Deleted

[Newbie] How does the gem store/economy work?

Ive never played guild wars though I must admit it seems amazing, and I'm planning to buy guild wars 2 cause it seems to be amazingerererer.
    However, I now stand , as a noob, before this game's economy system ... which is pretty complex (= a potentially great thing).

There seems to be gold, karma, influence, gems and Glob knows what else...

Is getting those currencies difficult?
    I believe the gem store is about RL money (= a potentially horrendous thing) but it seems you can also buy gems with gold,
    Is this do-able or does it become a grindfest?
    Example: Character slots can be bought with gems = (a sad thing, cause I had more then 5 proffesions Id like to play in mind ), would it
    be un-grindfesty to get the necessary amount of gems with coins?

Getting gold as far as I know it's "the same" in every game. But the economy on this game is really really well done (as far as I can see XD).
    Getting Karma is easy, you won't even feel like you are working for it.
    The gem store is about money yes, 10 dolars = 800 gems. But you can buy with gold, the price however is determined by demand, so as of now I don't think we know how much would cost with in-game gold.

Other posters might add to my response .

You can fully enjoy the game without using a single gem. However if you want vanity crap, even more characters, even more storage, stuff like that you buy it with gems. It's also how they make their money, so you can't really fault them for it since it doesn't translate into any real advantage over others in game play.

Think of it this way. If you played wow for a year, you'd spend how much money? If you spent half that on gems in GW2 instead, how many characters/storage slots/misc whatever else you want could you afford? Look into it, it's probably more than you even want to purchase =)

Deleted
    Gems can buy:
    1) Keys for chests
    2) Cosmetic town items
    3) Boosts such as +50% karma, +50% exp from mobs, Transmutation stones, etc.
    4) Usable items such as tonics and fireworks

They can also be sold to other players on the Black Lion trading market for gold. You can also buy gems with gold. If you don't want to buy gems with gold or IRL money, you can also receive the boosts, usable items and keys from various places like drops, completing zones, etc. You can't get character slots from drops, funnily enough, but I don't think it'll be a massive grindfest if you wait a little while after launch to buy gems.

You don't have to buy the gems, you don't have to sell the gems, they're merely for convenience.

Gold is gained from drops, quest/event rewards and WvW "drops" as well as selling items to vendors. It buys you gear (typically basic version for every 5 levels), some crafting materials, some buffs like baseline food buffs, repairs and other "common" things. It's also the only currency accepted on auction house.

Karma is gained from completing PvE events. It buys you various items similar to those bought by gold from special vendors spread across the world. In most cases quest givers marked with a heart symbol on the map will become karma item sellers once their quest is complete selling a small selection of items for karma.

Glory is gained from sPvP and buys you various sPvP related rewards such as sPvP gear, glory boosts, tournament tickets and so on.

Gems are gained by purchasing them for hard currency at game's real money store. Gems can be spent on various boosts like item drop and exp boosts as well as some cosmetic items like different outfits. It can also be spent to buy some special crafting and repair related items not available through other means (other then mystic chest lottery). It also sells lottery items (mystic keys) needed to open special mystic chests that randomly drop in PvE (and possibly WvW?). Keys are limited availability rewards for special events like full zone completions and meeting certain milestones in personal story, and do not appear to exist as drops in the game, so you'll either spend gems to buy them, or throw a whole bunch of mystic chests away (they are fairly common drops).

Gold and gem conversion has been unveiled in BWE3 and works like this:
    Gems can be sold to the Arenanet's special shop at fixed rate buy gold or gold can be sold to the same shop to buy gems at a predetermined rate set by arenanet. The rate will fluctuate according to several factors, one (the only one publicized so far) of which is recent gold<>gems transaction numbers. So you can buy gold from the cash shop with two step procedure (buy gems for hard currency, sell gems back to arenanet's shop for gold at current rate).

I got a kind of related question. Is there a place where can I look at the store if the game is closed, if possible?
    Last edited by iCandy; 2012-08-04 at 03:42 PM.

Derp, I didn't even think about the wiki. Ty

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, no worries

The Wiki is not complete by any means, it still needs lots of pics, links and info.
    Valar morghulis