Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Ammount of GW2 Copies sold?

Does anyone know around how many GW2 copies sold? It would be nice to get a feel for how big the community is now pre-launch to then be able to compare it after launch. I'm hopping for a big base of players for GW2, because it deserves it! Its an amazing game that deserves to be just as successful as WoW.

So if you have any thoughts post them here please!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Chan View Post
    Does anyone know around how many GW2 copies sold? It would be nice to get a feel for how big the community is now pre-launch to then be able to compare it after launch. I'm hopping for a big base of players for GW2, because it deserves it! Its an amazing game that deserves to be just as successful as WoW.

So if you have any thoughts post them here please!
    I dont think anyone but Anet know. they had 1mil+ beta signups in hours and I heard over 4mil copies pre-ordered, though I have no idea if that is true or not, could be a lot more, could be a lot less...beta events were certainally packed to the brim from my experience.

I believe all Anet have said is that the number of pre-orders far exceeded their estimations, to the point where they had to close pre-orders at one stage as their servers needed expanding to cope with it for the beta events.
    Last edited by mmoc4e3ce29075; 2012-08-03 at 10:58 AM.

Deleted
    So we are thinking aprox around 4mil copies pre launch? Tbh thats a really nice number for a game to start out with, and alot of people are waiting for the physical launch to get the box, so hopefully that should add 1-2mil more.

Deleted
    So we are thinking aprox around 4mil copies pre launch? Tbh thats a really nice number for a game to start out with, and alot of people are waiting for the physical launch to get the box, so hopefully that should add 1-2mil more.
    Its a number I've heard thrown around, though I've never seen anything to back it up.

I'll take that 4 million figure with a big pinch of salt.

With pre-purchases, pre-orders, online sales and all the rest, it's becoming increasing hard to figure out how many sales anything has until they have to fess up to the shareholders. And even then they'll stretch the truth as far as it'll go.

Picking a server at random, BWE3 didn't feel terribly crowded, and I only got moved to an overflow shard once. 45 servers x 29 areas x 500 players per area = ~650k players. That's a rough guess at players per area, and not taking into account that high level areas won't have anyone in them. I'd give that as my rough estimate for number of pre-purchases. Some might not have played, but there were certainly some free players there who had keys from other sources.

There are pre-orders as well, that haven't got keys. I'd say the same number again, tbh.

Lets round up a bit and say a combined pre-purchase/pre-order total of 1.5 million worldwide.

Deleted
    I've heard 1m pre-orders, which I think sounds realistic. No idea where I heard it, though.

Deleted
    4 million pre-purchases woul be quite devasting amount, vanilla wow didnt have that kinda numbers even

1.5million seem like a decent start in todays MMO market

1.5m * 60 = 90m just in box sales, that will probably cover all expenses of making the game

I think I heard the 1million too. That would be in terms of pre-purchases by before bwe2 I think it was
    If I remember rightly...there was a statement some time ago saying they hoped for 1m pre-purchases. And they later said they'd surpassed their hopes.

It's pure supposition...but I think that's all we have to go on so far.
    The fact that digital purchases ran out because they were greater than they thought their servers could handle or something, that bwe1's server's were majorly strained beyond expectations, that they doubled the physical number of servers before bwe2............well, it's all quite telling.
    But yh....we don't know.

Deleted
    Can anyone remember how many pre-purchases rift had? I think it was around 1mil... if gw2 has 1.5mil already then its the second most sucessful MMO ever already!

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    I think I heard the 1million too. That would be in terms of pre-purchases by before bwe2 I think it was
    If I remember rightly...there was a statement some time ago saying they hoped for 1m pre-purchases. And they later said they'd surpassed their hopes.

It's pure supposition...but I think that's all we have to go on so far.
    The fact that digital purchases ran out because they were greater than they thought their servers could handle or something, that bwe1's server's were majorly strained beyond expectations, that they doubled the physical number of servers before bwe2............well, it's all quite telling.
    But yh....we don't know.
    Yeah the idea of them having to account for players means that they underestimated themselves pretty highly. They were able to quickly reorganize but from this I expect that their expectations were high exceeded. I'd say there were around a million pre-purchases before BWE1, to be honest. Then I'd say that doubled, at least, between BWE1 and now. I know that between those times, I was able to convince like 5-6 people to hop on board the GW2 train as the next MMO for us to play as a group of friends. If 10% of the million did this, that's another 500,000 players added by word of mouth alone, let alone the amount of advertisements that were going on from gaming stuffs.

This is my conclusion and I'm sticking to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    They won't release any numbers yet for obvious reasons, everything you hear is just wild speculation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

With pre-purchases, pre-orders, online sales and all the rest, it's becoming increasing hard to figure out how many sales anything has until they have to fess up to the shareholders. And even then they'll stretch the truth as far as it'll go.

Picking a server at random, BWE3 didn't feel terribly crowded, and I only got moved to an overflow shard once. 45 servers x 29 areas x 500 players per area = ~650k players. That's a rough guess at players per area, and not taking into account that high level areas won't have anyone in them. I'd give that as my rough estimate for number of pre-purchases. Some might not have played, but there were certainly some free players there who had keys from other sources.

There are pre-orders as well, that haven't got keys. I'd say the same number again, tbh.

Lets round up a bit and say a combined pre-purchase/pre-order total of 1.5 million worldwide.

OhI agree with taking numbers as very speculative, in fact I said so right off the bat.

That said, I never played on a "normal" server my entire BWE experience, I was always on overflow servers and WvWvW was almost always full on all maps.

---------- Post added 2012-08-03 at 01:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    They won't release any numbers yet for obvious reasons, everything you hear is just wild speculation.
    so, nothing new for these forums then? :P
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-08-03 at 02:03 PM.

Deleted
    That investor leak the other week said they had sold over 1 million pre-purchases

(actually I think the exact wording said "pre-orders").
    Last edited by mmoc3f9c23ccd2; 2012-08-03 at 01:35 PM.

I remember seeing something about "estimated 1M+" a month or so ago... Have no concrete evidence whatsoever though. We'll ge tthe numbers on release.

Veiled "fanbois were wrong, game is not popular" thread.

0/10
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Like diablo, they wont release any numbers before the actual release week is over. Making sure they dont undersell it by claiming only a million sold copies.

Deleted
    Can anyone remember how many pre-purchases rift had? I think it was around 1mil... if gw2 has 1.5mil already then its the second most sucessful MMO ever already!
    According to this RIFT has never hit more than 600k subs, and is running at under 250k now :
    http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

SWTOR peaked at 1.7mil and dropped to 1.3 mil
    http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png
    Last edited by mmoc3f9c23ccd2; 2012-08-03 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yowser View Post
    According to this gw2 has never hit more than 600k subs, and is running at under 250k now :
    http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png
    GW2 isn't on there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

Sea of sorrows a popular server was constantly crowded always in dat dere overflow server...that said 4 mill copies is stupidly out of wack...my personal opinion is about 800,000 tops...i could be / probably will be wrong but 1 mill signed up for beta...beta is free....so i'd suggest 800,000 sales. etc