Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Warchief Byniri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    East Lansing, Michigan.
    Posts
    2,226

    Anyone else sick of insanity/corruption creating evil characters?

    Arthas is corrupted by Frostmourne.
    Illidan goes mad in TBC.
    Kael'thas goes mad in TBC.
    Garrosh will be corrupted in MoP.
    Deathwing is made insane by the Old Gods.
    Malygos is driven insane by Deathwing.
    The Eredar are corrupted by Sargeras.


    Anyone else tired of the "Oh, he/she is insane/mad/corrupt and therefore evil" routine over and over again?
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

  2. #2
    Mechagnome nachoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado!
    Posts
    558
    how do you know garrosh is corrupted...
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    ..........and Sargeras was corrupted by the seemingly endless evil he fought/witness. Yes, there's a pattern. Seems like the only Evil that is Evil for the sake of being Evil are The Old Gods. Unless the Legion is actually evil. Hmmm, I wonder what the Legion vs The Old Gods would look like?

  5. #5
    Dreadlord Ibbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    868
    Happens all the time in real life, why is it so strange to see it in video game fantasy lore?
    DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional and purely for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of entity, living, dead or in any other state of existence, is purely coincidental. The author cannot and will not be held accountable for such similarities or any other parallels that are imagined and/or drawn by you, the reader, between the above fictional work and real life events.

  6. #6
    Warchief Byniri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    East Lansing, Michigan.
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdLady68 View Post
    ..........and Sargeras was corrupted by the seemingly endless evil he fought/witness. Yes, there's a pattern. Seems like the only Evil that is Evil for the sake of being Evil are The Old Gods. Unless the Legion is actually evil. Hmmm, I wonder what the Legion vs The Old Gods would look like?
    There is an IamA reddit post from a while back by someone claiming to be a former Blizz dev who says that there are some major, MAJOR plot twists and unexpected connections between the Legion and the Old Gods.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

  7. #7
    Herald of the Titans Irisel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Swimming in a fish bowl
    Posts
    2,665
    Azshara is not mad. She will just be a big bad ass bitch.

    Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

  8. #8
    not really, no. I like corruption. I guess that's why I love politics
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

  9. #9
    Herald of the Titans Irisel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Swimming in a fish bowl
    Posts
    2,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    There is an IamA reddit post from a while back by someone claiming to be a former Blizz dev who says that there are some major, MAJOR plot twists and unexpected connections between the Legion and the Old Gods.
    Reddit is worse than Wikipedia. DO NOT TRUST!

    Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

  10. #10
    The Lightbringer leaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    I don't even know anymore.
    Posts
    3,448
    And what would be your suggestion instead?
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

  11. #11
    He wants to villains to love us to death...snu snu style.

  12. #12
    Not really. I know plenty of folks are, but I'm not.

    It's just the theme of WoW. Or a theme.
    --
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Toy Train Set has been temporarily disabled.

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer TEHPALLYTANK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas(I wish it were CO)
    Posts
    3,765
    I like it, the theme is that nothing is inherently evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

  14. #14
    High Overlord Pipboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    185
    I'd like to have a character that's evil because of a lust for revenge, instead of going insane or being corrupted. Somebody that was screwed over by somebody of the Alliance/Horde, and because of that they want to take it out on the whole of said race.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    I'd like to have a character that's evil because of a lust for revenge, instead of going insane or being corrupted. Somebody that was screwed over by somebody of the Alliance/Horde, and because of that they want to take it out on the whole of said race.
    so... corruption by vengeance? You can just be terribly vague and call everything a corruption.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    Is there a term you have for being shown proof and choosing to dismiss it?
    Starting a Monk Blog; Celestial Fists: http://celestialfists.blogspot.com/
    Called Garrosh as end boss: 10/28/2011

  16. #16
    I'm kind of bored with the corruption thing in wow, we never seem to fight anyone for a reason other than "they're corrupt, why does this happen every other week to someone important?" why can't we have someone who is evil for the right(in their eyes) reasons? they always have to have fallen from good, never having simply gone slightly too far in trying to protect something, or simply being evil because it gets the job done. no, they always have to have been some paragon of virtue, then the old gods/sargeras/the sha poked them and said hi, go murder everyone you've ever known because we said so, and then they do... just like every single example of evil they've ever fought... starting to think the "villains" in wow are just like the kids in the special classes from the real world.

