Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    Please answer me this: - what I'm going to do when I already finish every heart, find every vista, jumping puzzle, complete every DE. Yes there are dungeons that will reward gear - ok lets say i did it all, got all the armors and even legendary weapons, what next?
    Basically, you're saying what do I do after I do every piece of PvE content in the game? If you did every quest, every achievement, every heroic dungeon, every raid, and got complete best in slot gear, what would you do next in WoW? Wait for a content patch most likely, or an expansion. I don't understand why people assume that there will never be content updates.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    I wonder if there's a dynamic to the dynamic events, haha. As in...it's not reoccurring every x minutes, but occurs depending on other factors such as..I don't know, players killing lots of a certain type of mob, or, if dynamic event y has been completed successfully by players 10 times within a few hours, a new dynamic event establishes itself and a boss mob appears to crush us.
    In queensdale at the first heart at the farm, I noticed that every time I was there and killed enough worms... the worm queen showed up. So that could maybe be something other than a "x minute spawn timer event". It is kind of logical, who wouldn't get mad because you are killing her babies? :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yoomi View Post
    In queensdale at the first heart at the farm, I noticed that every time I was there and killed enough worms... the worm queen showed up. So that could maybe be something other than a "x minute spawn timer event". It is kind of logical, who wouldn't get mad because you are killing her babies? :P
    yes, and also at launch expect lots of events to trigger, there will be a high flow of players, its not fair if an event triggers for the first wave and then the second third and fourth waves dont get events....so yes, they will repeat more often at launch, thats the only way it can work.

But events trigger of many factors:
    Some appear to be random
    some are on loose timers
    some are player triggerd
    some appear to be on number of players, or at least this increases the chance
    Some are statedependant. If other events are completed or failed, they may trigger other events
    and so on.

I doubt there are many single trigger events.

Quote Originally Posted by yoomi View Post
    interesting observation

about this from the wiki:
    Dynamic events are cyclical in nature and the events are generally chained together. Events do not necessarily follow a fixed schedule, and may only trigger if certain conditions are met - for example, if a snow storm strikes an area, or if night falls on a graveyard. Once an event has triggered, it will continue to progress whether or not players participate in that event. Although the cyclical nature of the system means that consequences are ultimately temporary, event results can persist for days, weeks, or even months until a player comes along and does something to progress the chain of events.[2] Each event has an NPC associated with it with whom the player can talk to learn more about the story and lore behind the event.

---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 12:16 PM ----------

someone mentioned griefing

regarding this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Flannum
    In the end, stopping griefing is one of our highest priorities. Through our playtesting we’ve already found a few ways in which some of our events could be griefed, and in every case we’ve made changes to stop it. At this point we think we’ve addressed most of these issues, but we’ll continue to be vigilant as we develop the game and will of course take whatever measures are needed to stop griefing after the game is released.
    http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-flann...vent-questions

---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 12:25 PM ----------

pretty sure some PvE players will love GW2's PvP too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post

pretty sure some PvE players will love GW2's PvP too

lol, that was hilarious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    Apart from that pillock is griefing his own team......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raar View Post
    If wow's endgame was the same as its leveling they would have nowhere near as many subscribers as they do. Many players HATE leveling and see it as a chore to get to the real game (raiding).
    I disagree. If WoW's endgame was the same as it's leveling, WoW's leveling would actually be designed to be fun, rather than just be something to "get it over with."

I've made this comparison before, but imagine if the very first raid you encounter is at level 10. The first raid, not dungeon. Now imagine that every 5 levels, there is another raid to run, completely different from the first. Maybe most of these early raids are basically two or three bosses. Not extremely complex, but still not a faceroll raid.
    Now imagine that, when you enter these raids, your character is scaled down to the appropriate level for that raid. If you're level 85, and jump into one of those level 15 raids, you're now level 15, your stats are scaled down (but still superior because of your better gear), and still with full access to spells/talents. (Note: this makes finding a group for it at low levels fairly easy)
    And, of course, imagine that when loot drops from that raid for your higher-level character, it's of an item level that's worth grabbing for a character at your level, on par with the latest tier of raid content (perhaps based on your current average item level, even).

And obviously, these raids give tons of exp. Now imagine that, at max level in WoW, all that exp you no longer benefit from translates to Valor Points, towards your weekly VP cap.

That's the closest you can come to making WoW like GW2, while still keeping the raid content as the primary focus.

You now have "raid content" that you can do that's going to be easier to do than the current tier, but still be fun to do hopefully, at the times you want to just sit back and take it slow, while still getting decent reward from it.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-12 at 04:13 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

There was a time in Warcraft when you could walk into 5 mans with like 8 or 10 people. I understand that was removed not too long after release. With some tweaks I felt that was a good thing though. Could have provided a way for people to get used to working in larger groups and the special tactics as such.

Which was something MMOs previous to WoW failed at miserably; they did not teach players a goddamn thing. There was often not even a clue as to how to enter zones. And I mean as in simply how one walks through the door. Of course, that was part of the design of EQ/UO and such- you had to learn how to play the game.

Warcraft aimed to make MMOs less of a pain the ass by of obtuse gameplay. Yet Blizz never really got the bimodal transition down quite right I feel.

/opinion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Warcraft aimed to make MMOs less of a pain the ass by of obtuse gameplay. Yet Blizz never really got the bimodal transition down quite right I feel.
    Very much a big concern of mine, as well. Warcraft never really teaches new players how raids work, or how to play your class correctly. Dungeons and standard questing just don't do that. If they ever did, they certainly don't now. It's required to go to third-party web sites to perform well - whether that's just youtube, or also finding guides on EJ or the WoW forums or the MMOC forums or bosskillers or tankspot.

They tried to improve on this with the dungeon journal, which is a good step forward I guess, but they still don't really do anything to teach new players how raiding works. LFR is a step forward too, I think, but it teaches players (imo) that faceroll pewpew while standing in fire gets bosses killed.

Maybe the more hardcore crowd is happy about that, but... we've all seen that Blizzard is more interested in keeping the casual crowd happy.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.