Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

[GW1] Hall of Monuments: Bite-size guide & Discussion

HoM how-to bite-size

Firstly, this is largely the same as many other guides you’ll see. I guess all this is trying to do is break it down.

I’ll be going off this guide as it’s got a huge amount of easy to digest info:
    Guide to earning Hall of Monuments rewards

-----
    Useful starter tips

-Now. Get the Storybook. Just follow the link for whatever character (prophecies, factions, nightfall) you've made and it will tell you where to get it. Get the Young Heroes one. Keep the storybook in your inventory when your doing the relevant mission (VERY IMPORTANT). Don’t bother with the HM or dungeon ones. Handy to make easy gold.
    -Type /bonus for some easy items. Pass the ones you don’t need to any heroes that can use them. U likely have no heroes yet so put them in storage for now.
    - Hero armor cannot break when salvaging off runes. Urs can. Be aware of this. Use a Perfect salvage kit on ur own armor if concerned.
    - in my experience, it can often be cheaper to use an Artisan to craft rare mats than to buy them, even from players. This is useful for prestige armor and the Black Moa Chick. Only works if you have an abundance of mats though…and I salvaged a lot. I personally always used an Expert Salvage Kit that would give me rare mats.
    - use argo-soft.net to check prices for things in Kamadan US active dist. This is where ppl sell things and it's become the trade hub.
    - get better armor asap. It makes a huge difference. Armor. See the Armor Rating part. See your profession. Notice the numbers...it will tell you where you can get better armor for each part of the game. Can't emphasize enough how much of a differnce it will make to ur survivability.
    - customize weapons for you and heroes at the (Weapons) NPC for +20% white (normal attack) damage.
    - alts are great for storage space. Factions and NF ones for insta-access to storage.
    - money. 1 platinum is called 1k. This is because it is made up of 1000g. Ul see this is trade all the time.
    - other useful Abbreviations

------
    Capmaigns

-Nightfall
    It’s easier than EoTN and will get you some nice heroes (which make EoTN much easier). You can also do EoTN first up to the point in the asura track where you get Livia and can do a nice asura quest detailed below in the EoTN section. You can also open up EoTN and HoM very quickly.
    Nightfall quests
    -That link breaks the quests down for you. One will take 30mins-1hr with bonus. So there’s ur bitesize. And detailed much better than I or anyone else could break down. Get the bonuses.
    - Get Olias as soon as you’re at Consulate Docks.
    -Also…when you’re in Throne of Secrets after completing Abaddon’s Gate (last mission in NF) get the quests from any heroes you did not get in the storyline. There will be 3 (or 4 or 5 if u didn’t get the optional). Nb you don’t need all of these for 30 HoM. For this guide you only need Goren & Norgu. Especially Norgu as he’s a 2nd Mesmer.
    -Most importantly, there’s a Rit hero available now. Look up Razah. You have to do an optional quest (Finding a Purpose) after completing NF to get him.
    -Do the missions you missed. (e.g. the branches). Also, if you didn’t do the starter island (Kamadan), do those 3 now.
    -Go to the Sunspear Great Hall and speak to Shilohto get some nice skills.

Now…as you’re already in Elona…
    8 cloths. 5 from The Shadow Nexus and 3 from Dajkah Inlet. 1 cloth will take around 30 mins. Drop rate I found was better in Shadow Nexus. (see note on EoTN cloths below).
    -Do this. Insatiable Appetite. Put the Branch of Juni Berries in storage for now.
    -Get 5 of these Skree Wing. Exchange them for Nesting Material. Put it in storage for now.

-Eye of the North
    Eye of the North quests
    Again…just follow that guide.
    -TIP. As early as possible go to Gunnar’s Hold and do Norn Fighting Tournamentto get Xandra. You can now have a SoS and SoGM rit. Get Zho's Journal as well and put it in storage. You can also get Kahmu while you’re here or come back later.
    -TIP. Do the asura track first to get another necro. You can now make Discordway if you so choose.
    -Get your missing heroes. Heros.
    -Farm 10 Cloth of the brotherhood in Glint's Challenge. 20-30 mins each. These are nice because they’re a guaranteed drop from the end chest. Upgrade your heroes’ armor and put them in HoM. (n.b. If ur using any of these heroes, salvage the runes off first).
    -Farm 8 Stone Grawl Necklace. Exchange with Galton Franks for 1 Honeycomb. Alternatively do A Hunter's Pride. Put in storage for now. If you decide to do the perfect items for Thackeray’s Scavenger Hunt (see below) you’ll need more Honeycombs. If you decide to it’s better to do the quest.
    -Do A Good Deed. (optional)
    -Do Thackeray's scavenger hunt. Getting all the perfect items is of course more difficult…and to be honest I didn’t get anything noteworthy from doing it. Go with the easier ones imo. (optional)
    -Speak to Kerrsh and do the Cipher chain starting with The Cipher of Melandru. This will get you Pain Inverter and a green weapon on completion of The Path to Revelations.