  17. #17
    Illidan isn't mad. He is scared that the wrath of Kil'jaeden will fall on him at any moment, so he is building his forces by any means necessary in order to fight back for as long as he can.
    Kael didn't really go mad. He was recruited by Kil'jaeden, who offered more power than Illidan could provide. Power to feed his addiction to arcane magics many times over.
    Garrosh is not going to be corrupted by anything but his own quest for power in an attempt step out of the shadow of his father.
    Malygos is not driven mad by Deathwing, but by the increasing number of magic users on Azeroth. He sees them as potential gateways for the Burning Legion, as the Highbourne were in War of the Ancients.

    Arthas is the only one I think you have a real claim on. He does a complete 180 because of Frostmourne and the connection to Nerzhul.

    People get corrupted in quests for power. It's almost completely unavoidable. Without it, we wouldn't have villains really. The reasons for their quest for power is the interesting part to me.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer TEHPALLYTANK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas(I wish it were CO)
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    I'm kind of bored with the corruption thing in wow, we never seem to fight anyone for a reason other than "they're corrupt, why does this happen every other week to someone important?" why can't we have someone who is evil for the right(in their eyes) reasons? they always have to have fallen from good, never having simply gone slightly too far in trying to protect something, or simply being evil because it gets the job done. no, they always have to have been some paragon of virtue, then the old gods/sargeras/the sha poked them and said hi, go murder everyone you've ever known because we said so, and then they do... just like every single example of evil they've ever fought... starting to think the "villains" in wow are just like the kids in the special classes from the real world.
    Arthas, he wasn't perfect. Go read the book Arthas and try and tell me he was a paragon of virtue.
    Kael'thas, he didn't believe he was wrong in his quest for power because his people were dying.
    Kel'thuzard simply wanted power.
    Those three are major villians I could think of off the top of my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by grisset View Post
    Illidan isn't mad. He is scared that the wrath of Kil'jaeden will fall on him at any moment, so he is building his forces by any means necessary in order to fight back for as long as he can.
    he was insane. as said in-game by malfurion:

    Malfurion Stormrage says: Cenarius fights at my side. Illidan sits atop his throne in Outland – brooding. I'm afraid that the loss to Arthas proved to be his breaking point. Madness has embraced him, Remulos. He replays the events in his mind a thousand times per day, but in his mind, he is the victor and Arthas is utterly defeated. He is too far gone, old friend. I fear that the time may soon come that our bond is tested and it will not be as it was at the Well in Zin-Azshari.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

  20. #20
    The Lightbringer Pud'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Posts
    2,998
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdLady68 View Post
    ..........and Sargeras was corrupted by the seemingly endless evil he fought/witness. Yes, there's a pattern. Seems like the only Evil that is Evil for the sake of being Evil are The Old Gods. Unless the Legion is actually evil. Hmmm, I wonder what the Legion vs The Old Gods would look like?
    I don't think Sargeras truly became corrupted in the vein that Warcraft typically goes for. In terms of semantics, when it was stated that Sargeras became corrupted from all the fighting, it was more so his ideology and views that became "corrupted" due being disillusioned with the Titanic philosophy of order, and less so evil physically actually corrupting his being.

    Old Gods actions are motivated by self-preservation and just all around being pure-chaotic beings with no set purposes or goals. They care not for each other or either the Titans and the Burning Legion. They're content with just controlling and destroying anything within their grasp as they see fit.

    The Burning Legion is motivated in their goals in that their actions are intended to further spread chaos in their view of "order", which brings them into direct confrontation with the Titans and their view of order.

    Both the Legion and the Old Gods are ultimately self serving and controlling in their behaviors. But the main difference between the two groups is -

    Burning Legion = Organized chaos
    Old Gods = Pure/Unrestrained chaos

    Whether chaos = evil, is a subjective view. Although from our Western world view (and indeed the view of Blizzard it seems), it does seems like evil = chaos.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •