Deleted

In need of a computer GEEK

Aloha.

I plan to have an additional fan installed in my computer. (at the front for air intake)
    I found out that my motherboard only has 1 fan connector (cha fan), and that's being used by the exhaust fan.

I need a geek to help!

Does your power supply have any free cables that are not connected to anything? Most fans come with an adapter that will allow you to connect the small fan connector to the standard four-pin white molex connector coming from your power supply. Any of them should work. If the plug is the same shape, you can't go wrong.
    Last edited by Demoness; 2012-08-02 at 07:35 PM.

you just need a cable from your power supply and some "free"-potential power from your supply

Deleted
    You could get a fan controller like a Scythe Kaze Master Pro
    Another option (and alot cheaper) is to go to your local computer store and get a fan connecter which has a psu plug aswell

First of all, if you want people to help you, don't call them names.
    Second, the easiest option is to connect the fan to the PSU. The problem with that is that you can't control the fan speed, it runs always on 100% and some fans are pretty noisy. The better solution is to get a fan controller.

Deleted
    Thank you, geeks, I mean, guys. =)

My power supply has Molex connectors that are free. You wouldn't happen to have a picture/link of Fan Cable - Adapter - Power Supply Cable, would you?

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    The other question arises... Do you NEED that front fan?

Also, why does it have a front fan that the mobo doesn't support? Did you swap motherboards?

---------- Post added 2012-08-02 at 01:06 PM ----------

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812189119

Neh?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    First of all, if you want people to help you, don't call them names.
    Second, the easiest option is to connect the fan to the PSU. The problem with that is that you can't control the fan speed, it runs always on 100% and some fans are pretty noisy. The better solution is to get a fan controller.
    I was only teasing...I'm sorry if I offended you.

Thanks for the input. =)

---------- Post added 2012-08-02 at 09:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The other question arises... Do you NEED that front fan?

Also, why does it have a front fan that the mobo doesn't support? Did you swap motherboards?

---------- Post added 2012-08-02 at 01:06 PM ----------

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812189119

Neh?
    I don't know too much about the details but my computer was built by a friend. Big case was bought which included an exhaust fan. (optional fan at the front, top, side, bottom). Motherboard that was bought had only x1 Cha Fan(our own mistake).

I'm still confused even with the picture you showed. Could you please elaborate on how the fan is connected to the Power Supply.
    Step by step if you wouldn't mind. =)

Quote Originally Posted by jennydroid View Post
    I'm still confused even with the picture you showed. Could you please elaborate on how the fan is connected to the Power Supply.
    Step by step if you wouldn't mind. =)
    You connect the fan to the small thing and the PSU to the big thing. The PSU should have free things that resemble the big things.

connecting to the power supply works, but neither you nor the system have any control over the speed the fan is running so it will always run @ max producing more noise then necessary.

the alternatives are to either get a fan controller like mentioned above which will mount just below your optical drive, or you can get a fan header Y cable which will let you run 2 fans from one header.

Front mounted fans only really help if the cabling was done properly in the chasis, because large video cards and piles of cables from the power supply will just block the airflow coming in from the front of the case and just end up circling around the video card & cpu then pushed out the side vent you mentioned you have instead of out the back exhaust. You might be better suited to putting one in the side panel instead of the front if the case is cluttered.

Deleted
    You call people geeks now, and you'll be crying when said "geek" gave you "advice" that caused you to shortcircuit your entire rig. You little shit.

Mod Edit: Yeah, that's really not needed. The OP was obviously using geek as almost a term of endearment, rather than an insult. Infracted. - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2012-08-02 at 10:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Geek isn't that much of a derogatory word/term. Its like in the movie Semi-Pro the guy calls him a jive turkey and he gets offended, but they tell him the other guy called him a cocksucker and he was cool with that lol.

Also, use this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812195004

Connect all your 3 pin fans to that, connect one molex plug from your power supply to it, and it'll power all your fans (and future ones) with just one molex plug.

A molex plug from your power supply looks like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816133040

Hope that helps ya
    Call me House.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    Geek isn't that much of a derogatory word/term. Its like in the movie Semi-Pro the guy calls him a jive turkey and he gets offended, but they tell him the other guy called him a cocksucker and he was cool with that lol.

Also, use this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812195004

Connect all your 3 pin fans to that, connect one molex plug from your power supply to it, and it'll power all your fans (and future ones) with just one molex plug.

A molex plug from your power supply looks like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816133040

Hope that helps ya
    Omgosh thanks so much for this! my face literally lit up of hope =)) ...one question though, and this may sound a bit dumb. Do I leave it inside or outside of the case?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jennydroid View Post
    Omgosh thanks so much for this! my face literally lit up of hope =)) ...one question though, and this may sound a bit dumb. Do I leave it inside or outside of the case?

Thanks!
    Inside, obviously.