Page 1 of 3
LastLast

If you are coming from another MMO

Hi guys, I came across this post on reddit and I think it really shows how people from other MMO's should approach the GW2 if they haven't done it before. This is fundamental part in understanding how to play GW2. So if you are new to GW2 and have played other MMO's - check this out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...my_experience/

Chained events - otherwise known as dynamic event chains - are something I have read about and "sort of" experienced through the BWEs 1 to 3.
    It was actually only during the stress test last night that I began to realize how GW2 was changing my mindset when playing MMOs, in a very fundamental way, and that chaining events aren't always in-your-face obvious.
    A little bit of background on the event:
    It was in the Asura zone, and I was running around until I came upon a lab being attacked by nasty inquest members. The battle proceeded as expected, with loads of people joining in until all the waves were defeated and the event ended.
    At this point, I had no event active, so I thought, based on my assumption-based mindset (derived from playing MMO's), "Well that was fun, let me run to another place and see if I can come across another event."
    As I was heading out, I stopped to listen to a golem talking about how his protocol was corrected, and he should get going on his search path. I thought that was quite cute. At this point, I broke from my mindset of "Oh, that's just scripted and the Golem will probably head off walking and then despawn because it's just a bit of fluff with no meaning like every other MMO". Breaking from that mindset, I chilled into the game and just ended up following the Golem on his little walk.
    It was here that my mindset, and approach to GW2 were changed fundamentally.
    The golem didn't despawn. He didn't disappear. He didn't just stop and repeat some scripted speech.
    He actually carried on walking, and ended up at another laboratory, where his search protocol gave him feedback... and he identified more undercover inquest members!
    BOOM! Another event kicked off!
    The reason why I found this to be so fundamentally changing is because there was no reason telling me to follow the Golem - it was an organic interaction and reaction to what was happening in the world. There was no quest text on screen telling me to "Follow Golem!" or any indication whatsoever that this Golem would lead me to another event. And it was amazing that instead of being guided by quest text, I was actually now playing the game and being guided by the game itself.
    TL;DR:
    Assumed Mindset before this event:
    1) The only thing to do in an MMO is when a quest tells you to do something.
    2) Quest NPC's despawn and disappear into a void of meaninglessness when the quest script ends, so don't bother "engaging" these after the quest is done.
    New mindset after the event:
    1) Engage the WORLD, not the quest! Don't just run around looking for event quests to pop up on screen to tell you to do something, because they aren't all active - be aware that NPC's and other things in the world itself could give an indication or warning or notice of upcoming events.
    2) Again, engage the WORLD. Listen to NPC's. Follow them. Treat them like other real players, and you are likely to be rewarded with "organically occurring" chains.
    It's a big change. And I hope GW2 players, new and old, understand to engage the world through sight, sound and NPCs instead of just quest text or event markers on the map.
    EDIT: Formatting. EDIT2: Thanks Horotho for the mob names (inquest).
    EDIT3: Do you guys think there should be a "how to play GW2" type guide giving ex-standard-mmo players advice or guidance on how GW2 actually works in terms of "questing" and interacting with the game beyond quest text?
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Yep, this was one of the first videos I saw that showcased one of those dynamic event chains: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes

Certainly made me hang around and talk to NPCs after the events during the last BWE.

10+ Year Old Account
    So many times in BWEs I ran into people not sticking around and not engaging the world. In Plains of Ashford, ALL the way at the eastern end there's a certain waypoint that periodically gets taken over by ogres. Eventually a small Ash Legion warband comes along, a bit to the south near the scout, and you can talk to the leader to initiate an event to recapture the tower the waypoint is at.

Typically, after this event, people would leave. But if you stick around, you notice the Charr talking about what to do next, and you have two exclusive options that are not chat options, but entirely dependent on what you, the players, actually do. The Charr talking to each other is simply your hint as to what you should do.
    1. Stick around and defend the tower from the impending ogre attempt to recapture the tower
    2. Go on the offensive and bust into the ogre kraal, with the goal of taking their little town.

