Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia

"Epicness" as an emotion

Hello everyone.

So, basically, when i was about 12 or so (i don't even remember anymore how old i was to be honest) i watched the Return of the King for the first time, and i have to say, the scene when Rohirrim the gather up in front of the Mordor horde particularly stroke me as the best i've ever seen (to date) in the movie industry. During the whole scene, from the start of the speech to the end of the march, i had, as i imagine a lot of people did as well, waves of shivers going over my body. But that's not the weird part. During the "death" part of the speech and the start of the march (particularly when then blow the horns) i could literally feel some sort of feeling in my chest. It really unsettled me and i honestly though i was having a heart attack (i was very young and had very little idea of what a real heart attack could, should or would feel like). I should say though that it was the strongest physical feeling i have ever felt. It was stronger than...oh well, the strongest orgasm i had (sorry, but it's the only thing i could compare it to) and rather enjoyable too.

Since then, i've had this happen to me a lot of times, but never quite so strong. The only time it might've compared to it was in the movie the Dark Knight Rises, during the scene when Batman first appears. I was in an IMAX cinema, the really strong volume, the Dark Knight music theme that went off then and the fact the only thing i could see was the screen really made me feel like i was there, and i had that feeling again.

People say rage is the strongest short-term emotion a person can feel. But it doesn't compare, one bit, to what i have felt alongside the emotion of epicness. The moments when you're so angry you actually try to grind your teeth together to eliminate the pressure and suppress the anger, when you feel like you could wreck your whole room, don't compare to this. I feel like i'd be saying the same thing even without the weird physical feelings i get during epic moments. Anyway, i made this thread because i'm wondering if there is anyone out here who's felt the same thing as me during epic moments, particularly the feeling i get in my chest.

Thanks.

Deleted
    nerd

10char

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yup and I love it. That scene from Return of the King is also one of my favorites, I've watched it a lot of times, because frankly, it's just amazing. You see, that's what speeches like that are supposed to do, rile you up, get you ready to go and chop off some Orc head!!

For anyone who somehow doesn't know what is talking about, observe:

"A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Feeling in the chest, no, but the rest yes.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yup and I love it. That scene from Return of the King is also one of my favorites, I've watched it a lot of times, because frankly, it's just amazing. You see, that's what speeches like that are supposed to do, rile you up, get you ready to go and chop off some Orc head!!

For anyone who somehow doesn't know what is talking about, observe:

Whoa, overwhelming feeling of epicness hit me just then.

I totally get how you feel. It is difficult to describe, but it's definitely a thing.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is essentially one huge epicfest, if you want something that will invoke that feeling (and like Anime).

I don't think Epic/Epicness is considered an "Official Emotion" .. It's a tad broad.

Generally when something is Epic you will release a different emotion. Whether that be: Sadness, Overwhelming Joy, Amazement etc. So I think you could say that something being 'Epic' is just a Summary of your emotions about an event. (Of course you're not going to finish a Funeral and say 'That was Epic', but take the End of ROTK for example when Frodo has to leave Middle Earth, that is really Sad, but you can still class that as 'Epic' or 'An Epic Ending'.

But I definitely get what you're saying. I share basically the exact same experience as you (Except I was 11 for ROTK), and every time i watch LOTR I still get that grand feeling of 'Epicness' when every Awesome scene happens in each movie.

Also I agree with you on Dark Knight Rises, also the Ending... Especially the Music, how it swells as he flies off, sadness when you presume he's dead and they have the Funeral and then it slowly escalates back up as Blake finds the Batcave and Lucius discovers the AP was fixed and finally resulting in that AMAZING Bass drop as Alfred sits down, Looks up and sees Bruce and Selina. Ugh, that was Nerdgasm moment. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i7UueQjBoY[/url]
    Last edited by Daverid; 2012-08-04 at 02:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The word you're looking for is "awe." Awestruck, awe-inspiring, overawed, and other uses exist including - yes - awesome.

Pay attention in school!
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    I know that feel bro, I don't even have to really watch that scene, just thinking about it does the trick.

And now I want to watch LotR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Whoa, overwhelming feeling of epicness hit me just then.
    Right? I love sticking the DVD in in the basement and turning up the Bose 5.1 system we have had for a good 12 years now... definitely has been aged well and it sounds AMAZING. You gotta shake the house and that's when you truly experience it.

Another great scene (which is my Dad's favorite to watch over and over) would be....

"A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    The word you're looking for is "awe." Awestruck, awe-inspiring, overawed, and other uses exist including - yes - awesome.

Pay attention in school!
    Damn, beat me to it.

Also the anticipation of what's coming next adds to the excitement/energy.

Also, and no offense to anyone, but I really hope 'Epicness' never becomes a proper description of an emotion. It's way too vague and you'd end up losing words that are far more descriptive.

