Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    GW2 better not have the "coolest" cosmetic items available for real money.
    hate to tell u but a cool cosmetic items will be on the cash shop but.......legendary items won't be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    You don't have to grind nearly as much as you make it seem, yes you have to grind a LOT more for the newer champs but for quite a few you can play 4-7 matches and be able to purchase them. The grind isn't a grind if you enjoy the game, I don't play it for the sake of grinding I play it because it is fun. Everything except cosmetics IS free in LoL. The only thing that requires you to spend money are skins, which have no impact on gameplay. You also didn't mention the fact that riot offers a selection of 10 free champs every week that changes, they rotate it so that you can play all the champs and make purchase decisions. You may not want to own all of them because you may not have fun with certain champs and how they play. You can get the cheap ones to start you off and rotate between them and the free week champs then figure out from the ones available for free which one you want to buy next.
    To buy a 6300 IP one
    Would require you to play 38.85 hours. I don't know about you, but that's a lot of time. (Assuming all wins)
    https://support.leagueoflegends.com/...stem-breakdown
    Normal PvP and Ranked PvP Games:

The points system in League of Legends rewards players based on the time spent played in a game. On average, a 37 minute win will earn approximately 100 IP, and a 37 minute loss will earn approximately 68 IP.

Summoners just beginning their career on the Fields of Justice receive some extra IP and XP per game, but this fades as a summoner levels.
    Issue as stated is, it requires a LOT of grind, and I doubt anyone in their sane mind would play 38 hours straight.
    Or you just buy the thing with cash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    To buy a 6300 IP one
    Would require you to play 38.85 hours. I don't know about you, but that's a lot of time. (Assuming all wins)
    https://support.leagueoflegends.com/...stem-breakdown

Issue as stated is, it requires a LOT of grind, and I doubt anyone in their sane mind would play 38 hours straight.
    Or you just buy the thing with cash.
    You failed to factor in the 150 IP bonus for the first win of the day bonus(can't remember if it is every 22 or 20 hours you can earn it). The way it works is that you play a few matches a day and earn up to buying the champ you want. You have a goal to work towards. In addition matches are not the only way to earn IP, you can also earn it by participating in the community via the Tribunal, you receive 5 IP for each case where your verdict matches the majority at a limit of 15 cases per day.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2012-08-02 at 08:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    there is a really thin line of P2w/Not P2w and i think the problem is everytime a cash shop shows up people jump on the P2w side and not even think it over all that cross's there mind is *OMG U CAN BUY INGAME STUFF WITH CASH THATS SO P2W*
    Depends how long(game time) it takes to acquire the stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    You failed to factor in the 150 IP bonus for the first win of the day bonus(can't remember if it is every 22 or 20 hours you can earn it).
    So. If you decide to play completely in a marathon.
    It'd take you 38.54 hours.
    If you decide to do it over a week
    It'd be 36.69 hours.
    If you want to do it over a month
    It'd be 29.6

Deleted
    10 free champs every week that changes
    You know when Yorick is next due for free week? Late October.

Sure feels good to be testing those free champs all the time. (I play LoL and own nearly all the champs but acting like free champs are the solution to everything is eh.)

Deleted
    You failed to factor in the 150 IP bonus for the first win of the day bonus(can't remember if it is every 22 or 20 hours you can earn it).
    Nitpicking on such thing? Come on man.

That is still, slower than buying 975 RP ;P
    Ok so you might gain little time (or lose time required, however you want to see it). But that was still assuming you win streaked almost 2 days your waking time (well you gotta sleep right? so 48 - 10h sleep..)

Now this is still acceptable IMO.
    Cash shops are meant to be shortcuts, they are meant to be for the lazy person.
    Like on page 1 arguing about "if the buff needs grinding 20-40h its buying power". Its meant to be that way. Shortcut. Buying to gain TIME to play differently, or buying to go lazy route.

Also all 6300 champions arent powerful win buttons so its not really buying power. They might be more complex than cheaper ones, sure (like ashe has no dash and isnt really all that powerful against newer dash get out of jail card champs at max price etc). But they shouldnt be directly OP buying power.