After taking their little town, if you stick around even more, the ogres will attempt to take their town back, and you can fight them off!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's that accidental indoctrination of a check list mentality that causes people to move on to the next heart or vista instead of sticking around for events. It's really a problem if a player isn't explicitly aware of how things work, and I fear that it will cause a lot of people to get the wrong impression of the Dynamic Event system and the game as a whole, hell it's happened with Jesse Cox, Yogscast, and Blistered Thumbs, just to name a few popular press people/gamers. If the press/popular gamers get the impression that hearts are the main focus, what about the average gamer; the majority?
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    So many times in BWEs I ran into people not sticking around and not engaging the world. In Plains of Ashford, ALL the way at the eastern end there's a certain waypoint that periodically gets taken over by ogres. <sni[>
    Good event chain. I did the whole thing because it was the last POI for 100% in the zone. It's way in the back hut where the ogre boss spawns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would like to point out that this ties into what they said on Facebook:
    *Because Curtis’ ranch isn’t going to save itself.*
    No, really. If you’re hanging out in Claypool and Cattleman Curtis runs up shouting that bandits will take over his ranch if you don’t help, he’s not kidding. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dynamic-events/

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Good event chain. I did the whole thing because it was the last POI for 100% in the zone. It's way in the back hut where the ogre boss spawns.
    Yup, very fun. I did it multiple times in BWE2.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Most important for people who come from other mmos and pvp:ed;
    You dont have to level to pvp, or you can level in pvp.
    =)
    Should be added because there are lot of pvp players spread out in different mmos =)

Deleted
    So, GW2, perfect game for stalkers, you stalk npcs to get "quests" That's creepy man, think of all the poor npcs that think you're creepy!

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Most important for people who come from other mmos and pvp:ed;
    You dont have to level to pvp, or you can level in pvp.
    =)
    Should be added because there are lot of pvp players spread out in different mmos =)
    Leveling up in PVP sounds like it will take a long time compared to the PVE route of leveling. If they actually wanted to get all their traits as fast as possible to be the most they could be, they would be wise to level in PVE a lot more often.

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    Leveling up in PVP sounds like it will take a long time compared to the PVE route of leveling. If they actually wanted to get all their traits as fast as possible to be the most they could be, they would be wise to level in PVE a lot more often.
    WvWvW gives insane XP. So I would say a split between PvP and PvE is effective.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    So many times in BWEs I ran into people not sticking around and not engaging the world.
    Yeah, seriously... I mean, there are some of those events that the npc actualy takes a while to say something, but I did one in Kessex Hills I think where we cleared a cave of ettins because a giant asked us to do it, and while I was trying to solo it a group of about 4 other people came rushing in there and helped me to do it. After the event finished, the giant started talking, with actual audio and everything about how he was going to give us a reward, but EVERYONE ELSE just rushed outside the cave...

I mean... really? Someone say he will give you a reward and show you his treasure, and you just ignore it like that? It makes me think people are not ready for a game like gw2...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I`d like to believe all the good news and how every one is saying how "fresh" gw2 is among the other mmos.

But I do not. It can`t be THAT good. It can`t be that different.

I have not played beta, and the amount of videos I saw on youtube is very low. I have not read the classes descriptions, tips, etc.

I hope this game will prove wrong the things that I said in the second line. I really do. We will see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    Well I`d like to believe all the good news and how every one is saying how "fresh" gw2 is among the other mmos.

I have not played beta, and the amount of videos I saw on youtube is very low. I have not read the classes descriptions, tips, etc.

I hope this game will prove wrong the things that I said in the second line. I really do. We will see.
    It's a solid game with some very interesting ideas put together in a polished shell. It won't make all other MMO's die but it's a darn good game.

So, you come here, doubting the game while admitting you barely researched it at all. The hell is wrong with you? You don't go and judge something to that degree without trying it yourself.

