View Poll Results: How do you think your nation is doing this Olympics?

Voters
251. This poll is closed
  • Fantastic!

79 31.47%
  • Better than I expected

21 8.37%
  • About what I expected

78 31.08%
  • Worse than I expected

24 9.56%
  • Terrible!

19 7.57%
  • I'm not watching the Olympics

30 11.95%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm not sure whether to vote "Terrible" or "About what I expected" since both apply. Yes, that bad
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Doesn't matter, we still have a larger pool of people, and therefore a higher chance that there'll be talent within that pool. The numbers are on our side.

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 08:09 PM ----------

Because the size of the population isn't the only factor. There's also training and coaching. The US wins a lot of medals because we have a large population and within that population are a lot of athletes who have access to the money required for excellent training and coaching.
    Analysis of Countries' winnings at any given Olympics can be broken down into 3 main Categories: 1) Population. 2) GDP/Capita. 3) Culture and History.

1) Population. This is the largest of the three categories, as it relates to your talent pool. This is NOT to say that it's the only factor. As India proves, a large population does not directly translate into medals. This can be explained by the other two of course. This is particularly important for smaller pop countriesw. Do they have critical mass necessary? Lichtenstein for example, has a great history of sport and enough money. They do not, however, have critical mass, particularly for team sports. Thus they will win sporadic medals, and almost always in Individual Sports.

2) Affluence. Without the money, it is difficult to fund proper training. It is no secret that richer countries do better at the Olympics. The best example of this is China. China has massive population. They were not so much a powerhouse in medal contention until recently however. This rise in sports power has directly mirrored their massive economic growth.

3) Culture and History of Sport. If you've traditionally dominated in a sport, you tend to have better access to top sports coaches. This is why teams without it tend to go to other countries if they lack a history in sport. Much like the Canadian Women's Soccer team having an English Coach. This is best exemplified in the former USSR/ current Russia. The USSR was no richer than Russia. They had the same relative population base (give or take a few sattelite countries who tended to compete separately anyway.) However, the former USSR had a culture of desire for sports dominance. This caused them to fund sports more aggressively. Currently Russia doesn't do terribly at the Olympics. They don't have anywhere near the medal totals of the former USSR, though.

How does your country do? Chances are you could guess by accurately examining these three factors.

US is doing horrible 2nd place in medals is unacceptable. 2nd place is just another word for first loser.

10+ Year Old Account
    My country Portugal is doing amazingly well, we have zero medals.
    “The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church”

-Ferdinand Magellan (1480 – 1521)

US is doing as expected, but I want to see Germany get its act together.

Eh, I'd prefer an option that said "Good, but wish they could do better."
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    About what I expected. The US tends to be top 3. When they drop below that then I feel a bit disappointed.

Is #2 considered fantastic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fantastic! U.S.A. here!

15+ Year Old Account
    Usa is doing good, I am content. But South Korea is doing surprising wile, I am happy for them.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Is #2 considered fantastic?
    Nope, should be first.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Usa is doing good, I am content. But South Korea is doing surprising wile, I am happy for them.
    South Korea is full of experts at shooting and archery, which are usually the first contests to medal.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anybody for the US has gotten thrown out yet, so that's a plus, but then I don't know if we even have a badminton team

I think England is doing ok, we have still a few of our best sports to come up so not discontent.

Sweden has only one silver, Ive got no clue what to expect from Sweden though, Im hoping they can score a medal in womens football at least.

Also I was wondering about the USA and people claiming theyre doing fantastic, arent they doing pretty much their norm? I mean if they were ahead of China by 10medals Id say thats fantastic, but currently theyre performing where most people would expect them to no?

10+ Year Old Account
    China is definitely hacking.

Australia is sucking atm... Oh well at least those athletes are better people than me...

10+ Year Old Account
    Not watching myself but going by the news, I think we're doing shit.
    Altho I do believe we got a medal for something yesterday. (Netherlands here)

Deleted
    I guess 7th (6th) of the whole world is nice?

I expected this

Appauling.

I'm personally annoyed by some (not all) of our athletes. Talking with the two rowers who got Gold they could barely stand when they were done, yet our swimmers are running around saying they "did their best"...

Then why are you not completely worn out and completely spent of energy? Stop messing around with stupid tactics, and play to win...

I didn't watch most of it but feeling sad for the Korean fencer.