Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Valor of the Ancients, Jaina Audio, Blue Posts, Setup of the Month, The Daily Blink

Inferno Booster Pack Giveaway, Demon Hunter Inferno Guide, Diablo 3 Arcade, and Demon Hunter Sculpture

Valor of the Ancients Buff
    Mists of Pandaria is going to make it easier for you to earn Valor points on your alts once your main character is capped for the week. The Valor of the Ancients buff increases the Valor earned on all of your characters on a realm by 50%, after one character has capped for the week. This comes along with another change to Valor points that limits the amount you may hold at any time to 3,000 per character.

Jaina Audio for Theramore Event
    One of the recent beta patches added some more audio for Jaina during the Theramore event. If you haven't already listed to the previous audio, listen to it first! See the long standing thread about Jaina in the Mists of Pandaria forum if you are interested in more speculation and discussion of the lore!

Beta Class Balance Analysis
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Warlock (Forums)
    There is some major bug going on with Fel Flame and Corruption & UA. Tagging a target with Fel Flame seems to cause Corruption & UA to over double in damage.
    Warlock DoTs are incorrectly increasing their damage. This is a bug, and will be fixed in the next build.

Could a blue poster please confirm/deny this bug, or if it's intended? It looks like the 50% extra damage DOTs aren't benefiting from Spell Power buffs. It says 50% of normal periodic damage in the tool tip, so if this is intended, it's a pretty hard nerf from the original MG effect.
    This was the aforementioned bug with Fel Flame approximately doubling the damage of Corruption, which was unintended (and doesn’t apply to the extra ticks granted by MG). For doing target dummy and theorycrafting testing, it’s probably best for you to not use Fel Flame as Affliction (unfortunately, Demonology has no such way to avoid extending Corruption). This bug has nothing to do with spellpower.

We understand that this bug is significantly skewing impressions of the Warlock specs, and hope to have a new build up to fix this soon.

Hunter (Forums)
    Glaive Toss incurs a 1.5s global cooldown, unlike the 1s incurred by any other direct damage hunter ability. Is this intended?
    I've noticed and fixed that yesterday, actually. Fixed for the next build.

Shaman (Forums)
    So, if I am reading this correctly, on targets below 35% HP, each Chain Heal jump should have a 50% change to proc Earthliving, and each Healing Rain tick should have a 30% chance to proc Earthliving? Is this correct, or was the datamined change to Earhliving Weapon actually the removal of the 80% increased proc chance on Chain Heal and Healing Rain?
    This is correct.

Is there any chance the developers could enlighten us as to Healing Rain's chance to proc Earthliving Weapon? It seems as though Chain Heal's is 0.2 x 0.25 = 0.05 (i.e. the chance is reduced by the maximum number of targets). Healing Rain is 0.2 x ??? = ???.

Either number will help me immensely! I am getting anywhere from 5.3 - 8% chance when testing it myself, and I just can't make these numbers reconcile with anything logical like "number of targets in the healing rain" or "number of targets at which the DR cap begins to apply". I'm interested in the proc chance when we are *above* 35% health. From there I can work out the rest. Thanks!

Earthliving has a 20% base chance to proc, and an additional 80% (additive, total of 100%) if the target was below 35% HP when the triggering heal landed. After that, the chance is multiplied by 0.3 for Healing Rain, and 0.5 for Chain Heal.

For example, a chain heal on a healthy target has a 10% chance to trigger Earthliving. A Healing Rain tick on a healthy target has a 6% chance to trigger Earthliving.

Mage (Forums)
    Here’s another bit of info I want to pass on sooner rather than waiting for a new build to get to you all, about Arcane Mages.

One of the defining characteristics of Arcane Mages has been that they can trade more mana for more damage, at a decreasing efficiency. In other words, they can play conservative, and use their mana as frugally as possible in order to maximize sustained damage. Or, they can play aggressively and increase their DPS now, in exchange for lower sustained damage over the course of the whole fight.

Arcane’s sustained damage is about where we want it (as well as Fire and Frost), barring some minor tweaks perhaps. But, they’re currently playing very high on their Arcane Blast stacks. The goal is to have their rotations change significantly based on which level 90 talent they pick. An Arcane Mage with Invocation should play very aggressively and frequently stop to recharge their batteries. An Arcane Mage with Rune of Power should generally play rather conservative, but stay at relatively high mana to maximize Mana Adept. And with Incanter’s Ward, an Arcane Mage should generally play the traditional mix of conserve/burn/evocate.

