Poll: Is the value of Best Picture Academy Award higher than any other category award?

Question [Movies] Is the value of Best Picture Academy Award higher than any other category?

Hey,

So a friend of mine and I got into this debate about "Best Picture/Movie/Film of the year is more valuable award than any other category award".
    He's saying that Best Movie/Film category is more valuable than any other category out there and that's the boss of all categories. Also he's saying that if some guy won an award for best picture award is better than someone else who won 10 awards more than the first guy.

I am saying that it's just a category and it has the same value as the other ones.

What do you think?
    Rufflesaurus <Huhuholics> Tarren Mill EU

From personal experience, any award you win as an actor, director or special effects artist is the best feeling in the world. Being appreciated is all that matters.

Best picture is good for the movie overall, will get interest in it and make more money

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... In order to win best picture, you need to have great acting, great writing, great directing, etc. So yes it would be the most important one.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

It's easily the most important award.

Have there actually been any Best Pictures that have not either won, or been nominated for, multiple subsidiary awards like best director, best male lead, best female lead, best music, best supporting actor/actress?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Have there actually been any Best Pictures that have not either won, or been nominated for, multiple subsidiary awards like best director, best male lead, best female lead, best music, best supporting actor/actress?
    Pretty sure that happens quite often.
    Personally I feel like best picture is often not as... critical of choices as some of the other categories.

Edit:
    Nevermind misread.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2012-08-04 at 02:57 AM.

It's the biggest award, and the one most people will remember 10 years from then unless the movie has a major sweep (like Return of the King)

10+ Year Old Account
    Best Picture is the ‘best’ award. It means the Academy thinks the film is the best film of the year, while a different film winning Best Make-Up or Best Costume Design maybe aren’t as good movies, but are on a higher level on design. I would say, for the individual person who is involved with the film, for example the FX-guys, they would most likely appreciate the Best Visual Effects award.
    But overall, Best Picture is the grand award.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think most often, the winner of Best Picture tends to not appeal to the masses. Sure it'll appear on a few more people's radar than it originally would have, but most won;t care. In my opinion, I would actually go so far as to say that Best Actor often counts for more than Best Picture.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Best Picture award is great for producers and film execs, but not so much for actors/writers/directors, at least from a career boosting perspective. The individual awards from those respective categories is much more important to them since it recognizes their personal achievement.

To me none of the awards are important.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    they've given the award to too many lousy movies for me to care