Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    o.O

So you're saying that if resources are found (say oil, or gold) people will just let it chill there because "it's hard to get to"? Fuck no. You can bet people will start working on it the next day and the scientific breakthroughs WILL move into the public sector fairly quickly, if only because a project that large will need more funding than "just throw money at it".
    They wont find oil there. Oil is made through organic materials breaking down over millions of years and since there is nothing alive on mars to die and break down, there is no oil

---------- Post added 2012-08-05 at 10:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    You'd get private interest in it. Billions in investment. We'd get huge advances in engineering that improve safety and ease of interplanetary transport.

Where there are natural resources, there are dollars willing to be invested.

Gold costs what now? $1600/oz?

If we got the cost of going to Mars down to $1 billion then returning a standard space shuttle payload (50000 lbs) of gold would pay for the trip. Increase carrying capacity or reduce cost further and holy balls fuck yes.
    You also dont just land on Mars, load up the gold bars and fly away. You would have to somehow get billions of tons of mining equipment up there to mine it as well as a workforce of people to run the mine.

At least it's different news than nothing but Olympics... Gonna be nice to see some potential progression in the outer space department. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    They wont find oil there. Oil is made through organic materials breaking down over millions of years and since there is nothing alive on mars to die and break down, there is no oil
    Which is a good reason to search for previous life, eh?

Also, abiogenic oil isn't unproven. Nor proven, of course.

Abiogenic oil is a thing

Bacteria have been shown to generate oil. Mars definitely had bacteria living there. Oil is a real possibility. Valuable minerals aren't just possible but probable.

You also dont just land on Mars, load up the gold bars and fly away. You would have to somehow get billions of tons of mining equipment up there to mine it as well as a workforce of people to run the mine.
    Oh of course. But the point is that even with current day gold prices and transport capabilities, a $1 billion trip would pay for itself with a $160 million profit. I'm in no way saying we're there... I'm saying it's well within the realm of possibility to get there in our lifetime.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the result of a society that praises high school athletes, but if you're really good at chemistry people call you a loser and a nerd.

We don't reward people for being intelligent, rather its quite the opposite.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Sure, landing on mars is a technological marvel, but it is also a colossal waste of money.
    Except for all the technological advances, the scientific insight, the economic activity, and the sheer coolness that it generates. I mean seriously. Do you even know how much it'd cost?

10+ Year Old Account
    Please, people care about what they want to care. There's no need to insult those who are paying attention to the Olympics. Not even friends of mine with actual PhDs in science or money to invest are that arrogant or care THAT much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really interesting stuff, love the space!

For me this is as significant as the olympics, and as insignificant as the olympics. You shouldn't get worried about people not sharing your interests or priorities, that is a very selfish and self-centered expectation.
    I liek fysix

Quote Originally Posted by goki View Post
    For me this is as significant as the olympics, and as insignificant as the olympics. You shouldn't get worried about people not sharing your interests or priorities, that is a very selfish and self-centered expectation.
    That statement actually comes off as a little self centered. Or, rather just promoting being self centered.
    On one hand, we've got something that may help push for improving the quality of life for humans in general, anywhere between finding that we've got a relatively close pile of natural resources that put little to no risk to our planet to acquire to finding that with a bit of work we've got ourselves a second home. Worst case scenario, we've walked away with improved knowledge of the universe and improved technology for further exploration.
    On the other hand, we've got what amounts to little more than an international dick measuring contest that entertains some people for a short period of time every few years at the expense the well being of the people in the area that lingers on for far longer than the games themselves.

so what exactly would finding gold on mars help us again?

I mean, other than simply lower the gold price on earth. Because last I checked there is no lack of gold and nobody needs it to survive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Landale View Post
    That statement actually comes off as a little self centered. Or, rather just promoting being self centered.
    On one hand, we've got something that may help push for improving the quality of life for humans in general, anywhere between finding that we've got a relatively close pile of natural resources that put little to no risk to our planet to acquire to finding that with a bit of work we've got ourselves a second home. Worst case scenario, we've walked away with improved knowledge of the universe and improved technology for further exploration.
    On the other hand, we've got what amounts to little more than an international dick measuring contest that entertains some people for a short period of time every few years at the expense the well being of the people in the area that lingers on for far longer than the games themselves.
    Yawn. You are making advances in space participate in a dick measuring contest with the Olympics. I don't understand why you must pigeon hole both events into a dichotomy. Why the need to put the Olympics down?
    Last edited by eriseis; 2012-08-05 at 04:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray View Post

I mean, other than simply lower the gold price on earth. Because last I checked there is no lack of gold and nobody needs it to survive.
    Well, gold equals wealth. With wealth you can buy more survival-related things.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    I don't know wich one I care less, Olympics or Mars...

I don't know how you guys got drawn into this whole gold on Mars thing. Of all the things that we could possibly do up there, gold digging is pretty far down the list.

I honestly don't see why you care? Really, as long as there is a way for you to get the information you want from it why does it matter? Are you really so concerned that people who have no interest in it, have no interest in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray View Post

Gold does have several applications beyond just looking pretty. And while we might not need it to survive, our methods of acquiring it run the risk of death to the entire area, to the point where it's been compared to Chernobyl. If we could get gold where these hazards only prove to be a risk to the people mining, or better yet just use machines to get it, that would help with survival.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold#Applications
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold#Pollution
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Ba..._cyanide_spill

But, really, gold isn't the biggest potential thing to be looking for. Iron, for example, would be something we'd want to find.

That thing weights like a small car. If they can drop a small car onto another planet without breaking it, think what else can we send there. What about people? We could first drop down "houses". Maybe produce livable conditions somewhere.

Do you think permanent mars colony could be possible? There surely are people who could be interested in such attempt even, if it means you probably are not ever getting back.

I find this very interesting even, if I dont probably live long enough to see any of it.

I have seen things land on Mars before. Get a man there and I will watch. But robots and machines are just like.. wow.. this again. Sure I will read the article when it actually collects some data but the landing isn't have amazing of a feat to me anymore.

Deleted
    Very intriguing! It's a shame that the mainstream media isn't giving this the coverage it deserves, though I'm sure if something substantial is found then it will spark a lot of discussion.