What we’re actually seeing are all three styles playing much more aggressively than we’re aiming for. There’s effectively a ceiling of just how much you can convert more mana into more damage. Invokers are playing so aggressively that they never drop their Arcane Charges at all, Rune users are staying at a 4 stack for a majority of the time, and Incanters are able to play more aggressively during their conserve phases and burn longer.

In order to try to solve this, we decided to try raising the ceiling. So, in the next beta build, you’ll find the max Arcane Charges has been raised from 4 to 6, and the damage increase per stack is back up to 25% from 20%. I’d like to emphasize that the goal of these changes are to create the gameplay flexibility that we’re hoping for there to be with Arcane, not to change Arcane’s overall DPS. There will likely need to be additional changes after this to readjust their damage back to where we want it. Feedback about how it feels, and theorycrafting analyzing the effects this has on them are especially appreciated.

Death Knight (Forums)
    Also, a little tidbit for DKs who kept reading through all that Mage stuff: Blood Tap is back off the GCD in the next build.

Doing LFR I realized that my bloodworms were doing about 35% of my healing done (compared to live, where it does less than ~5%.). I was also competing against healers on healing done. (I was averaging out to 40k HPS on the stone guards, compared to other healers who are just a bit higher.) Is this intended?
    Nope, it wasn't intended. Bloodworms were getting significantly more health (and therefore healing) from pet scaling than intended. For theorycrafters, they dropped from 25% to 6% of the Death Knight’s max health.

Thanks for letting us know, this has been fixed for the next build.

Blue Posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Subscriber Losses
    A very clear drop happened after Diablo was released. I'm confident Mists will be incredibly strong. (Twitter)

Monk Leveling Speed Benefits
    Any word on the faq on Scroll of Resurrection and Recruit a Friend guidelines for monks?
    We're still working on gathering a few remaining details. We'll have more info for you... next week, maybe? Hopefully! (Twitter)

Mists of Pandaria Collector's Edition
    If I purchase the MoP CE, will I get the mount and pet on all my accts, or just the one that's a CE?
    It applies to all licenses attached to your Battle.net account.

So if you have 2 wow accts, you get the mount and pet on both? Even if you onky make one a CE?
    That's how it should work as long as they're all on the same Battle.net account. (Twitter)

Computers - Setup of the Month (by chaud)
    Each month or every 2 months, depending on the hardware evolutions, the lovely chaud will work on a couple of hardware setups for those of you who are thinking of upgrading their computer!

This month
    Hard drive prices are slowly declining, but are still above the pre-flood prices, so now is still a good time to buy a SSD. The current SSD prices are still slowly moving downward, with most under $1 per gigabyte now. A few sales have even gone under 50 cents per gigabyte, so look for something on sale!

Unless you are doing a lot of video rendering or something that is similarly multithreaded, you do not need the 3770K and should spend that money elsewhere.

Make sure to keep your AMD and Nvidia drivers up to date.

Don't hesitate to post any feedback in the comments of that news post, and don't forget to visit the Computer Forum for any extra questions! If you are interested in Folding@home, take a look in our team's thread.

Peripherals/Monitors
    ComponentPuppy Dolphin
    MonitorAcer V223W EJBD 22-Inch Widescreen - $138ASUS VW246H 24-Inch Widescreen - $190
    KeyboardLogitech Media Keyboard K200 - $18Cyborg V.5 - $49
    MouseLogitech G400 - $34Razer Deathadder - $42
    SpeakersLogitech S220 2.1 Speaker System - $23Logitech Z313 Speaker System - $40
    ComponentNarwhal Unicorn
    MonitorASUS VE276Q 27-Inch - $254HP ZR2440W 24-inch (IPS Panel) - $363
    KeyboardLogitech G110 - $52Razer BlackWidow (Backlit)- $70 ($104)
    MouseLogitech G500 - $54Razer Naga (Buttons on the Side) - $72
    SpeakersLogitech Z323 2.1 Speaker System - $60Logitech Speaker System Z523 - $70

Puppy and Dolphin
    Overclocked Puppy will outperform Dolphin when multiple threads are in use (Not WoW) and come close in most other cases.
    Mix and match anything but the CPU/Motherboard combo between Puppy and Dolphin. Pick one of the two CPU/Motherboard combos.
    Mix and match anything between Dolphin and Narwhal.
    ComponentPuppy Dolphin
    CaseNZXT GAMMA Classic - $40NZXT GAMMA Classic - $40
    Power SupplyCorsair CX500 V2 - $54XFX Core Edition PRO 550W - $64
    CPUAMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition- $110Intel i3-2120 - $122
    HeatsinkCooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - $26Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $32
    MotherboardASUS M5A97 AM3+ 970 - $95Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H - $120
    Memory4GB PNY Optima DDR3 10600 - $258GB G.Skill DDR3 12800 - $55
    Graphics CardXFX 7770 - $105XFX 6870 or EVGA GTX 560 - $137/ $146
    Hard DriveWestern Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - $68Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - $100
    DVDAsus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $20Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $20
    Total$543$695

Narwhal and Unicorn
    All of these parts can be mixed and matched to create a build between Narwhal and Unicorn. SSDs are always optional.
    ComponentNarwhal Unicorn
    CaseCooler Master HAF 912 - $60Cooler Master HAF932 - $154
    Power SupplyCorsair 650TX V2 - $90Corsair 750HX - $156
    CPUIntel i5-3570K - $220Intel i7-3770K - $330
    HeatsinkThermaltake Frio - $60Noctua 6 NH-D14 - $85
    MotherboardASUS P8Z77-V LK - $146ASUS P8Z77-V - $190
    Memory8GB G.Skill DDR3 12800 - $568GB G.Skill DDR3 12800 - $56
    Graphics CardASUS 7850 DirectCU II - $260XFX 7970 Black Edition OR EVGA GTX 670 FTW - $430 / $430
    Hard DriveWestern Digital 1TB Caviar Black - $100Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black - $100
    SSDCrucial 128 GB m4 (Review) - $105
    OR
    Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB - $129
    SAMSUNG 830 128GB (Review) - $99
    OR
    OCZ 120 GB Vertex 3 (Review) - $95
    DVDAsus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $20Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $20
    Total$1012 - $1141$1521 - $1620

The Daily Blink
    The Daily Blink talks about the recent subscriber number releases.

How much do I not care? Last night I was looking for the remote control, and found 300,000 subscribers in the couch cushions.
    Last edited by chaud; 2012-08-05 at 07:38 PM.

Deleted
    The Daily Blink > all ^^

Deleted
    inb4 whine about Valor of the Ancients Buff.
    Last edited by mmoc4da348c949; 2012-08-05 at 07:42 PM.

Kellyc, I'll be the first to whine about the valor buff.

It says "on this realm". Totally not helpful for me since the two characters I care about are on different servers.

"Monk Leveling Speed Benefits
    Any word on the faq on Scroll of Resurrection and Recruit a Friend guidelines for monks?
    We're still working on gathering a few remaining details. We'll have more info for you... next week, maybe? Hopefully!"

Finally.

Daily Blink is usually funny but this one was just in bad taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    TDB wasn't actually remotely amusing this time.

How is it bad taste, its fine for everyone to bash wow but when someone takes a stab at anyone but wow its bad taste?

Deleted
    You know, that daily blink just comes over as bitchy rather than funny.

Wait, did Jaina say something about being Rhonin's successor? Does that mean something happened to him? Knaack to be raid boss in first major patch of mop?

10+ Year Old Account
    A F2P game caused a subscription based game's subscribers to drop.

Yeah right.

Daily Blink is intended to troll, I doubt they believe a lot of the stuff they put up, some of it is intentionally stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A Day to Remember View Post
    How is it bad taste, its fine for everyone to bash wow but when someone takes a stab at anyone but wow its bad taste?
    100% Correct. Now you know how the internet works. Welcome to circlejerk!

" Orgrimmar will drown"

yay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post

Yeah right.
    You mean the game that isn't F2P yet? The one that has been and still will require subscription until they make that leap over to F2P?

Yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post

Yeah right.
    Are you referring to D3? Cause if so yes many people dropped their wow subs to play it. The expansion was pretty much done by the time that D3 came out so why not take a wow break and get your Diablo time in between content in wow.

Why you stop posting Dark Legacy and Teh Gladiators comics?

15+ Year Old Account
    So I wonder if they are lowering the cost of any valor armor/gear since they are dropping the ampount of total valor you can have at one time.
    What doesn't kill you, only makes you stranger

10+ Year Old Account
    The comic was pretty crap, to be fair. It'll take a big hit to put fan boys in their place, but I mean, blindly defending against any and all facts is a bit sad.

Fine to bash elitists, not alright to bash another game /giggle