Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Need recommendations for a few low-end, dependable components for work

My computer at work is about 6 or 7 years old. And it was cheap when it was new. Lately, with some large projects, it has been crashing and, really, just dying on me. I've already had some capacitors go out on a previous motherboard. They replaced it with another one that was just as old. The problem is that we are due for a full department overhaul on computers in late 2013. So they are not willing to put any new computers on the budget. But I also have to work with Access databases and Excel files that are 15Mb or larger. The latest spreadsheet now crashes my computer as soon as I open it, with no other applications open. The project with this latest spreadsheet was actually due on July 31st, but I haven't been able to make any progress on it for the past 3 days. And IT still hasn't gotten around to the ticket I submitted (probably due to lack of resources).

I need some parts, and I need some advice about them. I'm looking for a cheap, dependable motherboard, processor, RAM, and mATX PSU. I've never seen a computer at work with AMD, so it's possible they only work with Intel. My hard drive is just as old as the rest of the PC, so the mobo will need an IDE port, too. Any advice or recommendations would help. I'll check out the hard drive as soon as I get to work, today. Hoping to keep the parts under $200.

Edit: Hard Drive is a Western Digital Caviar WD400BB-75JHC0
    Last edited by Parrin; 2012-08-02 at 12:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You are going to have two major problems:

1a.
    There are no more current Intel mainboards with IDE connectors, the chipsets since socket 1155 don't provide an IDE channel anymore on their own. Theoretically, a mainboard manufacturer could put a bridge chip on it, but i haven't found one who does it. And why should they... IDE is dead since about 5 years.
    The only somewhat current, cheap mainboards with IDE i cauld find, are AMD.

1b.
    If you are lucky enough to get a mb that still has IDE, it will only have 1 IDE port. That means, you have to connect your hard drive and the optical drive both to the same IDE cable. And depending how far apart they are, this could get tricky (the distance between the two connectors on the cable is roughly 5 inches)

As this computer is 6-7 years old, it most likely has Windows XP on it. So if you are changing the mainboard, chances are pretty high that it won't boot afterwards and you need to do a complete re-install.

If you still want to repair, rather than replace, here are the parts you would need:

MB: Asrock 960GM/U3S3 FX - $55
    CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 260 - $65
    RAM: Kingston 2x2GB DDR3-1333 - $24
    PSU: Seasonic 300W OEM 80+ bronze - $40
    total: $184
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    There are no more current Intel mainboards with IDE connectors, the chipsets since socket 1155 don't provide an IDE channel anymore on their own. Theoretically, a mainboard manufacturer could put a bridge chip on it, but i haven't found one who does it.
    ATX board from ASRock http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157253
    mATX board from Asus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131711

They also sell open boxes of both boards for -30% off.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.