Thread: add ons in gw2

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ...
2
10
11
12
13
14
22
... LastLast
  1. #221
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Which is irrelevant in GW2 since there is no Rage timer mechanic.
    There is a kind of rage timer. Your life bar.

    As I said earlier, the damage output & conditions in serious PVE exceed the ability to deal with them. Can not win a battle of attrition in the majority of cases. You must burn targets with the same degree of importance and efficacy as damage avoidance, support and CC application.

  2. #222
    Remember that combat in GW2 is designed to fill the space in other MMOs where things go wrong, as that's always the most fun and engaging (assuming your RL doesn't just call for a wipe and repeat).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  3. #223
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,186
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    You're assuming that people like me measure DPS and only DPS. You're so focused on DPS, when measuring DPS barely factors into it at all. That's why I think the way I do about you. There is no single metric for performance. Not in GW2, and also not in WoW. Never has been, never will, and those that believe otherwise are the ones the elitists talk about with such condescension.

    You're also assuming that "combat meter" is "How much DPS are you doing?" when it encompasses every possible measurable piece of information from combat.
    actually you seam obsessed with dps from your earlier posts, my position has always been that there are many more important things to measure.

    I'm also aware a dps meter measures more than dps, if it makes you feel better subsitute hps, tps, Idps, int, shi, B/Dut, or whatever you want for dps...its stil the same point.

  4. #224
    Why I don't like addon:
    1. My dps meter says your dps is low so I'll have to kick you. [Reply] Yeah that's cause I was running out of the fire.
    2. You just die cause you didn't run out of the fire why didn't you. [reply] I think my DBM is not working.
    3. I just die why didn't I get any heal. [Reply] My Healbot is not working.

  5. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by Zem View Post
    Why I don't like addon:
    1. My dps meter says your dps is low so I'll have to kick you. [Reply] Yeah that's cause I was running out of the fire.
    2. You just die cause you didn't run out of the fire why didn't you. [reply] I think my DBM is not working.
    3. I just die why didn't I get any heal. [Reply] My Healbot is not working.
    do you raid/party with people who would be considered remedial?

    in any self respecting raiding guild if your dps is low "running out of the fire" is not an excuse, because you can "run out of fire" and still pull world ranking numbers. no healer uses healbot anymore lol. also you dont need dbm anymore because of blizzards own announcements and everything is pretty damn obvious :') ... "Deathwing is about to roll"

  6. #226
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    There's really no need for Add-Ons in Guild Wars 2.
    Not having played it yet, nor having looked alot into class/fight mechanics, I still doubt this. Notwithstanding the fact that people shouldn't flex their epeen with high dps, or really 'play the UI', responding to an addon calling out things instead of responding to something that happens in the game world. I guess there may still be a bunch of things to track (buffs/debuffs/cooldowns) and unless ANet provides a very strong way for tracking them (preferably rather customisable), people will feel the need to have addons help them focus on the important information. And if there isn't enough going on to need a smooth, informative UI, I guess it'd be rather boring.

    And to the whole 'play the game, not the UI', I'd like to say this: A smooth, customised UI helps play the game. Different people have different tastes/strong points/weaknesses, different professions require different approaches, different screensizes need different setups. (Bigger screens need important things close to the center, smaller need their screens not be too cluttered and can better have such things at the sides.) The level of custamisation you can reach using addons is immense.

    Now ofcourse, it's not impossible for any game developer to make a proper UI themselves.

  7. #227
    Quote Originally Posted by lvlark View Post
    Not having played it yet, nor having looked alot into class/fight mechanics, I still doubt this. Notwithstanding the fact that people shouldn't flex their epeen with high dps, or really 'play the UI', responding to an addon calling out things instead of responding to something that happens in the game world. I guess there may still be a bunch of things to track (buffs/debuffs/cooldowns) and unless ANet provides a very strong way for tracking them (preferably rather customisable), people will feel the need to have addons help them focus on the important information. And if there isn't enough going on to need a smooth, informative UI, I guess it'd be rather boring.

