Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sync View Post
    Another option, instead of thinking I'm a troll, is to think I played WoW and stopped because I didn't enjoy it.
    So, since you didn't enjoy WoW, I have to again ask: What would you propose instead of skill cooldowns? =\
    Something that would prove equally effective at limiting your usage of skills so that you have to properly time when to use it, and that using it poorly means you're unable to use the skill for about the same amount of time, to the point that you may as well have a cooldown anyways?

Mana wouldn't really fit well in GW2. Even in WoW, mana is specifically set up so that you can never run out, simply by following a rotation of skills.
    In GW1, the same thing happened, except instead of rotating your skills, you'd have specific abilities designed for Energy gains that you had to periodically use. Elementalists, for example, had two spells that would cause them to gain Energy back based on the cost of the spell they just used, as well as Energy recovery built-in to their armor, as well as a glyph that reduces the cost of their next two spells.

I didn't see proper use of such spells as "skillful" considering everybody did it, and nobody failed at it. It wasn't hard to do.

Skill cooldowns is highly successful in games like LoL. LoL also has resource management in the form of either Mana, Rage, or Energy (though the latter two are rare), but all that does is force players to grab resource management items, or else frequently head back to base to regen and shop at the same time.
    In the form of Rage and Energy, they don't really change up the gameplay at all (except in the case of Rage, in the case of Renekton anyways, it just serves to make his next skill extra powerful).

I have never felt that resources added a meaningful level of complexity to games.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-01 at 03:31 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    You can also unplug your mouse and play with only your keyboard. Doesn't make it an option.
    Actually it does.

See with the word "can" in there, that by default makes it an option. see if you "can't" then it wouldn't be an option.

If every spell had no cooldown, no limited use through resource or anything, then you would end up spamming 1 spell for each circumstance. That sounds horribly boring...

Cooldowns are what makes games with multidimensional combat more tactical and less mindless.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    So, since you didn't enjoy WoW, I have to again ask: What would you propose instead of skill cooldowns? =\
    I didn't come here to bash GW2 or to start an argument. I'm not a game designer and don't know what use instead of cooldowns.

Lets just close this thread.
    Last edited by sync; 2012-08-01 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldrath View Post
    Actually it does.

See with the word "can" in there, that by default makes it an option. see if you "can't" then it wouldn't be an option.
    Just because I didn't specifically write the word "viable" doesn't mean it wasn't implied.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sync View Post
    I didn't come here to bash GW2 or to start an argument. I'm not a game designer and and don't know what use instead of cooldowns.

Lets just close this thread.
    I'm not saying you are bashing. I'm just trying to understand what you would prefer over skill cooldowns, and why that would be a reason for not playing a game. You're not really "juggling" cooldowns here. It's not like playing an Enhancement Shaman. You don't rotate through your abilities to maximize DPS or something like that.

Cooldowns just force you to use your skills when they're actually tactically advantageous.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-01 at 03:33 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    It's not like playing an Enhancement Shaman. You don't rotate through your abilities to maximize DPS or something like that.

Cooldowns just force you to use your skills when they're actually tactically advantageous.
    That sounds good. Like I said, I'll try the trial when one becomes available.