Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastwords View Post
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Guild+Wars+2+the+WOW+killer

Fun fact, random person talking out his ass like most people do on the internet.
    Fun fact its b2p, it can't be a wow killer. You can play both.

Fun fact, random person talking out his ass like most people do on the internet.

I think he meant no one in this thread

Reading comprehension is hard

10+ Year Old Account

Infracted for trolling --Kel
    Fun fact: Everything shown in google is from non-GW2 fans going "omg so not a WoW killer" or "Is it really a WoW killer?" or "Could this be the next WoW killer?" and people debating back and forth about this very topic. Sensationalist article writers will also use the phrase in order to garner more attention than they otherwise would.

The majority of GW2 fans, whether foaming-at-the-mouth fanatics or calmly anticipating average gamers, do not consider GW2 to be a WoW killer.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-09 at 07:12 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoo I'm late to this party. Visiting forums is last on my priority of things to do during the day, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    I don't disagree. A sense of progression is important to a lot of players. But character progression is a double-edged sword (it's also an illusion, because as you get more powerful, the difficulty of content simply gets increased to match your new power). There will undoubtedly be a lot of players who hate not getting any upgrades past level 80.
    Quite fair. I'm not sure I would consider it an illusion, but content becoming meaningless (apart from cosmetic purposes/achievements) is a huge concern. I'll address that a bit later. But I do want to point out that my perspective is my own. The truth is there are just too many different players of different types. I know there are a lot of people like me, but I don't mean to speak for them. I speak for myself.
    But games with endgame character progression have the problem that content becomes obsolete. By making characters actually more powerful, you'll also start trivializing content. You will gain players that like that feel of progression, but you will also lose players who run out of stuff they have to do. And you will also need to invest a lot more money into continuously developing new content.
    This is a very valid concern. Although I prefer a WoW-like system (and I hate always using WoW as an example but let's face it: it's something everyone knows), I do not think it's perfect. Far from it. I just prefer the current WoW system to GW2's lack of a end-game system. In a perfect world, an MMO would get an average i-level (or whatever hidden value is used) from all raid members and scale the encounter up or down according to the resulting value. I don't even think that would be a difficult thing to do...
    Either way, I'd prefer to have content to do to progress my character, even if it gets trivialized.
    To be clear, this is not entirely unavoidable. Both City of Heroes and Rift have mechanics (exemplaring, mentoring) that allow you to temporarily reduce your power to do (some) of the older content without overpowering it. But I expect that there's a great deal of overlap between players that use these mechanics and the players who don't really care all that much about progression.
    Indeed. In regards to content trivialization (did I just make up a new term?!?) I think that Rift was a step in the right direction. But what I mentioned above I think is the best method. I wonder why it hasn't been attempted yet?
    A lot of the desire for character progression is also about status, not raw power. I suspect that some sort of PvE highscore list (including separate ones with rankings for dungeon completion, exploration, etc.) would satisfy both the competitive urges and the sense of progression of a lot of PvErs without requiring any actual gear progression. Admittedly, that is a bit of speculation on my part. ArenaNet seems to be aiming to do something similar with legendary weapons (though these seem to involve a fairly huge grind, so I'm not sure how much mass appeal they will have).
    I definitely see that point, but a lot of my perspective is also from being a minmaxer/theorycrafter. I get ecstatic with a new upgrade in WoW because it means I get to go back and do all the math to make myself perfect again. I reforge my stats, regem where needed, and get the perfect enchant. Now, I must also admit that only a small fraction of people actually care about that. I'm a math nerd (because I'm Japanese? ). Perhaps your solution would be one that would satisfy a lot of existing PvE players. I think it's an interesting idea regardless.
    In the end, no MMO can be all things to all people. You cannot please all players all of the time. All MMOs have to pick some things that they're good at and at the same time sacrifice other aspects.
    That will always be true. There are things I wish GW2 would be, but then there are things I wish WoW would be. And The Secret World. And Aion. And TERA. And all of these MMOs that hit my credit card each month.
    And GW2 is already targeting a player profile that is very different from WoW, not just when it comes to raiding. For example, GW2 not just expects, but requires a fair amount of initiative to discover content where WoW will guide you from quest hub to quest hub. That alone is going to throw a whole lot of MMO players for a loop. Some content eschews traditional rewards aside from minor XP gain (vistas are primarily about the aesthetic pleasure of sightseeing, jumping puzzles about the sense of achievement). Combat requires you to relearn quite a few things to be effective. There's no open world PvP (in the sense that PvP gets mixed up with PvE content) and no PvP vs. PvE servers. Dynamic events often require you to wait around for the next one to kick in, denying you the instant gratification of the click-and-follow-up of the traditional quest/mission model.
    I agree, it will take a certain type of player to get the most out of GW2. I truly believe I will have no issue leveling my character. I liked needing to discover different "hubs" in GW2, and although I found the 'dynamic events' stale it's still a step in the right direction as far as leveling experiences being different goes. My only concern is endgame. With my personal reasons for playing MMOs, I do not think it will satisfy me. GW2 is definitely doing some things right, and I hope for its success. I just don't think it will be my MMO.
    All of this is a bit of a gamble, and arguably more of a gamble than just turning the traditional PvE endgame on its head. It may of course blow up in ArenaNet's face, but more likely they'll have created a market niche where they face very little competition specifically because they target a different player type than almost any other MMO.
    At least they're taking the gamble! It's definitely time to start breaking the mold for MMOs and entering new territory. Or so I say. Perhaps this mold has a tighter hold on me than I thought? All of my arguments have basically been in favor of sticking to the same formula. Ha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I just prefer the current WoW system to GW2's lack of a end-game system.
    Technically speaking, GW2 does not lack an endgame. The endgame just doesn't revolve around gaining more stats. There's hard content to complete, fantastically beautiful armor and weapons to acquire, and multiple gearsets to put together in regards to stat allocation and build min/maxing.