-Factions.
    Factions quests
    Again follow that guide. Factions will be a breeze now you have all those heroes and skills. Get the bonuses. They’re timed in Factions, and as you have ur heroes and skills already this will be easy.
    -After doing Gyala Hatchery get ur Zho's Journal and enter Gyala Hatchery. Get Incubator Kit. You can put the items for the Moa Chick in here to save on storage space.

-Prophecies.
    Prophecies
    This will also be a total breeze as you have all the heroes and newer skills. Only points of annoyance should be the bonuses and the last mission. Dem Sparks ><. Good news is…skip bonuses.
    -While near Fort Ranik get Moa Egg. Whenever you feel like a break from missions go turn it into a Hardened Moa Eggover in Cantha.
    -While near Riverside Province go to Tears of the Fallen and farm 5 Bog Skale Fin. Go turn them in to Gruhn the Fisher for a Herring. (n.b. this is not used, sadly, to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest). Storage.
    -When at Iron Mines of Moladune travel west to Copperhammer Mines and then further to Deldrimor War Camp. We’ll come back here later.
    -When near the end of Prophecies at Perdition Rock go get a Volcanic Rock. We’ve now got everything we need for our unique mini.

Ok.
    You now have 8 HoM points in the Honor tree and you should have 4 in the Fellowship tree.
    Seems like a lot of work for 12 points I’m sure. But we’re setup nicely for the rest.

Now for more points.
    -First we’re going to get the Black Moa Chick. Go to Deldrimor War Camp. Just outside get the quest To Sorrow's Furnace. Do each of the 4 required quests. For the priest one…bring a speed boost and make sure ur top 3 heroes are a healer, MM and a dps. Put them near the priest while u go kill stuff. Now do the follow up The Final Assault. Make sure you have the full Incubator Kit with you. Get ready to stand in the fire!
    15 points.
    -Rare pet. If this step seems hard you can pay someone for a spider run (Black Widow) This does not need to be death leveled, but the others do...runs are not that expensive.
    Make your 2nd prof a ranger. Decide if you want a Phoenix or Black Moa.
    Equip Charm Animal. Look up Death levelling. Get a vampiric weapon…best keep one if you find one along the way. Put it in the Zaishen Menagerie Grounds.
    17 points.
    -Get a gold mini pet. Buy Prince Rurik or Shiro. They’re the cheapest at around 15-25k.
    18 points.
    -18 cheap white minis. These are around 5k each.
    20 points.

Things get expensive now. And there are choices.
    -Prestige armors. Asuran, Norn and Monument. You need rank 5 rep for each. These 3 are the cheapest in game. Also get Ancient. Don't get the headpieces!
    -Luxon or Kurzick armor. This is the expensive one. Cheapest way is to farm either Jade Quarry or Fort aspenwood and converting your points into Amber chunk (Kurcizk armor) or Jadeite Shard (Luxon). You will need 70 of either. I did Luxon…because…turtles. Ofc, these can be just bought.
    25 points.
    ---
    Now the choices.
    If you like pvp you can farm 200 Zaishen Keys(or buy for 5k each) and get the pvp title. This also has the advantage of you being able to do it gradually…an hour of pvp a night for example.
    28 points.
    Then one Oppressor Weaponvia War in Kryta. Fun. Part of Guild wars Beyond…which acts as a bridge between GW and GW2. And more quests! Everyone likes quests. Plus you get a nice amount of gold. Exchange your War Supplies for Medal of Honor. When you have 10 medals get an Oppressor Weapon. Or buy a Destroyer Weapon for about 60k.
    30 points.

Now if you don’t like pvp.
    War in Kryta for an an Oppressor Weapon.
    27 points.
    -Buy or farm a Destroyer Weapon. Slavers Exile if you want to farm. Or buy rare mats.
    28 points
    -Buy 10 more white minis.
    29 points.
    -2 more elite armors.
    30 points.
    -Or buy an armbrace and get a tormented weapon.
    30 points.
    -Or buy 20 more minis.
    30 points.
    -Or Get protector title in Prophecies. +4 more titles. Urgos, The Deep, Guardian of Elona and Guardian of Cantha recommended.
    30 points.

