Thread: add ons in gw2

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    No game needs it, it adds an aditional feature...not understood why people don't like addons, it gives close to no advantage over people who don't use it. :P
    Addons tend to be the deciding factor if you're invited to a party(raid) or not. And I would like to not see that in GW2. I personally never had this problem but we all know it's there.

For example:
    Omen
    DBM/Bigwigs
    GearScore

Not to mention Anet wants us to play this game the way its intended, without using a crutch(addons) and making sure everyone is on an even playing field. That last part is really important to them. I'm always for mods in PC games, but it's a little different from between and MMORPG and a SPRPG.
    Last edited by iCandy; 2012-08-05 at 02:11 AM.

The only addons I would like to see are those that allow us to customize the UI. Nothing that gives us access to any information we don't already have.

The only addon in WoW that I couldn't live without was Bartender. I hated the default UI.

Deleted
    I haven't felt any need for addons nor have I really missed any ones I use in other games, but I'm sure I eventually will miss some of them...

No game needs it, it adds an aditional feature...not understood why people don't like addons, it gives close to no advantage over people who don't use it. :P
    Yeah, whatever. I didn't do a whole lot of arena in WoW but when I did and I found some of the UI add-ons for that, they were a huge advantage in terms of targeting and what not. Same goes for something like Deadly Boss Mods. Do you need it? No. Is it a huge advantage to have it? Yes.

I don't like add-ons because, at least in WoW, I'd say about 75% of them dumb the game down and streamline things to an extent that Blizzard had to tweak all the content with the assumption people would be using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    Yeah, whatever. I didn't do a whole lot of arena in WoW but when I did and I found some of the UI add-ons for that, they were a huge advantage in terms of targeting and what not. Same goes for something like Deadly Boss Mods. Do you need it? No. Is it a huge advantage to have it? Yes.

I don't like add-ons because, at least in WoW, I'd say about 75% of them dumb the game down and streamline things to an extent that Blizzard had to tweak all the content with the assumption people would be using them.
    Just like what this guy was saying

the only thing I would want to do is move and resize the ui
    I don't know if they do let you do this, I didn't check in the beta.

If I can't its not a big fucking deal
    It's still a great game and honestly no addons means one less thing I need to update every patch or have fuck up and interfere with the game/other addons

Although I will miss stuff like atlas loot, being able to view all drops in instances etc.

Sylvari Necromancer

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yes, but people get really defensive when someone points out something about their game as a downfall or a flaw. Having addons would be a wonderful addition (this coming from someone who doesn't really use them) and it's a shame they're not in.
    Or were just tired of folks bringing up what are to us dead horse topics to beat to death once agian. Particuarly topics that are cut from the cloth of "WoW has X, why dont we add it to GW2?" Frankly many of us love the fact that GW2 isnt trying to copy WoW in all respects and dont really want to see that aspect chiped away at because someone cant live without their addons, their tanks, their healers, or whatever topic comes up today.

Who is John Galt?

Playing WoW with many classes would be a nightmare without a couple addons at least...

The GW2 UI is simple and gives you all esential information, there is no need for addons.

I realy hope that this game will eat baddies alive, i can already see the whining on the official forums demanding nerfs to every other class then the whiners own :P

Hard to imagine a current MMO not having a customizable UI. Add-ons don't concern me but not being able to rearrange/resize the UI elements to my liking is disappointing.

I just wish the UI was as customizable as it was in GW1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    Or were just tired of folks bringing up what are to us dead horse topics to beat to death once agian. Particuarly topics that are cut from the cloth of "WoW has X, why dont we add it to GW2?" Frankly many of us love the fact that GW2 isnt trying to copy WoW in all respects and dont really want to see that aspect chiped away at because someone cant live without their addons, their tanks, their healers, or whatever topic comes up today.
    Hey, I get tired of people trying to turn my WoW rogue into a fury warrior or bring back 2H enhancement or over on my FFXIV boards asking if the game is "playable" yet. People will be people, but that doesn't mean I occupy those cookie cutter threads with my bitterness and exasperated responses. I just let them be.

This may very well be the first time the OP has ever seen a thread about add-ons in GW2 and hey, good for him. His reasons are sound enough, he's not trying to turn the game into a clone of the game-who-shall-not-be-named. Sounds to me like he just wants to track his debuffs and monitor his CDs a little more closely. That's totally and completely acceptable.

Many of us would love to have a tracker for these things but we learned long ago that it's not going to happen, so we deal with it. This guy doesn't seem to know that so let's be adults and fill him in, rather than fight the good fight against people who enjoy aspects of other MMOs, shall we?
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Addons are not needed, however, I could see some movable UI elements making it in at some point to move elements(target/boons/conditions) in places ppl are familiar with. Other than that, I hope they never have addons.

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    Addons tend to be the deciding factor if you're invited to a party(raid) or not. And I would like to not see that in GW2. I personally never had this problem but we all know it's there.
    Never found this myth to be true as a progression raider for close to 12~ years now. We don't even ask for it on our guild apps.

I don't use any addons myself either.

