complicated as a strudel I'm sure a mage could conjure a rock too!

and as an above poster said: i'm sure using arcane magic telekenisis would be possible to start throwing your conjured rocks around too!

You don't need to be limited to what is in game, there is no reason why magi could only control arcane, fire and frost and not other elements with a bit of practice!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    if you can conjure something as complicated as a strudel I'm sure a mage could conjure a rock too!