Page 1 of 3
LastLast

MOP Tamable 'rares'

Credits goes to Kalliope of Petopia
    Original Thread

Hey guys, just thought I would share some info on tamable 'rares' in MOP. Right now, they're in beta, but there are two things you need to know:

You will only see them on your hunter

You will not actually see them, but your hunter skills will allow you to detect traces

This is all currently available information on the eight Pandaria rares. The discussion/speculation thread is here: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewto...p?f=39&t=18511.

General:
    - NO LOOT TABLE. AT ALL.
    - They have an elite gold dragon rather than a silver one.
    - As of right now, you follow most tracks BACKWARDS. (Savage is an exception...in some cases. Other times, he still travels "backwards.") Instead of following the toes, you follow the back of the prints to the next fresh one. This is counter-intuitive and may change in the future.
    - Some tracks are partially buried in the ground and others float slightly over it. A few seem to be buried underground, which makes following a trail VERY difficult at times; Noah's been notified accordingly.
    - The beasts' paths are long, winding, and often confusing when you have no visual. If you see tracks going in different directions, then the beast likely turned around.
    - Some beasts path across water. They can leave tracks floating in the middle of it. These tracks can be difficult to see.
    - Old tracks eventually despawn. (Unsure of timer.)
    - If you're having trouble seeing tracks, turn down ground clutter. It makes a huge difference in some zones.
    - Phasing issues impact some of the beasts, so if you haven't completed the quests in certain areas, you may lose the trail through no fault of your own.
    - Though all the beasts are red (aggressive), they only aggro people who are standing in a flare with them. This means it is possible to flare out a beast without aggroing it instantly.
    - Flare does NOT tag the beast, nor does freeze trap. Normal tagging rules seem to apply.
    - You can hunter's mark them, but only while they're in flares. The hunter with the active mark can see the beast without a flare, which aids in safe tracking through level 90+ elites.
    - Once a beast has been flared, non-hunters can see/attack it.
    - Try to flare ahead of the most recent tracks. If you only flare on the latest you've found, you may miss the beast.
    - Useful tip: taking the readiness talent means that you can fire off two flares simultaneously once every five minutes. Sometimes, this can make the difference between finding the beast you're tracking and having to wait for the next track to appear.
    - For fun: scare beast works on them.

Spawn times on beta are shorter for testing purposes. They are confirmed to be longer on live.

[Confirmed 5.1 Patch Info:
    - rare silkworm
    - spirit beasts

Locations:[

Jade Forest:[

Beast: Savage
    Family: Cat
    Level: 85
    General Location: central forest, somewhat around Dawn's Blossom/Serpent's Heart
    Tracks: Bloody Tracks

Beast: Glimmer
    Family: Water Strider (exotic)
    General Location: central area, near the Arboretum/Temple of the Jade Serpent, but as far south as Nectarbreeze Orchard
    Tracks: Flooded Tracks

Valley of the Four Winds:

Beast: Patrannache
    Family: Crane
    General Location: west-central area, from Halfhill to Stoneplow, has sections of tracks in the south that are below ground (has been reported)
    Tracks: Barely-Visible Tracks

]Krasarang Wilds:

Beast: Bloodtooth
    Family: Turtle
    General Location: wandering between the islands in the south, often near west Anglers Wharf
    Tracks: Muddy Tracks

Townlong Steppes:

Beast: Rockhide the Immovable
    Family: Basilisk
    Level: 85 (confirmed to be going up in the future)
    General Location: central area, south of Fire Camp Osul, has phasing issues on the southern parts of his path
    Tracks: Worn Tracks

]Kun-Lai Summit:

Beast: Bristlespine
    Family: Porcupine
    Level: 88
    General Location: southern area, often around the Yaungol Advance, seems to go east-west
    Tracks: Puzzling Tracks

Beast: Stompy
    Family: Goat
    Level: 88
    General Location: IN THE MOUNTAINS, travels east and west through Mount Neverest
    Tracks: Heavy Tracks

