Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 8stringer View Post
    it also cures cancer, stops global warming and will figure out that whole middle east thing....
    Nothing can figure out the whole middle east thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Soratrox View Post
    Do DE themselves repeat? Or is each set to only take place once on a given server?
    Yes, they will repeat. It works like a chain effect though. Say for example there's a friendly base, and some enemies will start to attack it, you'll then get an event to drive them out. If you succeed, they'll go away and the base stays in your hands. If you fail, the enemies now have control and they start to build fortifications there, and you'll get another event to destroy the fortification process. If you succeed, then you need to drive them away like the previous stage. If you fail to destroy the fortification process, then that base is fortified. You'll then get an event to destroy the fortifications, kill the repair guys who will try and repair the fortifications, and then drive them out completely in order to get back the base.

A majority (all?) of the dynamic events work off of chains like that, and in the video they had put out recently, they mentioned that events in Orr (the max level zone) are more like webs with many divergent paths.

Like something from the elder scrolls series, but without the main quest line and with more things to do.
    Funny you should say this... because there is a Personal Story line in the game per race. As well as the Destiny's Edge storyline told via dungeons and world events.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    WoW release 1 raid , 1 or 2 week after its release
    And 2 more after 3 weeks
    whilst I have raided, I enjoy other things in differnt games. this is not wow/rift/swtor....its GW2. if you want raids, dont bother, if you want a whole dynamic world of interesting and relevant content, step this way...
    Also, the world event bosses look awesome, and it looks pretty challenging for the big ones. (and not so big, that damm asura fire elemental was harder than any hardcore raid!, ok its getting toned down as its a starter zone but the devs said expect that level of challenge later on)

I appreciate the DE information, guys.

I think this is a major point that doesn't get touched on as much as it should.
    Being a B2P game, GW2 isn't really in direct competition with the other MMOs, I imagine a great deal of people will continue to play Swtor, WoW, Rift, and also purchase GW2, so that they can fool around when they get bored of their normal MMO.
    This is what I like the most about GW2. I can come and go as I like and won't be penalized, or fear losing money. In every other MMO I always felt like I couldn't quit due to subscription fees, and it ended up feeling more like work. Don't want to play today? You have to, you're paying for it AND you have to logon to do your dailies to get that rep, so you can finally buy that shoulder enchantment. GAAAH, rep grinds and dailies!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weird Beard View Post
    I have a question regarding DE's, since I'm still partially new to everything, only did one beta and stress test:

If I complete a specific DE, won't it reset after a certain amount of time? Won't those centaurs respawn after a while and try to take over the farm again, or are they gone forever? If so, how will the player after me get to beat up the centaurs?
    Dynamic events start out fairly simply in the starting areas and increase in complexity as you level up. They have ultimate success and failure states, different branching/webbing states inbetween.

Here is a sample of a low level one with various states:
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_Legion_Battles
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Weird Beard View Post
    I have a question regarding DE's, since I'm still partially new to everything, only did one beta and stress test:

If I complete a specific DE, won't it reset after a certain amount of time? Won't those centaurs respawn after a while and try to take over the farm again, or are they gone forever? If so, how will the player after me get to beat up the centaurs?
    Heart tasks (nearest questign equiv) are single completion events, but actual DEs are repeated, some are triggered, some are random, some are dpendant on outcomes of other DEs.

Anet have a "live team" whose job is to add new events to ALL the zones, So whilst at launch you may see events repeated with some frequency, as time goes on, more events get added, so you get less repeats and more variety in all the zones, not just the end ones

It was my observation that only the very beginning DEs weren't part of a larger dynamic chain of events. The level 2-3 stuff didn't seem to have multiple states of existence, it was either the bandits were blocking the bridge or the bandits weren't blocking the bridge.

Every other DE once you get past those very first ones have multiple stages, and they will only advance as far as you let them. The mistake most people make is seeing the award pop-up at the end of the DE stage with the gold/silver/bronze medal and then running off to find the next DE. When you finish one, stick around, there will be more to do. And follow it all the way through to the end, because some of them are really interesting.

In the Asura zone there was one where you help this little Asura round up some skritt for evaluation. I won't spoil it, but be sure to follow him back to his lab, it's definitely worth witnessing. (Hint: Don't stand in the room with the skritt).