Deleted
    I hate to bring this up because it's quite personal and perhaps a lot of people won't relate but hearing the national anthem on an international match day gives me the feeling the OP describes. Knowing that probably just about everyone in your country is singing along and feeling the same pride and anticipation can be quite overwhelming.

Also, that LOTR clip is possibly one of the best pieces of film I have ever seen. While it doesn't compare to LOTR, The Last Samurai charge at the end where they all get gunned down is a very emotional piece of work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    I hate to bring this up because it's quite personal and perhaps a lot of people won't relate but hearing the national anthem on an international match day gives me the feeling the OP describes. Knowing that probably just about everyone in your country is singing along and feeling the same pride and anticipation can be quite overwhelming.

Also, that LOTR clip is possibly one of the best pieces of film I have ever seen. While it doesn't compare to LOTR, The Last Samurai charge at the end where they all get gunned down is a very emotional piece of work.
    I remember that movie. I saw it once and I was brought practically to tears by that scene.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I know what you mean, but as some dude above said; it's "awe" I guess.

I wouldn't call epicness an emotion. There is a feeling of a love for something when it is epic. It is the same feeling that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Usually from cool one liners or a dramatic entrance. When you saw Batman, you knew subconsciously that he's a bad ass and probably got a rush of loving feelings for him. Not saying that you love him, but rather you love the thought of a character such as him.

In the end humans only have 2 emotions. Love and hate. Everything else stems from these.
    Last edited by Greendog; 2012-08-04 at 08:07 PM.

"Epicness"? It's called Awe... man, are people really this clueless when it comes to what to call one of the most basic emotions we feel?

Quote Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
    In the end humans only have 2 emotions. Love and hate. Everything else stems from these.
    Whatever you say there, Daredevil.

See, 'cuz you claim to have no fear.

I am a very funny person.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    See, 'cuz you claim to have no fear.
    And you would be right my friend. I have learned throughout my life that fear stalls evolution and/or progression. You could say I'm enlightened or at peace or whatever you want to call it.

Fear IS an emotion, but it can come from both love or hate. Understanding and not being able to understand. There can be many things that cause fear. Some human beings hate for themselves gets projected onto other humans, which in turn instills fear into people. We can see it everyday when we turn on the tele and watch the news.

I can see where you are coming from though. The way I look at it is this.

Positives - Negatives
    Love -Hate
    Understanding - Fear
    Happiness - Sadness
    Awe - Shock

The list goes on and on so I'll just stop here hehe

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    "Epicness"? It's called Awe... man, are people really this clueless when it comes to what to call one of the most basic emotions we feel?
    First of all, English isn't my first language and i'd say i'm doing pretty awesome compared to other such people. Second, the explanations for "awe" on google/wikipedia don't match what i feel. I don't feel admiration, surprise or fear when i see that scene from RotK. What i feel may well be a combination of 10 different emotions, but it doesn't mean it can't be called an emotion itself. In fact if this combined emotion occurs only during EPIC moments, i dare call it an emotion of "epicness". I know this word doesn't exist, but it's the best thing that can describe it. Besides, we aren't arguing semantics in this thread. We're talking about the feeling you get during such scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    9 years later and that scene still gives me goosebumps. Damnit, now I have to re-watch the trilogy for the 32nd time.
    Yeah same here

Peter Jackson definately made 3 masterpieces with the LoTR movies. I hope he can do the same with The Hobbit.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    First of all, English isn't my first language and i'd say i'm doing pretty awesome compared to other such people. Second, the explanations for "awe" on google/wikipedia don't match what i feel. I don't feel admiration, surprise or fear when i see that scene from RotK. What i feel may well be a combination of 10 different emotions, but it doesn't mean it can't be called an emotion itself. In fact if this combined emotion occurs only during EPIC moments, i dare call it an emotion of "epicness". I know this word doesn't exist, but it's the best thing that can describe it. Besides, we aren't arguing semantics in this thread. We're talking about the feeling you get during such scenes.
    Awe is the word for describing those mixed feelings you have, it is not exactly an emotion itself but a mix of several different emotions.

I don't really experience much physical when awestruck aside from goosebumps. It usually happens when I'm reading but as several people have linked scenes from movies that I also have that reaction to. Last Samurai is certainly one of the best movies I've seen, I really do love the history they include in the movie. Now that I think about it I also felt it during the end cinematic of SC2, though it was mainly happiness. Hmm...may as well make a list.

Last Samurai(the last battle scene)
    SC2(End cinematic)
    WotLK opening cinematic
    Book Three of the Dark Templar Saga(author Christie Golden) several times through chapters 20-23
    Lord of the Clans(once again, author Christie Golden) the last paragraph of the book

-I may add to this list as I think on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.