I never thought a game would give me that feeling I got when I first played WoW. I thought I was growing out of MMO's all together. But then game GW2 BWE1 and I was shocked. I researched the game for a while and loved the new interesting ideas Anet was implementing but I never thought they would be so good.

Think of it this way. If you eliminate graphics as a factor and you released GW2 and WoW at the same time. GW2 would be the game that comes out on top. No Sub, no grind fests, no server queues leaving you staring at a blank screen, the ability to change your fighting strat on the fly, the chance to revisit lower level zones and still get plenty of XP, puzzles and secrets all over the world, no trinity required which means nobody gets left out..I could go on and on but you get the idea. GW2 takes all the crap you hate about other MMO's and either removes them or makes them 100x better.

So before you go and judge something, try it out.

Oh..and yeah, it is THAT good and it is definitely THAT different. IMO ofc.
    Last edited by iCandy; 2012-08-04 at 03:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Consider my mindset changed. Thanks for posting that OP as I will now enjoy GW2 much more than I already thought I would.

I remember having that epiphany moment where you first realize that these events are connected and you actually do get to help change the world around you. It's a powerful realization.

I was in the human starting area and there's an event where bandits try to poison the water supply. I ran in with the zerg, killing bandits left and right, but we neglected to cover all approaches and the bandits ended up poisoning the water supply. "Event Failed" pops up on the screen, the typical "way to go noobs" chatter comes from the "pro"s around and everyone disperses. I didn't leave, I think I was eating at the time so I took a quick break to take a few bites when I saw the poison oozes start spawning and the naturalist saying "get me some samples so I can make an antidote!"

So instead of just resetting at some point like we've all grown accustomed to, the world actually attempted to correct itself. From that point on I always made sure to stick around to see what the NPCs were going to do next. If you stop and watch a while, you'll discover just how fascinating and alive the GW2 world is.

10+ Year Old Account
    iCandy, you posit an interesting thought about GW2 and WoW being released at the same time. Without getting into a game vs. game thread I just wonder how raiders from vanilla WoW view GW2's PVE content. I raided back in Vanilla WoW, although I was terrible then, and I see the PVE content, specifically dungeons, and I don't expect I will get the same feeling from GW2's PVE content as I did from WoW's. Or maybe I will but, it will be on a smaller scale. Five people will get to feel that rush of victory instead of twenty-five. Anyways, the many elements of GW2 I will thoroughly enjoy regardless of dungeon content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    So, you come here, doubting the game while admitting you barely researched it at all. The hell is wrong with you? You don't go and judge something to that degree without trying it yourself.
    relax dude...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bebopin View Post
    iCandy, you posit an interesting thought about GW2 and WoW being released at the same time. Without getting into a game vs. game thread I just wonder how raiders from vanilla WoW view GW2's PVE content. I raided back in Vanilla WoW, although I was terrible then, and I see the PVE content, specifically dungeons, and I don't expect I will get the same feeling from GW2's PVE content as I did from WoW's. Or maybe I will but, it will be on a smaller scale. Five people will get to feel that rush of victory instead of twenty-five. Anyways, the many elements of GW2 I will thoroughly enjoy regardless of dungeon content.
    It's going to be different.

In WoW terms, think more like the AQ event. On crack.
    First, 3 landings will need to be controlled - by air, land and sea.
    Then a number of God Temples will need to be controlled to gain access to the dungeon.
    The devs stated this will be a server-wide event, that it will take a massive amount of players to accomplish.

We still don't know very much, what we do know is that there are more than 2x the Dynamic Events in this area than on any other map. That they chain and form webs of events.

A 5 man squad will not be able to accomplish this alone.
    Valar morghulis

relax dude...
    I...uh..was relaxed. I wasn't angry, at all, I was astonished by your post.

BTW, good job not quoting and talking about the actual important part of my original post. Typical reply of someone who realizes he/she was wrong.