That's where the DE system has really shined in my opinion: it brings the world to life. Seriously. When you finish a stage, stick around and see the world change due to your actions. It's great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    • *Because it’s so much more than swinging a sword.*
    (Or shooting pistols, or firing a flamethrower.) You can cut a swath through the baddies of Tyria, but there’s so much more. Puzzles, trivia, and all manner of non-combat challenges await you all over the world. Keep your eyes open and pay attention to your surroundings–it’s not just window-dressing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx4UdIpaCWU >>

/Hands down to the Arenanet puzzle and that guy for figuring the melody
    /Respect
    Oh god me and my friend spent like 30 minutes BWE3 trying to figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Though I would belatedly mention: Nothing is very epic the 10th time going through it.

But the first time going through it? I thought it was pretty epic. Not like suddenly spawning in Durotar, standing on top of a dozen other level 1 Orcs, half of which were gold spammers, with my first task being "Go kill 10 boars to prove your worth as a Warrior!"

I think Issormir felt more epic, though.
    Very, VERY big strawman here. First of all, the proper comparison is to where the entire concept of "epic looking lore event that will be won regardless of player input but can go faster if player is active" is lifted from: DK starting zone end event in WotLK. Except that that one was actually "epic" at least in terms of lore and actual progression, as the world was changed by your actions there. MY LEGEND norns are about as far from being "epic" and into "sorry, my ego is far too big to fit into your epic lore" as it gets for example. Fuck yeah, I talked to a couple of people and then watched a wurm suicide in about two minutes flat which let me into the actual game. I'm an epic hunter. MY LEGEND.

Sadly in BWE3 I absolutely did not care for sylvari tutorial "epic" event when I went though it the first time even though I was interested in their lore more then any other. It was yet another "suicides in two minutes or less depending on your effort" event. Yeah, it's a nightmare, I get it. Please die faster so I can get into the real game. I found the human event interesting because that was the first of these events I went through and because I didn't yet have any idea how to play the game, so I think I actually got hit a couple of times. Norn event was literally so boring, I recall I spent it typing in the guild chat in the browser on the other screen. Charr was "kill this crap faster so I can get into the real game".

YMMV obviously. Some people probably do UC event a dozen of times and don't get tired of its "epicness". Most people see it once and then just zerg it for exp, or if it's just started, /follow someone else doing it and afk. Same goes for these events, in addition to daftness of them actually being gated. You may have to wait several minutes for event to restart, during which you're stuck in tutorial zone. Ugh.

Really WTB ability to skip the entire suicide event and go straight to the actual game upon character creation. They allow you to do this with PvP, but they really should add the same option for PvE.

All in all I get the point beyond your strawman, but you're still polishing a turd, sugarcoating it, and then presenting it as candy. Sorry, but just no. No amount of polishing a turd and coating it with sugar will make it taste like candy. It will give a good impression when you just start the game which is the goal of the event. All times after, once you understand that it's just another NPC suicide event will just be about wanting to get it over with so you can actually access real content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    EBlizzard gets away with it right now due to the sheer gravity of WoW, but if the Cataclysm expansion had been released as a stand-alone game from a new development studio it would have been an incredible flop.
    So true.

Don't forget that in terms of PvE contente GW2 offers plenty of it while leveling, level 80 content and a lot of other zones you may have not visited on your leveling due to the downlevel feature, which I find an awesome way to keep it interesting for a lot more time. So when you hit level 80 you have all that new content for that level plus all of the uncompleted stuff as they will still be a challenge in some way.
    Arukas

Nothing feels new in WoW anymore. Even right after an expansion, it's just the same crap over and over now. There is only 1 thing that I'm even partially excited for in MoP and thats the talent overhaul simply because it gives me hope that my classes might actually feel at least a little different. I'm probably wrong and it's probably still gonna get old fast.

That is pretty much all I needed for GW2, then I played beta, and now there's a lot more than 10 reasons I will love it.

pve players will be the first to leave this game.
    Getting the best gear right of the bat. Farming for looks/aestethics
    No real endgame content. just some lame dungeons with repetetive mode 1 and 2

And the whole no healer no tank stuff just aint gonna work.

This game is a pvp game. nothing more

10+ Year Old Account
    Orr

/10charr
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post

Well done for sharing your researched, backed-up and well thought out opinion.

Only it's wrong.

I dont think you are right on this one.

PvE is getting alot more love than ever XD imo.

