Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Yeah, but he didn't commit the crime he was in jail for. He shouldn't have been on probation.
    I read a few reports and none mention any convictions since leaving prison, though it was stated a warrant was issued for failing to turn up at the original deodorant theft hearing.

As you point out, he wouldn't have been on probation for the murder charge either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerunnir View Post
    It says NOTHING in the article about serving one year. This is the only thing it says about the duration:

"He was given credit for 60 days served in Cook County Jail and will be under supervision for one year when released, according to Cook County State’s Attorney’s office spokeswoman Tandra Simonton."

1 year supervision does not mean 1 year in jail.
    The cost of supervision costs more then the detergent.

Anyway his life was probably ruined after going to jail, they should just cut him a break....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerunnir View Post
    It says NOTHING in the article about serving one year. This is the only thing it says about the duration:

"He was given credit for 60 days served in Cook County Jail and will be under supervision for one year when released, according to Cook County State’s Attorney’s office spokeswoman Tandra Simonton."

1 year supervision does not mean 1 year in jail.
    Read the previous paragraph in the article (also quoted below), then read the underlined part in what you quoted.

"...Porter is in trouble again, and is going back to prison for one year."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Read the previous paragraph in the article (also quoted below), then read the underlined part in what you quoted.

"...Porter is in trouble again, and is going back to prison for one year."
    Are you surprised? A person with an iq of 51 needs a social network of support, a history of being able to do well simple jobs, and even then, their risk of marginalization is high. Being 17 years in prision, he's all but alone. And obviously, being intellectually challenged at such degree, he could not even succesfully claim compensation for what he went through. According to the reports, he could not even very well understand what was happening to him.
    What kind of life do you think he might have led?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    Are you surprised? A person with an iq of 51 needs a social network of support, a history of being able to do well simple jobs, and even then, their risk of marginalization is high. Being 17 years in prision, he's all but alone. And obviously, being intellectually challenged at such degree, he could not even succesfully claim compensation for what he went through. According to the reports, he could not even very well understand what was happening to him.
    What kind of life do you think he might have led?
    What's that got to do with my post?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    What's that got to do with my post?
    I'm trying to figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    1 year for petty theft? I don't get it. Did I miss the punch line?
    He is black and this is America. No other reason needed when trying to figure out EXTREME punishments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    You mean 24601?
    That was pretty win.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SooFaded View Post
    Full story here:
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...ing-deodorant/

Basically this man spent 17 years on death row for killing 2 people, but was released when somebody else confessed to the crime. Then 12 years later he steals a stick of deodorant from Walgreens and is sentenced to 1 year in prison with 60 days credit for time served in Cook County Jail. But where's the 17 years credit for time wrongfully served on death row

Edit: I'm not saying this guy should get a get out of jail free card that he can flash anytime he gets arrested and get off scot-free. I'm saying that this guy has been wrongly imprisoned for 17 years. To get a year for stealing a stick of deodorant is absurd after that.
    Stealing deoderant is even more idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    17 years in prison doesn't really prepare you for success on the outside. Porter also was found to have an IQ of 51 during one of his trials.

State laws on compensation for wrongful conviction vary wildly and many states don't have to give you anything.
    in some states, if you have a prior felony you get nothing. apparently you are then fair game for railroading, with no consequences for the state

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SooFaded View Post
    Full story here:
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...ing-deodorant/

Basically this man spent 17 years on death row for killing 2 people, but was released when somebody else confessed to the crime. Then 12 years later he steals a stick of deodorant from Walgreens and is sentenced to 1 year in prison with 60 days credit for time served in Cook County Jail. But where's the 17 years credit for time wrongfully served on death row

Edit: I'm not saying this guy should get a get out of jail free card that he can flash anytime he gets arrested and get off scot-free. I'm saying that this guy has been wrongly imprisoned for 17 years. To get a year for stealing a stick of deodorant is absurd after that.
    Where was his lawyers after he was exonerated? If he was smart, which is apparently isn't when he chose to steal deodorant... he would've gotten a large sum of money from a lawsuit for the wrongful imprisonment. And wouldn't have to steal deodorant, but buy a boat load. lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    poor guy, sounds like a shitty life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    He is black and this is America. No other reason needed when trying to figure out EXTREME punishments.
    Fuck the system.