Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is Master Yi the 'noob champion'?

PLEASE don't mistake this for a bragging thread as after re-reading it, I feel like it may seem that way.

So I started playing maybe 3 or 4 days ago I absolutely love the game and I'm now level 9 and my favourite champion is Master Yi, I love the playstyle (I don't jungle, not learned how to do that yet >.<), most of the games I join we win and generally I come top or close to top on kills/deaths etc, and usually get the most turret kills, and near the end of the game when I have a lot of items I can easily kill champions with highlander and keep it up a lot of the time, well after this game; http://i.imgur.com/USCGY.jpg which was my best so far I had someone add me and told me I was a noob for playing Master Yi and that he's super OP. So now I've come to ask the question if I ever reach level 30+ and decide to try ranked games, will I be detested for playing him? Should I change champ? I tried a few of last weeks free ones and a few of this weeks free ones and really couldn't get a hang of them.

TL'DR: Should I change my usual champ from master yi to something else because people say he's 'OP' and I'll be hated on if I ever try ranked games?

master yi is super easy to play, and really strong endgame, but he's so common that most players can counter him early whether he is jungling or laning and pretty much screw up the entire game for him.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    when i first started playing a couple months ago i too started out with yi. i like his playstyle and he went well with my group of friends i play with.

that being said i dont see him played that often in ranked matches or in tournaments but that probably has more to do with him being somewhat one-dimensional. he doesnt really offer anything other than just straight dmg.

just my opinion however

Quote Originally Posted by kynthrus View Post
    master yi is super easy to play, and really strong endgame, but he's so common that most players can counter him early whether he is jungling or laning and pretty much screw up the entire game for him.
    I guess it's because I'm a low level that I don't meet many experienced players who know how to counter him well then? Sounds like as I get higher I'll just learn to dislike playing him

15+ Year Old Account
    If you value your life, be somewhere else
    Yi OP? Oh no he is actually UP.
    In Soviet Russia banks rob you! Oh, wait a second...

If you like/ are good with master yi play him, most people will say any champion is faceroll if you are doing well with him tbh (even though there is really not much of a difference in skill in MOST champions, aside from the newer ones that are being released).

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    I guess it's because I'm a low level that I don't meet many experienced players who know how to counter him well then? Sounds like as I get higher I'll just learn to dislike playing him
    i dont think youll learn to dislike him, i certainly havent but i think youll learn that there are just as dmg capable champions out there that offer far more complex/challenging tool kits.

i still like to queue up with yi every now and then

10+ Year Old Account
    What akts said, he really is underpowered. He offers no utility to himself or his team, he is just a damage dealer. And if you want an ad carry, there are plenty out there that do the damage Yi puts out but also bring slows, snares, stuns, etc.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

Could you suggest any? I've been saving up my IP to buy a good champ, I'm sitting on 3k right now but I just don't know who to buy, last week I tried most of the free ones and dis-liked them, this week I tried Tyrannade (Probably misspelled) and the skeleton mage guy (Don't know the name ) and I really couldn't get them as well as I could with Yi

The stuff you can do with Yi now, really does not reflect at all what you can do later levels with him. Like was already mentioned, all he's good for is damage/screwing around, like if you built him as AP Yi. He has no CC, no real "escape" (outside of ult), nothing brought to team fights, and a skill set that greatly limits the "Skill cap" of the champion.

He's easy to play, but he's only good if the enemy team allows you to snowball, so he's not OP at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    U could try out Irelia as she is free this week. She is somewhat alike Yi

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    if youre into carries then vayne, caitlyn, ezreal, corki are pretty popular ranged carries. id say the two more popular melee carries are tryndamere and gangplank but ive been experimenting with fiora, however she is qutie similar to master yi in that she doesnt really bring any kind of utility for her team other than straight dmg

10+ Year Old Account
    For the auto-attack melee damage role, Xin Zhao is also a viable alternative with his rework. Judging by your current level, you can probably get away with building glass cannon Xin, although you will have to build some tankiness so you don't melt in teamfights once you do matches at 30.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2012-08-01 at 09:40 PM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    Could you suggest any? I've been saving up my IP to buy a good champ, I'm sitting on 3k right now but I just don't know who to buy, last week I tried most of the free ones and dis-liked them, this week I tried Tyrannade (Probably misspelled) and the skeleton mage guy (Don't know the name ) and I really couldn't get them as well as I could with Yi
    If you want a viable champion that has similar gameplay of Yi's then it would be Gankplank, I guess. Or maybe Xin Zhao.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by akts View Post
    Yi OP? Oh no he is actually UP.
    Only at the level where players actually know how to. In level 9 skill range he's totally OP. :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akts View Post
    If you want a viable champion that has similar gameplay of Yi's then it would be Gankplank, I guess. Or maybe Xin Zhao.
    And Jax. How could I forget him. He is a monster.

Deleted
    You will be detested for play Master Yi in ranked because he is awful. Melee carrys generally dont´t work, one CC and just instagib him.

Edit: Hrm nvm according to above post, I guess I'll randomly pick one like I did with yi and hope I like it ^_^'''

Xin Zhao is your best alternative. He is really strong in lane phase, can jungle, go top, play as "support" (meaning kill lane bot, which works very well for under 30 games). He scales very well. He does have a slightly higher skill cap then Yi. Slightly, not much.

And as Muzual said, don't play Teemo. Nobody, and I mean nobody likes Teemo players, accept Teemo players. Lately I have noticed in almost every game, "Teemo" is being asked to be reported. Teemo's popularity is very similar to Yi, people hate you. Xin Zhao is going to join the list very very fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culnar
    Sometimes people act like blizzard is their friend who betrayed them and now they're pissed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    Actually the backlash from pandas is because alot of the people didn't grow up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    Just don't play Teemo. Nobody likes Teemo players.
    But I thought everyone loved my ap teemo in my bunny suit

If you're looking for a role like Yi's I would recommend Darius, Xin Zhao, Jax, Irelia, basically any ad melee champs :3