I do think you need to present a few more arguments to validate your opinion.

Instead of already condemning it, would be nice to try to welcome the design of the game. If it fails, it fails, but so far the evidences doesn't point to failure (for me anyway).

Whyyyy do people like you still exist T_T

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Very, VERY big strawman here. First of all, the proper comparison is to where the entire concept of "epic looking lore event that will be won regardless of player input but can go faster if player is active" is lifted from: DK starting zone end event in WotLK. Except that that one was actually "epic" at least in terms of lore and actual progression, as the world was changed by your actions there. MY LEGEND norns are about as far from being "epic" and into "sorry, my ego is far too big to fit into your epic lore" as it gets for example. Fuck yeah, I talked to a couple of people and then watched a wurm suicide in about two minutes flat which let me into the actual game. I'm an epic hunter. MY LEGEND.

Sadly in BWE3 I absolutely did not care for sylvari tutorial "epic" event when I went though it the first time even though I was interested in their lore more then any other. It was yet another "suicides in two minutes or less depending on your effort" event. Yeah, it's a nightmare, I get it. Please die faster so I can get into the real game. I found the human event interesting because that was the first of these events I went through and because I didn't yet have any idea how to play the game, so I think I actually got hit a couple of times. Norn event was literally so boring, I recall I spent it typing in the guild chat in the browser on the other screen. Charr was "kill this crap faster so I can get into the real game".

YMMV obviously. Some people probably do UC event a dozen of times and don't get tired of its "epicness". Most people see it once and then just zerg it for exp, or if it's just started, /follow someone else doing it and afk. Same goes for these events, in addition to daftness of them actually being gated. You may have to wait several minutes for event to restart, during which you're stuck in tutorial zone. Ugh.

Really WTB ability to skip the entire suicide event and go straight to the actual game upon character creation. They allow you to do this with PvP, but they really should add the same option for PvE.

All in all I get the point beyond your strawman, but you're still polishing a turd, sugarcoating it, and then presenting it as candy. Sorry, but just no. No amount of polishing a turd and coating it with sugar will make it taste like candy. It will give a good impression when you just start the game which is the goal of the event. All times after, once you understand that it's just another NPC suicide event will just be about wanting to get it over with so you can actually access real content.
    Well see, one fact negates your whole, erm, "argument". There are fail chains for most DEs.

Jeez, the amount of times you said "suicide event". Talk about logical fallacies.

Do DE themselves repeat? Or is each set to only take place once on a given server?
    DEs are just like public quests in other games, but significantly improved.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtG0kkDviTU

I think TotalBiscuit does a pretty good job here of showing what low level PvE is like. There's always a lot going on around you, and it's really up to you as to what you take part in. The world is constantly shifting things around, the hearts (which function much like normal quests from other MMOs) aren't the real meat. The public quests or "dynamic events" are. But there's almost always something going on somewhere around you, and it almost always leads into something else.

Edit: I think the most admirable thing about this game, at least at the low levels, is that it's very easy to just let the game take you on an adventure. You'll find yourself trying to do something, and then getting distracted and ending up on the opposite side of the zone from the reputation heart you were trying to complete half an hour ago.
    Last edited by Willias; 2012-08-04 at 12:16 AM.

Can never quite figure out what "epic" means in the context of gaming. I assume people mean heroic or 'really big'. The way the term is applied is often nonsensical though.

Some of the graphical issues people have with the game just don't make sense, and I'm not talking about the 'taste' level stuff. I'm not sure if their systems don't support the game on its higher settings, I'm not sure if they simply don't know that the visuals in many of those BWE videos haven't been completely unlocked for selection and I don't know if it's simply an issue with not knowing that even this last Stress Test, that happened after BWE3, had yet more graphical improvements that were not present prior. The problem of judging a game off a youtube video, aside from youtube visual quality issues, is that the game settings and hardware situations and various software or hardware issues of a given user are too often an unknown to the viewer of the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Orr

/10charr
    I think it was really important that they outlined a bit of what Orr will present to players, I just wish more people were aware of it. I feel lie, 'some' of the issues people worry about for Guild Wars 2, on a PvE level, may be helped by searching out that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Can never quite figure out what "epic" means in the context of gaming. I assume people mean heroic or 'really big'. The way the term is applied is often nonsensical though.
    More often than not it seems to have taken the place of, "Cool" or "Awesome" .. from what I've seen.