    And to the whole 'play the game, not the UI', I'd like to say this: A smooth, customised UI helps play the game. Different people have different tastes/strong points/weaknesses, different professions require different approaches, different screensizes need different setups. (Bigger screens need important things close to the center, smaller need their screens not be too cluttered and can better have such things at the sides.) The level of custamisation you can reach using addons is immense.

    Now ofcourse, it's not impossible for any game developer to make a proper UI themselves.
    Considering all abilities that apply a buff or debuff of a given type apply the same debuff (compare the "deal 10% less damage" debuff in WoW, which all tanks provide, but all apply a different debuff that does the exact same thing), then the big issue is identifying which debuff is which - which can take some time, but that's part of the learning curve, and someone has already created a minigame online (one of the threads in the last few days has a link to it) to practice learning and identifying them (both boons and conditions).

    The only thing that should be done to the UI is the ability to move and resize (independently) the UI components (you can, however, scale the UI).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  8. #228
    Quote Originally Posted by lvlark View Post
    Not having played it yet, nor having looked alot into class/fight mechanics, I still doubt this. Notwithstanding the fact that people shouldn't flex their epeen with high dps, or really 'play the UI', responding to an addon calling out things instead of responding to something that happens in the game world. I guess there may still be a bunch of things to track (buffs/debuffs/cooldowns) and unless ANet provides a very strong way for tracking them (preferably rather customisable), people will feel the need to have addons help them focus on the important information. And if there isn't enough going on to need a smooth, informative UI, I guess it'd be rather boring.

    And to the whole 'play the game, not the UI', I'd like to say this: A smooth, customised UI helps play the game. Different people have different tastes/strong points/weaknesses, different professions require different approaches, different screensizes need different setups. (Bigger screens need important things close to the center, smaller need their screens not be too cluttered and can better have such things at the sides.) The level of custamisation you can reach using addons is immense.

    Now ofcourse, it's not impossible for any game developer to make a proper UI themselves.
    Well said. Just as a small group of devs cannot anticipate the ingenuity of a large group of players when dealing with encounters and finding loopholes in the mechanics, which then require patches, they also cannot provide a UI to suit all those different players.

    How many people buy a house or car and do absolutely nothing to personalize it?

  9. #229
    Herald of the Titans Jigain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Add-ons are created because they are needed. Think about it. Take ThreatMeter in WoW as example.
    Correction: Addons are created because they are wanted, not needed. Someone somewhere thought "this would be good", and then they made it, or had someone make it for them. The Bejeweled addon for WoW wasn't needed, but it was wanted.

  10. #230
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Correction: Addons are created because they are wanted, not needed. Someone somewhere thought "this would be good", and then they made it, or had someone make it for them. The Bejeweled addon for WoW wasn't needed, but it was wanted.
    I said "Think about it" not "Say nonsense".
    Bejeweled is not an addon, not in the sense we are talking about here. It's only technically an add-on. It's an advertisement from PopCap. No one wanted it.
    And you have no idea how add-on ideas come to life. No one sits there and thinks "I have to create my own add-on. What will it be?".
    As I said, think about it. ThreatMeter was NEEDED. Because DPS couldn't tell how much aggro they had. DamageMeter was NEEDED, because in-game combatlog was impossible to read in a meaningful way. Default raid UI sucked, new UI was NEEDED.

    Of course there are add-ons that are not needed, but wanted for aesthetics purposes and customization. But the first add-ons were needed. And I can even argue that customization is more of a NEED than want for some people, same goes for aesthetics. It may be a major turn off.

  11. #231
    Herald of the Titans Jigain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    I said "Think about it" not "Say nonsense".
    Bejeweled is not an addon, not in the sense we are talking about here. It's only technically an add-on. It's an advertisement from PopCap. No one wanted it.
    And you have no idea how add-on ideas come to life. No one sits there and thinks "I have to create my own add-on. What will it be?".
    As I said, think about it. ThreatMeter was NEEDED. Because DPS couldn't tell how much aggro they had. DamageMeter was NEEDED, because in-game combatlog was impossible to read in a meaningful way. Default raid UI sucked, new UI was NEEDED.