10+ Year Old Account
    So. If you decide to play completely in a marathon.
    It'd take you 38.54 hours.
    If you decide to do it over a week
    It'd be 36.69 hours.
    If you want to do it over a month
    It'd be 29.6
    See how much it changes though? Spending only 1 hour a day over a month and you can get one of the more expensive champs. That is my point, you can play it casually and still get what you want.
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolfster View Post
    Depends how long(game time) it takes to acquire the stuff.
    as i said there is a thin line on the subject some see it one way some see it another. i personally see it as if u can buy gear and get a advantage over other players cause of it *aka sword of power* and there is little to no item ingame that is as good thats p2w not xp/hp temp buff pots or cosmetic items.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    Buying to gain TIME to play differently, or buying to go lazy route.
    Some argue that time is the real value of everything in video games.

10+ Year Old Account
    See how much it changes though? Spending only 1 hour a day over a month and you can get one of the more expensive champs. That is my point, you can play it casually and still get what you want.
    Over a month. So let's factor in a 50% lose chance over a month.
    Is 35.52 hours.
    Or 46.25 straight if I didn't mess it up.

I have yet to see someone only play 1 hour a day.

It's a grind no matter how you take it. Who would wait a month just to get one champion just to have another spawn in the midst.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-08-02 at 09:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is 35.52 hours.

It's a grind no matter how you take it. Who would wait a month just to get one champion just to have another spawn in the midst.
    I play only one hour a day some days, I sometimes play up to 3 hours in one day. I have plenty of weeks where I don't even log in and I still have 55 of the 101 champs.

You are assuming that someone really really wants one of the 35 champs that cost 6300 IP and they don't want any of the other 66 champs. I own eight of the thirty-five champs that cost 6300 IP, I only want four more champs that cost 6300 IP at the moment.

You are giving the impression that playing a match is a chore, I do it because it is fun. Play the game for fun and the grind really isn't noticeable. If you're playing the game for something silly like owning every single champ you may as well just spend money on it because you aren't playing for the gameplay.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2012-08-02 at 09:13 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolfster View Post
    Some argue that time is the real value of everything in video games.
    True, but you cant kill persons in pvp, or win at raids, with time directly you didnt lose while grinding something (as in using TIME not items/buff gained thro time).
    usually.

Also times value is totally subjective to each person.

But what do people think of limits? LOTRO has quests that you can do when paying money (not sure can they be acquired free thro time).. you get xp and maybe quest rewards as well? Is that power when it limites F2P players to not do those?

Some games just cant do plain cosmetic stuff.
    Last edited by mmocd6ad878d9b; 2012-08-02 at 09:25 PM.

Deleted
    Is 35.52 hours.
    Or 46.25 straight if I didn't mess it up.

These champs and three full T3 rune pages, I have around 1500 hrs played.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Worer View Post
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77947262/lol%20fails/lol1.jpg
    These champs and three full T3 rune pages, I have around 1500 hrs played.
    I didn't know they have a romanian interface!

Deleted
    Honestly the good old pay to play is the best system really, no bullshit with real money involved at all. It's not like those 15 bucks are a big amount, it's a MMO game, you probably spend dozens of hours on it monthly anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I didn't know they have a romanian interface!
    Yeah , LoL was released in romanian some months ago, and we received some free stuff, including Pantheon's Dacian Warrior Pantheon skin.

Salut.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Worer View Post
    Yeah , LoL was released in romanian some months ago, and we received some free stuff, including Pantheon's Dacian Warrior Pantheon skin.

Salut.
    I wanted to check it(the game) out for some time, but never knew they actually do all these things too.

Salutare si tie!

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    hate to tell u but a cool cosmetic items will be on the cash shop but.......legendary items won't be.
    hate to tell you , but not all cosmetic items will be in the cash shop!
    i think you are forgetting the (explorable) dungeon sets etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matiasve View Post
    League of Legends is , besides an awesome game, an example of how it SHOULD be done.
    - All champions are available through IP ( game currency earned by playing) and it ISNT a grindfest
    - Runes ( the only things that can give you a strong advantage) are not buyable with RP ( buyable currency)
    - RP is only used for speeding up the rather trivial leveling ,getting champions faster and COSMETIC changes.

It is ... perfection, or atleast extremely close to perfection.

So why is there no MMO ( that I know of) with a similar currency system?
    A game allowing you to play the entire game for free, buy cosmetics for RL money and best of all: ISNT PAY 2 WIN!
    Turbine games, Allods Online, and Runes of Magic all allow you to earn cash shop currency by playing. It's slow, but you never have to pay a dime if you don't want to. And--for what it's worth--League of Legends is not an MMORPG, which is what I assume you're looking for when you say "MMO", which gives them more flexibility.