Totally agree. I left WoW a long time ago because there were so many facets of the game I didn't enjoy. Since then I've played Rift and SWTOR and watched as all the WoW refugees come to those games and try to make games that were already very similar to WoW completely like them. It's like they just want WoW with different graphics and backstory.

When I first read about GW2, I went down the list of design features and the things they were doing differently was like a checklist of everything I really can't stand about MMOs. Add-ons are one of those things. So yeah, when I see a thread like this it gets my hackles up. This is a different game. Stop asking why this or that from WoW isn't in the game because this isn't WoW it's Guild Wars 2. If you want to play WoW, last I heard they have a new expansion coming out in Sept. so have at it. There's a whole lot of GW2 fans that are fans BECAUSE GW2 is a complete paradigm shift from WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Speaking of that, here's an interesting memory trainer some guy made on Reddit. It's a game that helps you remember boons and buffs and what they do for GW2.
    Here's a flashcard trainer for GW2 as well.
    Ok, that's actually pretty damned cool lol.

As for addons, have you even bothered playing the game? What are you after, a DPS meter? Seriously? There isn't any need for addons in GW2. Just leave the subject alone. Being able to re-arrange the UI could be useful, if just for aesthetic purposes, but that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Hey, I get tired of people trying to turn my WoW rogue into a fury warrior or bring back 2H enhancement or over on my FFXIV boards asking if the game is "playable" yet. People will be people, but that doesn't mean I occupy those cookie cutter threads with my bitterness and exasperated responses. I just let them be.

This may very well be the first time the OP has ever seen a thread about add-ons in GW2 and hey, good for him. His reasons are sound enough, he's not trying to turn the game into a clone of the game-who-shall-not-be-named. Sounds to me like he just wants to track his debuffs and monitor his CDs a little more closely. That's totally and completely acceptable.

Many of us would love to have a tracker for these things but we learned long ago that it's not going to happen, so we deal with it. This guy doesn't seem to know that so let's be adults and fill him in, rather than fight the good fight against people who enjoy aspects of other MMOs, shall we?
    Actually he didn't even mention debuffs/Cd's all he specifically referred to was displaying the HP of enemies in a numerical format which the game explicitly does not do. And don't think filling in each individual person is necessarily an efficient use of time. All that does is repeat the same tired topic over and over. If we could somehow train the masses to use the search function or at minimum Google the topic before posting whatever spark of brilliance they think they came up with we'd have less forum clutter. Sadly too many people would rather be spoon-fed info instead of spending even a few seconds researching a topic for that to ever happen.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by ptolemy66t View Post
    To add, they said they want the players to play the GAME not the UI, so i doubt it will be enabled later either

Edit: Before someone asks for it

http://www.arena.net/blog/the-golden...f-guild-wars-2
    BEST new yet . I hope they don't change that . Some UI's give an unfair advantage , at least in WoW they did . Everyone should play the same game , the player skill should determine the outcome , not the UI .

It is also without merit to dismiss a feature just because it is in another game and you want your game to be different. I also do not want to see the power creep caused by game-enhancing mods creating a level of player efficiency that forces devs to create more complex encounters. But this does not preclude convenience mods that allow us to customize our UI and therefore game experience to our liking. Part of what makes an MMO fun is being comfortable just being in the world. The UI is how we interact with that world, and just as in real life we like to tweak our surroundings to suit us.

Quote Originally Posted by Vryyce View Post
    Hard to imagine a current MMO not having a customizable UI. Add-ons don't concern me but not being able to rearrange/resize the UI elements to my liking is disappointing.
    This. For all the talk of "play the game, not the UI"--which I'm cool with--there still is a UI. We need it to play the game. It would be nice to be able to organize it to suit our individual style. I'm a bit baffled that a game would be written these days without this consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlovich View Post
    It is also without merit to dismiss a feature just because it is in another game and you want your game to be different. I also do not want to see the power creep caused by game-enhancing mods creating a level of player efficiency that forces devs to create more complex encounters. But this does not preclude convenience mods that allow us to customize our UI and therefore game experience to our liking. Part of what makes an MMO fun is being comfortable just being in the world. The UI is how we interact with that world, and just as in real life we like to tweak our surroundings to suit us.

This. For all the talk of "play the game, not the UI"--which I'm cool with--there still is a UI. We need it to play the game. It would be nice to be able to organize it to suit our individual style. I'm a bit baffled that a game would be written these days without this consideration.
    I do not dismist the feature because I want the game to be different, I dismis it because it has proven in the past to be as much a bane as it is a boon. I'm of the mind that if you give them an inch they will take a mile when it comes to addon design. Moving bits of the UI around, resizing it, possibly even skinning it is fine. you could do most of that out of the box in GW1. While I'm a bit disappointed that the customization options are a bit sparser in GW2 I think that should be added from Anet's end not by opening up the API to moders. We've seen it time and again where what starts out as simple UI tweaks can quickly grow into addons that impact game play to an extent that the devs either have to break the addon or just design around the addon.

Who is John Galt?