Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    My grandma is 85 and quite large so I see an overweight elderly person fairly often. Granted its not something you see often but they are out there.

People who make it to 80 were probably pretty fit most of their life in order to get that old, and the elderly tend to eat less for a day (and watch what they eat). An actual meal serving would be like half a hamburger, with no bun, or condiments. Most people, including me, are fucking pigs - My father in law eats 2 meals a day, soup, or cereal for breakfast, no lunch, and for supper usually meat - a steak, hotdog, or tv dinner ect.. The elderly usually have problems with foods, so the become light eaters, several small snacks through the day, including hard candy, and crackers.

You eat like an old person and you will be thin too.

I don't know about you, but after eating at Mc Donalds, I feel like I could die! Could you imagine that feeling at 80+?

--Edit--

@ Sills, your grandfather is probably pretty active for an 85 year old?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Just dawned om me I can't recall ever seeing an old fat person ever...excluding Santa Claus.
    Don't know what strange corner of the world you're from, but they're all over the place. Most of the elderly I see are obese.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Define fat: obese? 25-30 LBS over weight? Or Whales seriously overweight 60+ LBS.

YES to Obese
    NO to Whales

Old people don't get out as much as younger people, go to a retirement home.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    People who make it to 80 were probably pretty fit most of their life in order to get that old, and the elderly tend to eat less for a day (and watch what they eat). An actual meal serving would be like half a hamburger, with no bun, or condiments. Most people, including me, are fucking pigs - My father in law eats 2 meals a day, soup, or cereal for breakfast, no lunch, and for supper usually meat - a steak, hotdog, or tv dinner ect.. The elderly usually have problems with foods, so the become light eaters, several small snacks through the day, including hard candy, and crackers.

You eat like an old person and you will be thin too.

I don't know about you, but after eating at Mc Donalds, I feel like I could die! Could you imagine that feeling at 80+?

--Edit--

To add to this, we lose our taste buds a bit as we age just like with all other senses. Less taste buds = it all tastes the same anyway, so why reach for the cookies?

This is also why restaurants who primarily serve seniors have platters so bland a High School lunch lady would cringe. Enhancers for us (salt, pepper, spices) can just be irritants for them and they want simple and easily digestible rather than fancy and calorie laden.

Reminds me of a joke a comedian made though it was about smoking.

*lights a cig on stage* "yeah i smoke!, men always say they want to go live with the cute nurses in the retirement home. What they forget is that they will be wearing a diper and cant even remember the last time they were able to get it up. They can hardly remember the last 5 minutes" and then he goes on about old people for 5 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    maybe im wrong. just seems to me like most people die around their late 60s
    I think a lot of the 80+ year-olds end up in nursing homes. You just don't tend to see them as often.

As for "old fat people" ummm... I've seen a lot more "old" people who used to be fat than I have old people who are fat. It's hard to stay fat when you're be fed through a tube, I'm afraid.

--

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Erm. Grandmother, I think.

Deleted
    Grandfather, 78 years old, 100kg
    Great-Grandfather, 96 years old, 85kg with no legs

So yea I see them almost every day, 1 is healthy, the other one had a stroke at 92 but seems to be really fine now even learning to talk again.

Not all fat people are in bad shape as everyone seems to think.

My grandfather is 78 or so and pretty big. Id say even after diabetes hes around 320 ish. granted is 6'7 so it just looks like big pregnant belly
    "We are but simple mortals. We don’t have magical cosmic powers than can alter the fabric of the universe. We just have our equipment, the strength to carry it and the skill to use it."
    ::Grundy - Protection Warrior::

Knowledge is power, power corrupts. By this philosophy, school is bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a generational thing. The generation that brought on obesity as a so-called "epidemic" simply hasn't made it to old age yet. It'll come though. Give it time.

I'm not talking 60's or 70's but old old like 80 and up.
    You should see my grandma... 81 years old and lovely but.... ohmygod....

I've seen plenty. Most of them were healthy and thin for most of their lives, and just piled on the pounds past 60 or so. It happens I guess.

That's because they probably all died before they could look notably old from obesity related health issues

I have thought this before and that's my conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    since you exclude people in their 60s and 70s then what are you expecting? there arent many 80 year olds to begin with ive personally only ever met 1. so add in the fact that most people dont live to be 80 and that being fat typically makes you live shorter lifespans yeah theres not many fat 80 year olds
    What? The life expectancy of most places is 80+

My friends' grandma is a 90 year old woman who must weigh 160 lbs.

Deleted
    You know what. I just remembered growing up and having 2 grannies. One was called "skinny granny" and the other was "fat granny" I guess they are out there.
    That's so mean

Deleted
    By being overweight you are at higher risk for diseases, so the chance you will get to 80+ is smaller.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I worked in a hospital for ten years...so yea, I saw them a lot.

I don't have any statistics to prove it, just my experience, but it always seemed that people above average in height die earlier as well.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-08-04 at 02:59 AM.

Just dawned om me I can't recall ever seeing an old fat person ever...excluding Santa Claus.
    That's because fat people tend not to make it to old age. They tend to log off for the last time by their 50s or early 60s due to the usual suspects: diabetes, heart attacks and strokes.

If you want to make it to old age, don't get fat.

Old like 60s or 70s

Or old like 80s and 90s

60s yes but typically you get smaller and less obese by 80s and 90s simply because your body is near dying and needs less energy to sustain itself