Dread Wastes:

Beast: Hexapos
    Family: Water Strider (exotic)
    Level: 90
    General Location: on the perimeter of the zone, often on the Stinging Trail, has been spotted in the north and east as well
    Tracks: Mysterious Tracks

Vale of Eternal Blossoms:

Beast: Portent
    Family: Quilen (exotic)
    Level: 90
    General Location: covers most of the central zone, often spotted near the Mogu'Shan Palace, has phasing issues in the west
    Tracks: Dusty Tracks
    [
    Last edited by Hyde; 2012-08-01 at 04:44 PM.

This sounds absolutely amazing, I hope it goes through to live! That's a very exciting development for hunters.

I am pumped for this, this sounds incredibly fun! I will feel like an actual hunter now.

I already got the Quilen, in his green color, and the white cat. It is fun but it will be a lot harder when it goes live and you have much more competition. New Spirit Beasts are also confirmed to be coming in patch 5.1.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    After taming 2 of the rares on beta already, I can definitely tell that this is going to be a GIANT HEADACHE when they aren't on 15 minute respawns. These tracks are a lot more difficult to spot than most people think. On live, yeah other people can kill our rare pets, but at least we can fly over, check their spawn point at a glance, then mvoe on to the next one. here... you have to tediously scan the ground for 10 minutes to spot a tiny little track and then follow it's winding path through debris and crap... it's just tedious.

I like it in theory, but I do not like this implementation at all in practice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish they would give us another page on the stables or something. OR the ability to buy more pages for a lump sum of gold which increases per page. Sort of like how we used to need to buy a slot in the old stable setup. I tame so many rare/cool looking beasts that I've got no space for anything new and I'd have to start abandoning some of the cool ones to make space for rare ones eventually with all the new rares coming in =/

This genuinely sounds pretty fun lol, looking forward to mop going live
    Ain't no chuch when you're living in the wild

Deleted
    Sounds interesting
    Do we get more stable slots? :P

This means I'm going to have to get rid of one of my favorite stable slots and farm honor for hours/days from dozens of other hunters trying to kill me for this pet doesn't it.....

Can anyone confirm whether the pet has a special skin or fun ability or glow effect or something? Right now the majority of these "rares" have the same skin as other non-rare beasts. Why would anyone go after the beast to tame it if it doesn't have a different look or different fun ability, besides the thrill of sniffing tracks?

Guess who's getting himself a goat?! oh yeah B****s

best.
    expansion.
    ever.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

This is awesome, another part of the game to give Hunters some love. I'm all about this!

Quote Originally Posted by Superpenguin3 View Post
    Can anyone confirm whether the pet has a special skin or fun ability or glow effect or something? Right now the majority of these "rares" have the same skin as other non-rare beasts. Why would anyone go after the beast to tame it if it doesn't have a different look or different fun ability, besides the thrill of sniffing tracks?
    All of the rares have unique skins that no other beast of it's type has. For example, the cat Savage is White where the others are grey. The Quilen Portent's 4 colors are also unique. Their abilities are no different but their look is. There also will be new Spirit Beasts in the first patch after MoP launches.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard. Good Job. Nothing else to say here.

When a wild forum troll appears

I like the tracks thing... but it's kinda silly not having a single spirit beast come mop

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    I like the tracks thing... but it's kinda silly not having a single spirit beast come mop
    Remember reading somewhere there would be a new Spirit Beast in 5.1...

Quote Originally Posted by Girouette View Post
    Remember reading somewhere there would be a new Spirit Beast in 5.1...
    I heard a rumor about that as well on petopia but I haven't seen anything concrete. Is it so hard to have ONE on release though? The "rares" for launch are so lackluster.

There are tons of spirit beasts already, more new pet families would be far more interesting than more spirit beasts that only BM hunters can use anyway.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

I wish Stompy would have a charge / head butt / knockback ability.

I'm still going to kill every hunter pet I find. This changes nothing.