The legendary weapons, in particular, should be attractive to the more hardcore crowd. Unless you're like Fencers and loathe crafting with every fiber of your being.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Really need to keep progressing beyond the level cap limitations to have a comparable endgame. There really isn't a PVE endgame in GW2. There are things you do at max level.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Really need to keep progressing beyond the level cap limitations to have a comparable endgame. There really isn't a PVE endgame in GW2. There are things you do at max level.
    Which are strikingly similar to the things you do at lower and mid levels. This can be viewed as either a good thing (like I view it) or a bad thing (like some people do view it).

10+ Year Old Account
    Au contraire! There is plenty of end game in GW2 - see the video the developers made to discuss it

Valar morghulis

Dudes, it's Fencers. Just leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrok- View Post
    Dudes, it's Fencers. Just leave it.
    Not sure what this is meant to imply. But it seems intended to be an indirect insult of some kind?

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Au contraire! There is plenty of end game in GW2 - see the video the developers made to discuss it
    Marketing, dear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you implying that they are telling lies? They have delivered on every thing they've stated so far.
    Valar morghulis

Not sure what this is meant to imply. But it seems intended to be an indirect insult of some kind?
    Not really. People view endgame in different ways, and you made your view about GW2 endgame quite clear a few times already. No one is gonna change the way you see it, surely not with such common stuff like they posted.

edit: I have a lot of respect for you, even though I don't agree with half of your opinions.

Are you implying that they are telling lies? They have delivered on every thing they've stated so far.
    I am stating they are marketing their game with a spin palpable & in a context familiar to vulgar audiences, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have reasons for this statement?
    Valar morghulis

Hang in there, Destiny's Edge! I shall reunite you!

Do you have reasons for this statement?
    Yes. They are selling a game called Guild Wars 2 aimed a mass market identified by the tropes of the most successful bimodal MMORPGs of the last 10 years.

Deleted
    And the one reason I wont even consider it is: GW1 was extremely Boring and has put me completely off of even looking at GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasmodian1 View Post
    And the one reason I wont even consider it is: GW1 was extremely Boring and has put me completely off of even looking at GW2.
    Good, now close this tab and don't return.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lies? No, just marketing. Remember all the SWTOR marketing that was done? Most of it was true, but not in the way a lot of people thought it would be.

The devs say one thing, the information we have and beta says another. Although this is all perspective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. They are selling a game called Guild Wars 2 aimed a mass market identified by the tropes of the most successful bimodal MMORPGs of the last 10 years.
    No, actual reasons/evidence to believe that they are lying to us about the events taking place in Orr.
    Valar morghulis