    Of course there are add-ons that are not needed, but wanted for aesthetics purposes and customization. But the first add-ons were needed. And I can even argue that customization is more of a NEED than want for some people, same goes for aesthetics. It may be a major turn off.
    Make up your mind. First you say that they are created because they are needed, then you argue my point that addons are made for convenience and not because they're required to play the game, and then you agree with me that addons aren't made because they're required. And then you go back to saying that the addons are required.

    Here's a page to glance at if you still want to insist that addons are created because they are needed:
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/category/minigames

    And that's just an example.

    The truth of the matter is that addons have never been required. Never. I was able to play WoW fine without them, as did many others. The choice to use addons, and to make them, are entirely convenience-based. ThreatMeter, for example, was created because it was a convenience feature. Someone out there thought "hey, sure I can just hold back on my damage when the tank hasn't assured his aggro yet, but if I had a tool to show my threat compared to his threat, I could push the line closer and do more damage." Notice how this is pretty different from "I need to see how close I am to pulling aggro, otherwise this game cannot be played." And that is the difference between want and need; between convenience and requirement.

    PS. Calling different views "nonsense" is nonsense.

  12. #232
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    nonsense.
    If you treat "need" as in "life or death" - we have nothing to talk about here. I treat "need" as in "fun no fun" to play the game. So if something in the game denies me fun - I NEED an add-on to fix that.

    You know nothing of how tanks-aggro-dps worked in vanila - when the first ThreatMeter was created. There were no such thing as "tank has aggro - its fine to go all the way". There were no MD nor ToTT. There were "2 sunders" rule so it was OK to start dpsing without taking aggro from tank right away. And you had to hold your DPS back ALL the time - to not risk it. No fun.

  13. #233
    Herald of the Titans Jigain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    If you treat "need" as in "life or death" - we have nothing to talk about here. I treat "need" as in "fun no fun" to play the game. So if something in the game denies me fun - I NEED an add-on to fix that.

    You know nothing of how tanks-aggro-dps worked in vanila - when the first ThreatMeter was created. There were no such thing as "tank has aggro - its fine to go all the way". There were no MD nor ToTT. There were "2 sunders" rule so it was OK to start dpsing without taking aggro from tank right away. And you had to hold your DPS back ALL the time - to not risk it. No fun.
    I will not participate in pointless pie-tossing; arguments where my counterpart is only interested in being right as opposed to having a proper discussion are more tedious than enjoyable.

    I will say this, however: regardless if you think the definition of the verb "need" doesn't apply because you don't want it to, that still doesn't change the definition of the word. No matter how many times you call the dog's tail a leg, it'll still only have four legs.

  14. #234
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    I will say this, however: regardless if you think the definition of the verb "need" doesn't apply
    It doesn't apply in the sense you are applying it because you do not NEED to play the game. Therefore you can not NEED anything IN the game. Kapish? Even the critical bug fix is not NEEDED.

  15. #235
    Herald of the Titans Jigain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    It doesn't apply in the sense you are applying it because you do not NEED to play the game. Therefore you can not NEED anything IN the game. Kapish? Even the critical bug fix is not NEEDED.
    Thank you for agreeing with me that addons aren't created because they are needed, they're created because they are wanted.

  16. #236
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Thank you for agreeing with me that addons aren't created because they are needed, they're created because they are wanted.
    No they are created because they are needed. You are using the TERM "need" instead of a verb - you are doing it wrong, we are not talking about survival of the species here.

  17. #237
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    No they are created because they are needed. You are using the TERM "need" instead of a verb - you are doing it wrong, we are not talking about survival of the species here.
    Let's put it this way: You "need" addons as much as you "need" to get drunk

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  18. #238
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Let's put it this way: You "need" addons as much as you "need" to get drunk
    You are making the same mistake.

    The more correct way is this: you need add-ons as much as you need a car.

  19. #239
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    You are making the same mistake.

    The more correct way is this: you need add-ons as much as you need a car.
    Actually, I'd say it's more that you need addons as much as you need a Ferrari (or other high-end car, take your pick).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  20. #240
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Actually, I'd say it's more that you need addons as much as you need a Ferrari (or other high-end car, take your pick).
    No, same mistake again. Just a car. A fucking car that gets you from A to B faster than a bus. Nothing fancy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •