Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Chevy Cruze, hands down one of the best lloking and most gas efficient cars today. That is that the car is still gas only, no electric or hybrid type things.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strudle View Post
    Should look into the Subaru WRX lineup's

Their around mid 20k's (USD) Decent mileage (mid 20s), easy to maintain, amazing in the snow, cool looking, great performance, Easy to work on, easily modified, safe, and they hold their value very well.
    This, or a Subaru Outback if you want something a little more offroady. I had a 2004 WRX and currently own a 2012 STI. Good cars. The Outback will be a little bit bigger than the Impreza lineup.

Get a used, low-mileage, Pontiac G8 GT. One of the best cars I've ever driven. Build quality, handling, comfort, all top notch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargrazor View Post
    My 2003 Elantra needs replacing and I am looking for some intelligent opinions on what car you think would be good for me.

I don't do a lot of driving. Probably no more than 15k annually. I'm single and live out in the Canadian Country (Southern Ontario). I have a budget of around 28k. I can go higher but it needs to be something I really like. I don't drive stick so it has to be automatic. I like speed. I like good handling. I'm not too worried about gas mileage. Needs to have some utility/practicality.

Given this information what do you think makes the most sense for me to consider? My brother thinks I should wait for the 2013 Santa Fe but I'm worried it might be too big for just a single guy like myself. It will also be very expensive and hard to haggle the price down since it is a new model. What else do you think I should look at? Thanks for your help!
    In terms of the same size of vehicle as your Elantra, I really really like the Ford Focus, and you can get a really really good one for the price point you mention.

They look nice, drive well, have great mileage, and the best Bluetooth audio system I've seen.

Last edited by Reeve; 2012-08-06 at 03:40 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

You should get a subaru outback or legacy. End of thread.

But seriously. Good handling, good reputation amongst car people, good dependability, all wheel drive in case of inclement weather (and handling) and in your price range. Do it.

To all the people suggesting the OP buy all these rally cars, note that the OP is in Canada.

A brand new Subaru WRX in Canada starts at 32 grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Strudle View Post
    Should look into the Subaru WRX lineup's

Their around mid 20k's (USD) Decent mileage (mid 20s), easy to maintain, amazing in the snow, cool looking, great performance, Easy to work on, easily modified, safe, and they hold their value very well.
    I think the impreza wrx is a great car. Infact I wanted one years ago before I even owned a car. Problem is I don't think it comes in auto and it is crazy expensive in Canada.

---------- Post added 2012-08-06 at 12:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    In terms of the same size of vehicle as your Elantra, I really really like the Ford Focus, and you can get a really really good one for the price point you mention.

They look nice, drive well, have great mileage, and the best Bluetooth audio system I've seen.

I was at the Ford dealer a few weeks ago and wasn't too impressed when I saw the Focus in person. I test drove the new escape (which is based on the same platform) and honestly the handling was pretty sub-par. Good power though lol...

I was at the Ford dealer a few weeks ago and wasn't too impressed when I saw the Focus in person. I test drove the new escape (which is based on the same platform) and honestly the handling was pretty sub-par. Good power though lol...
    What, is there a Slalom on their test drive route?

10+ Year Old Account
    I once saw someone riding a scooter, wearing goggles and a scarf. It was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.

You should do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always been a fan of Honda Accords and Civics. They're functional and can be sporty.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeglo View Post
    I've always been a fan of Honda Accords and Civics. They're functional and can be sporty.
    I think the civic looks like a jelly bean. And the accord doesn't do much for me either.

---------- Post added 2012-08-06 at 12:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    What, is there a Slalom on their test drive route?
    It was the electronic steering. It just didn't seem weight right. I test drove the Mazda CX5 right after and there was a world of difference. It was way smoother.

Man the golf gti is a BOMB, get it!

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think the impreza wrx is a great car. Infact I wanted one years ago before I even owned a car. Problem is I don't think it comes in auto and it is crazy expensive in Canada.
    The STI is a manual only, but you can get a WRX, Impreza, or Outback in an auto. As for price, I wouldn't say that you have to get a brand new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Peep View Post
    Man the golf gti is a BOMB, get it!
    it has enough space for a single man or a couple, it has a 211hp engine wich is fantastic combined with the dsg, and is reliable, pretty. the state of art of the HOT HATCHBACK segment

Ya I am leaning towards the Golf GTI at moment. If I can get one at the right price with the colour I want (charcoal grey).

Just found one in my area. Waiting for the dealer to get back to me

http://parkwayautotrade.autotrader.c...ce766ed9fc.htm
    Last edited by Stargrazor; 2012-08-06 at 06:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would definately stick with some German engineering, however I would recommend a BMW. Every VW owner I know is usually complaining about the repairs on them. You can get a used 3 seriers for a pretty good deal since the e92 platform will be done soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Paloro View Post
    I would definately stick with some German engineering, however I would recommend a BMW. Every VW owner I know is usually complaining about the repairs on them. You can get a used 3 seriers for a pretty good deal since the e92 platform will be done soon.
    Ya my brother use to have a passat until he had major transmission problems. Dealer tried to screw him over...all in all it was a very bad experience for not just my brother but my grandpa as well since he was trying to help my brother save some money.

The 3 series looks good. Having problems finding one in my price range with lower mileage though locally.

10+ Year Old Account

---------- Post added 2012-08-06 at 12:27 PM ----------

Well the Escape is an SUV after all, and therefore would probably handle completely different on the same platform. I've been very impressed with the handling of my focus, and it blows my old 2004 Mazda 3 out of the water. It was also much better than the 2012 Mazda 3 I was renting the other day in California.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    i drive a hyundai i30 estate, wonderful car, good on the mpg and a shed load of space for all my kit =)

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    i drive a hyundai i30 estate, wonderful car, good on the mpg and a shed load of space for all my kit =)
    Your i30 is like the Elantra GT with have in Canada. It is one of my top pics as well since I can save an extra $1000 through their loyalty incentive and I think they will give me more for trading in my current elantra. The question is do I want to sacrifice the fun factor that I can get with say a GTI so I can save some extra cash... I go back and forth constantly. The thing is I don't do a ton of driving. I'm a web designer so I spend lots of time on my computer. Maybe the elantra makes more sense for me...