----
    Builds.
    This is a good site for findingbuilds for any profession.
    http://www.gwpvx.com/PvX_wiki
    You'll see Builds by Profession near on the bottom on the left. You can follow links through here to find exactly where to acquire all the skills.
    To buy skills from vendors...at least this is the way I've heard you do it.....change ur secondary profession and visit go speak to the vendor. This is a time-consuming way to do it though...pvp is much quicker.
    You can unlock skills through pvp...buy doing Jade Quarry or Fort Aspenwood, collecting Balthazar faction points and then trading them in to unlock skills for pve. I don't know exactly how to do this though...but if u like pvp it's a handy way to unlock skills. U can get all ur skills in like a day tops.

Both of these are high-end builds. They'll require completing most of the campaigns and collecting a lot of skills. They can be used for HMs effectively and will faceroll almost everything in normal. I prefer Discrodway personally, find it more effective.
    Discordway - try to get some AOE hexes in ur build. Use Assassin's Promise, then the EV Assassin Support - you need to "call target (ctrl+shift+space) and heroes will spike mobs down. It's a very effective build...and the AP recharges ur skills and gives you energy.
    7 Hero Player Support - also very good. But I found it too slow. Prefer the spiking with Discordway myself.

----
    Perfect Weapons.
    Perfect stat weapons. Link defaults to Ele Fire weapons. This is a great site for finding the best weapons for a profession and build. Just search for, for example: Perfect stat weapons (Restoration Magic). Select it and it will show you where to get he best weapons. Just replace the Attribute with whatever it is you want.
    Farming - if u can kill the mob who drops the item with none of ur heroes around (when their names are grey) u will have a much higher (like 80%) chance of getting the item. This is hard for many profs/builds though. You can also just buy these items in trade. Perfect Green weapons cost about 3-5k.

----
    Gold.
    -Farm Glint's Challenge for cloths and Destroyer Cores. I’ve made a ridiculous amount of gold from this.
    - Hearts of the north. Nice rewards. You get more Medal of Honor from quests. Enough for another weapon easily. So you can get another 80k for the Oppressor weapon from doing this as well as gold rewards etc. You can also farm some of these quests repeatedly to make gold. Specifically Auspicious Beginnings.
    - Winds of Change. Very nice rewards. 100k+with hard modes.
    -runs. Droks, LA, Ascalon. Running anyone through any Zaisshan daily. Even sitting in the final mission of Factions can work. It’s easy and takes 2 mins. Some people will pay.

Toodles
    (any corrections or comments please let me know)
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-08-14 at 12:47 AM.

Could need some help for Guild Wars (1)

Trying to get some HoM points for Gw2 and play trough story etc in Gw1 and I come to a "wall" now. Or it feels like it so I consider asking for help on some party builds.

Im planing on doing all my self + heroes/henchmen. Just playing some time to time now and slacking until Gw2 realese.

Atm I have access to (with basic skills)

My self as Ranger.
    Koss
    Jora
    Pyre Fierceshot
    Tahlkora
    Dunkoro
    Ogden Stonehealer
    Olias
    Gwen
    Vekk
    Melonni
    M.O.X

Im looking for help for a good setup. And pointers on if I should gather more heroes @ Nightfall story before moving on with EotN story.
    Atm @ "Against the destroyer"(only asura part left) and @ "Hunted!" in Nightfall.

The problem for me atm is when I head out to countine with EotN story I get facerolled by mobs just outside. If I manage to get 1-3 packs down I start to chain die right after.

So if anyone wants to help me out with a good/decent setup + skill build for all heroes. (possible get more heroes somewhere. I understand that a Ritualist is great to get) would be great.

Deleted

GW1 players - HoM question

I already own GW1, however I have never played it beyond the tutorial area. At the time I just didnt really feel it was for me.

However with all the Hall of Monuments talk, and previews of the items available for GW2 im tempted to give it a go, for the pure reason of getting HoM rewards for GW2. Most topics about this are about getting 30/50 or 50/50 but Im not so bothered about that, I quite like a lot of the rewards in the first 10 points...

So, How long would it take for somebody completely new to GW1 with a brand new character to get the first 10 HoM points ?
    Last edited by mmoc3f9c23ccd2; 2012-08-04 at 01:49 AM.

The first 10 are the easiest, of course. If you buy the complete collection you get MOX, which counts as 1 point. Linking your GW1 account to your GW2 account counts for 3 points. You can get 2 points easily from death leveling a couple pets (or can you get the rare pet and any pet statue from 1 rare pet?). Then 2 points from finishing any one of the campaigns (I would suggest factions so you can get the rare pet when you finish it). Then just 1 common and 1 uncommon miniature for 2 more points and you've got it.

That would be the fastest way to get 10 points I think. You should be able to get that done in under a week pretty easily.

I bought the game just because of HoM. After 90 hours played, I have ten points. You can really easily get ten points without spending any money, or much money. It's just actually getting to the point where you can acquire points (basically beating the campaigns and having a good selection of heroes and skills) that's the tricky part if you're only aiming for 10 like I did.

