Deleted

MOP paladin hardcore leveling

For hardcore (as fast as possible) leveling:

Would you use prot or ret?
    Which talents/glyphs?
    Is it viable to keep inquisition up all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by corlay View Post
    Retribution can make quick work of any of the mobs I've encountered on the beta. Protection on the other hand might lag behind in the long run.

Which talents/glyphs?
    Where would the fun be in making your own talent tree if we just gave you one? There's no definitive setup that would make the difference, but personally I'd suggest going for more passive abilities than actives.

As for glyphs, there are none that are complete benefits to damage throughput. Just pick up some survival ones like Templar's Verdict and you'll do fine.

It is, and it's worth it. If you find it to be a burden between mobs you can always use the glyph to extend the duration and reduce the benefit. At least then, you're guaranteed more leeway.

For hardcore (as fast as possible) leveling:

Which talents/glyphs?
    Ret, Prot is only worth it with like, more than 3 mobs, which while this can happen, it would be foolish to think this can happen consistantly... especially on launch day.
    Despite what the poster said above me, I think burst talent choices (aka zealotry) far outweigh passives. The reason being, cooldowns still tick down out of combat. If you think of ultraxion vs. leveling maximization of dps-
    Ultraxion - Assuming CD of 2 minutes, duration of 20 seconds. Fight is 3 min (example) time, you can use the CD twice. That's 40 sec UT : 180 second fight.
    That's a 2 : 9 ratio.
    Leveling - Same, 2 minute CD's, 20 sec duration. An average 3 minute segmant of leveling - Fight, let's say 7 mobs lasting 12 seconds each. That's 84 seconds of fighting. Assuming you pop you CD 1 second into a mob (not ideal). That's 22 sec UT : 84 seconds of fighting. That's about a 2 : 7.3 ratio.

Since a "patchwerk" style fight is a 2:9 ratio, and leveling is a 2:7.3 ratio, this means that CD's are more effective in killing mobs than in patchwerk style fights. So assuming, the two talents are 100% balanced on a patchwerk fight, the passive would have to be about 28% more effective overall to be worth it in chain-killing mob scenarios.

This totally excludes pulling mobes together, which would increase the duration during mob killing to a full 20 seconds, and also excludes handing in quests/flying/riding somehwere, which would even further bring the CD's ahead.

tl;dr cooldown's are better for leveling than passives.
    Last edited by Smitus; 2012-08-04 at 09:24 AM.
    Smitus of <Solace>, previously of <SNF>

Deleted
    Aren't we losing Zealotry with the Pre-MoP patch though? I haven't really kept up with the Paladin changes, but I can see it's being replaced by Holy Avenger, which doesn't cost HP - but is a talent.

Quote Originally Posted by robodin View Post
    Aren't we losing Zealotry with the Pre-MoP patch though? I haven't really kept up with the Paladin changes, but I can see it's being replaced by Holy Avenger, which doesn't cost HP - but is a talent.
    Yes Holy Avenger is a better version of Zealotry. Every ability gets to 3 HP instead of just CS, and it allows for us to sustain more burst in our said burst phase

Quote Originally Posted by Emaias View Post
    Yes Holy Avenger is a better version of Zealotry. Every ability gets to 3 HP instead of just CS, and it allows for us to sustain more burst in our said burst phase
    Except it only lasts 15 seconds.

Deleted
    I would like to hear peoples opionion on some of the talents. Imo "long arm of the law" is a must because it has a short cd and gives a big speed boost.

For the 2nd talent both Repentance and Burden of Guilt could be super effective, both serves as a gtfo talent, with one you judge your enemy and the other use repentance and then get you out of harms way.

The level 45 talent is "selfless healer" or "sacred shield", selfless healer doesnt increase the healing done to you but it still reduces the mana cost of FoL (as far as I know).

Last is the level 75 talent where you have to chose between all 3 of them. In theory holy avenger should be the best but at the same thing if you have too many cooldowns that are activated you are going to spend more time thinking about when to use them and when not to use them.

I leveled as a ret in the beta, although I normally play prot, using:
    - "Long arm of the law" because you have it nearly every time you attack a mob
    - "Fist of justice" since multi targets can sometimes hit pretty hard and being able to stun every 30 seconds helps a lot
    - "Sacred Shield" although i've been using it not very often, I think it can be helpful when under heavy attack
    - "Clemency" for more and of freedom
    - "Holy Avenger" 3 HP each time is a really great dmg boost
    ( "Holy Prism" - of course not during leveling, but it's quite nice to have now)

I am leveling my second paladin to 90 and I have to say I like divine purpose more than holy avenger. It procs literally all the time and the extra wogs and tv's are very helpful all throughout leveling. Yes cooldowns are theoretically better for leveling but the entire cd rarely gets used on a mob and if you try to save it for specific instances instead of using it on cd then you are breaking the "theoretical" simulation.

I leveled ret in beta and I also found Divine Purpose to be better than Holy Avenger.

That said, go ret and don't bother with prot. It has SERIOUS damage issues, which is compounded by the fact that HOTR right now is bugged to hell and only does 1k damage with no AP scaling AOE.