Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so what part of "let's quit arguing" was misunderstood?

Keller, based on your earlier statement of "It's because none of those drivers are of actual quality", your argument [edit: appears to be... I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth] usually manufacturers use crappier components when they use more drivers in a headset. In turn, those crappier components make the sound worse.

glo's argument appears to be that virtual or true surround, when done properly, both are viable solutions.

So, the argument can stop with telling the OP to be sure to get a product that uses good quality components, regardless of whether going for a "true" or "virtual" surround experience.

That's enough now. If you want to properly contribute, you can continue posting. If you want to bitch back and forth, I'm done warning and infractions will go out.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2012-08-03 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    So you're denying a source based on what exactly ? On not liking the site it came from? That's your issue.

They do compare the headsets in a blindfolded manner and they only compared their positional accuracy.
    I'm sorry but a pair of headphones or a headset is not just about positional accuracy.
    It's about frequency response, it's about square wave response, it's about efficiency, weight and comfort. That article, compares the headsets, and validates that 4 drivers is not better then one in any way, atleast for gaming.

Now that what you're arguing against is refuted are you going to just turn around and say the product you purchased is better then other products, just because you want it to be?
    You didnt even say it, you said "Take a wild guess", meaning you dont know yourself. Go out and try some headphones, bring a laptop, preload some dolby 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever your soundcard uses tracks and try them on a pair with singular driver, designed for audio, such as the sony MDR-V6, or the AD-700, or even the Koss Portapro.
    I'm not refuting anything. The article you linked said itself neither is better than the other in regards to discerning where the sound is coming from.

EDIT: Don't infract me, this post went out seconds after yours apparently. <3

---------- Post added 2012-08-03 at 11:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Read again. It says that both digitally emulated 5.1 surround and real multiple drivers are equally accurate for pinpointing the direction of sound. Which means regular stereo headphones with software 5.1 are equally good at directional sound as 5.1 headphones without any DPS effects.

But.

Here's the big but.

On speakers, bigger is always better for absolute sound quality. It's not a matter of personal taste or opinion, but physics. Bigger driver means better frequency range if all other variables are the same. That's why 2.0 headphones are always going to be better than 5.1 because those have bigger drivers if all other variables remain the same. Of course there are worse quality big speakers and better small speakers, but it's more exception than rule.
    One would have to take into account that simulated channels are inaccurate due to their inherit processing to convey "virtual" surround. Correct? So one would assume that a dedicated driver that needs no sound altering to project surround would be more accurate.

Regardless, the headset he's arguing about has 40mm drivers right in the middle. You can simply enable solely them for listening to music and the such. I suppose one could argue 50mm would be better, which they would be, but you're not finding -good- 50mm driver headsets for sub $70.
    Last edited by glo; 2012-08-03 at 11:11 PM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Alright OP, the conclusion is that there is nothing within 4driver headsets to make them preferable to just virtual surround headphones or headsets. Infact they're hindered by the extra cabling and bulk within them.

As far as my recommendations - check my post on the first page.

OT:

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post

---------- Post added 2012-08-03 at 11:11 PM ----------

One would have to take into account that simulated channels are inaccurate due to their inherit processing to convey "virtual" surround. Correct? So one would assume that a dedicated driver that needs no sound altering to project surround would be more accurate.

Regardless, the headset he's arguing about has 40mm drivers right in the middle. You can simply enable solely them for listening to music and the such. I suppose one could argue 50mm would be better, which they would be, but you're not finding -good- 50mm driver headsets for sub $70.
    Virtual surround is just as accurate as "real" surround, did we not agree on that? Virtual is not inaccurate.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."