My suggestion, just do all the campaigns. That gives you an easy bunch of point. Probably somewhere around 7-10 total. I'll go check to be for certain how much.

edit: Okay, specifically 8. You can get the last 2 by getting some titles for completing all the bonus missions for two of the campaigns, and that will get you three points. You can do these at the same time as completing the campaigns even, so it's hardly anything extra.

For the 8 points, I assumed: MOX, Eternal Hero of Cantha, Eternal Hero of Elona, Eternal Hero of Tyria, Accounts Linked. For all ten, just get two of these three: Eternal Protector of Cantha/Elona/Tyria. You can also do War in Kryta for an extra two points from the Oppressor Weapon if you want 14, or don't want to get those Protector Titles. You can easily achieve your goal by GW2's release though.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-08-04 at 01:52 AM.

Moved and stickied for the time being.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Thank you Kel
    We can direct all GW1 HoM questions here then hopefuly now.

If anyone has any suggestions for things to add (or corrections) to the guide please PM me directly and I'll see about adding them.

Ofc if there's any questions not covered in the guide feel free to ask away

Toodles

Try here for a general guide
    I'll update it with some builds info as well.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ize-guide-)-)-)

From now on let's try to use this thread for gw1 and HoM questions and discussions Thanks. ~Zil

Wish I could stomach playing GW1.

This is the quickest way to get the Animal Companion Statue. You won't get it for the Imperial Phoenix or the Moa. Takes less than 5 minutes and you get a level 20 pet.

1. Create a Ranger PVP character.
    2. Go to the Menagerie and talk to the NPC to get your level 20 wolf.
    3. Now go to the other NPC and release your wolf.
    4. Log in with your main toon (PVE i assume). Make Ranger your secondary profession.
    5. Equip Charm.
    6. Go to Menagerie and talk to the NPC that you released your wolf to with your PVP toon.
    7. Choose the hearty pet. He will spawn like 4 wolves.
    8. Charm the pet. Make sure you have no henchies or heroes (or they are set to passive).
    9. Return to the EoTN and HoM and claim your Animal Companion statue.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicWonder View Post
    Companion pet method
    Don't you get the Any Pet Statue when you get the Any Rare Pet Statue anyway? Can't 100% remember that..

Edit. Yh u do. It's not an efficient way to do it really.
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-08-04 at 06:44 AM.

Yes you do. Any rare pet will get you the Animal Companion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Yes you do. Any rare pet will get you the Animal Companion.
    Yh I thought it did.
    So that method is kind of redundant when going for 30 with a rare pet.

I feel like thing should be explained more. For a new person they might not know what 60k abbreviation means. Also the wiki doesn't tell them how to get a storybook.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I feel like thing should be explained more. For a new person they might not know what 60k abbreviation means. Also the wiki doesn't tell them how to get a storybook.
    Fair point I didn't want to throw in too much info early on...but I guess it would do more good than harm. GW is heavy on it's abbreviations and such. I'll load up the info intro.

Mini's are gone
    Last edited by Jovanaar; 2012-08-05 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Don't you get the Any Pet Statue when you get the Any Rare Pet Statue anyway? Can't 100% remember that..

Edit. Yh u do. It's not an efficient way to do it really.
    I think You are correct. But I needed one more companion statue to get to 20. And doing the wolf thing got it so I didnt have to get more hero armor.

---------- Post added 2012-08-04 at 01:33 PM ----------

I think You are correct. But I needed one more companion statue to get to 20. And doing the wolf thing got it so I didnt have to get more hero armor.
    I went to HoM just now to check. For handing in Imperial, Moa or Spider you get the Any Rare Pet and Any Pet statue. But neither counts as "Animal Companion" even though they are. So you can get one more statue by getting the wolf as I outlined. You can type in Crystal Melons (which is on an alt account and play with the unobtained items to see.

---------- Post added 2012-08-04 at 01:33 PM ----------

I went to HoM just now to check. For handing in Imperial, Moa or Spider you get the Any Rare Pet and Any Pet statue. But neither counts as "Animal Companion" even though they are. So you can get one more statue by getting the wolf as I outlined. You can type in Crystal Melons (which is on an alt account and play with the unobtained items to see.
    The HoM calculator doesn't apply the "Animal Companion" automatically if you dedicate the Phoenix, Moa or Spider, but in-game at the HoM place if you have any of the 3 you will be able to get the "Animal Companion" to your HoM points. I know cause that's what I did XD.

Deleted
    I hit 14 HoM yesterday after getting Luxon armor. Considering doing some Vanq for faction and getting the EotN armors to finish up resilience. How much do EotN armors cost? (materials, craft price, etc)
    Also, how long does WiK take to complete for the weapon?