Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Titan

Corsair Vengeance 2000 Headset

Hey all,
    Very recently, my G930 has been showing it's true colours and started to not only have almost no battery capacity, but when "charging", it resyncs every few seconds. The microphone quality has always been absolutely crap, and it took Logitech until December 2011 to release drivers that automatically tried to resync until a connection with the headset was established (as opposed to requiring the user to keep unplugging and reconnecting the dongle and hoping they got lucky). I've decided to replace them on these points, though they have had a great run.

Now, many of the regulars will know i'm a bit of a Corsair nut. I've got the K90 and M60, 2x8GB Vengeance, 4xForce 3 120GB, and an AX1200. I've also got an 800D, though it's not in use at the moment. I've owned many of their products over the years. I've only EVER had a single broken Corsair product, and that was the K90 (which died after about a week but was replaced within 3 days under RMA by the supplier). Not only that, i've been genuinely impressed with the quality and performance of all of them. Not so much for the fact that you should demand quality, but the fact that they're consistent about it. Now, with my G930 going off to the great peripheral basket in the sky, i'm looking at the Vengeance 2000 wireless headset.

I'm extremely wary of ALL wired headsets on the basis that over the years, i've broken 4 due to the wires getting caught under the wheels of my chair. I broke 2 G35's and 2 Speedlink Medusa's because of this. Wireless solves this problem and allows more freedom for me. The Medusa's were my favorite as they had a very soft velvet-like covering as opposed to the vinyl or plastic. They blocked all noise from outside, to the point that it became a hinderence when i was being shouted from downstairs, but that's a minor inconvenience (especially when the bass on them was so brilliant).

I'm no audiophile. I play my music almost exclusively from official YouTube channels, but i do occasionally game and when i do, i want quality sound. I tend to listen to a lot of liquid drum 'n' bass, but there's sometimes electro or such in my playlist. The G930's had the game-audio just about right, but really suffered with bass. The Medusa's used to shake my head with the bass they put out (and without distortion of the sound), so that's a real key for me to set myself on buying these.

Has anyone got any experience with the Corsair V2K's? I'm only reading good things about them so far, but i want to be absolutely sure. They proclaim that the bass has been given special attention so as to not distort the mid and upper ranges. It's got the soft covering similar to the Medusa's, it's wireless like the G930, and it's Corsair. That's 3 points that should say "GO GET 'EM CHAMP!" to me, but i'm really just looking to see if anyone has any experience with them. I realize they're USB, that doesn't bother me.

I absolutely will not consider the V1500's on the basis of them being wired. For some people, it's not a problem, but for me, i don't want to risk it becoming a problem.

I'm particularly interested to know if there's any sync issues with them. With the G930, before the driver fix, i could sometimes spend 30 minutes messing about trying to get a connection. It became extremely frustrating at times. Since the driver fix, it'd automatically attempt to resync and that freed me up to do whatever else i wanted.

I'd also like to know how the mic quality is. The G930 was stuck at tape quality due to "wireless bandwidth constraints", and i've always used a desk mic because of this. I can't seem to find anything specific on it. It's a noise-cancelling condenser mic, and that's a fairly attractive choice too, assuming it's good. Don't get me wrong, i don't imagine it'll be anything near the quality of a proper £300+ condenser, but something that doesn't make me sound like a wartime radio announcer is fine.
    [...]

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    As for the cable, you know there are these cable management things you can run under your desk for them never to be exposed on the floor at all? I'm not saying it should change anything.

Either way, one of the major advantages with HiFi-headphones is that the cable is detachable, so if you ruin it, you can only get a new cable. Or if it's going to get tangled, it just snaps out rather than wrecks the thing.
    I'm not saying this to change your mind, just putting it on the table.

I've never personally tried any of the non-USB and wired Corsair headsets, so I cannot attest to the quality of these. I'll see if I can dig something up.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    As for the cable, you know there are these cable management things you can run under your desk for them never to be exposed on the floor at all? I'm not saying it should change anything.

Either way, one of the major advantages with HiFi-headphones is that the cable is detachable, so if you ruin it, you can only get a new cable. Or if it's going to get tangled, it just snaps out rather than wrecks the thing.
    I'm not saying this to change your mind, just putting it on the table.

I've never personally tried any of the non-USB and wired Corsair headsets, so I cannot attest to the quality of these. I'll see if I can dig something up.
    Desk termination (As in a place to plug you headwhatever on your desk) and short cable is the choice that comes to mind honestly, it has worked for me ever since i got my DAC/AMP, and i imagine it would be easy to do even with a crappy cable extention.

As far as sound quality - i honestly would not trust sites that review gaming gear, i'd look for a review on head-fi or so, but considering you're not out for sound quality the V2k might be an okay choice.

As always i'm going to rush you to not get a headset though, mainly because of the horrible experiences i've had with any headset i've had to date. It would always stop working at some point. Considering you're willing to shell out 150 bucks on it , you might want to check options, but if you're set on wireless and dont want to manage cables , or just want the freedom of wireless, I dont think there's something that's more convenient then that, provided you get a stable connection.

As always, make sure you try it locally first, before buying , and to compare it to how you like the sound of other headsets/phones you can get your hands on , locally.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Having experience with the Corsair HS-1 and Corsair Vengeance 1500 and a boatload of other headphones.

Whilst yes, if you're an Audiophile there are better (and FAR more expensive) headsets out there.
    However, as far as i know, the Vengeance 2000 is based on the 1500 made wireless with a small bit of quality loss that is said to be next to unnoticable.

And let me at least give you my impressions of the 1500.
    The 1500 is a good headset, has great bass due to it's 50mm drivers and produces excellent sound quality, i can hear things in games (FPS mostly) that i cannot hear properly with my Z-5500s (possibly due to range), however it's Treble (in my opinion at least) whilst good quality can be overpowering to the ears, luckily this can be lowered in the control panel, HOWEVER ... that control panel i'm not too impressed with, it's basic software and it'll do what it says on the tin but it looks cheap.

The headset goes LOUD, i mean stupendously loud, i have to keep my HS-1 and Vengeance 1500 @ 30% - 35% sound in Windows to prevent destroying my ear drums, but sound remains clear, even up to the 80% level, i basically haven't had them higher because of.. well pain of power.

The Vengeance 1500 has some advantages and disadvantages over the HS-1, so the 2000 being the same as 1500 only wireless means they share the properties.
    First off, the Vengeance 1500 has a manufacturing glitch that might or might not have made it into the 2000, not sure as i have no experience with the 2000s.
    That glitch is when you touch the ALUMINIUM sides of the holder next to the speakers it will cause interference and create a buzzing sound untill you stop touching it, as i said this is inherent only on the 1500 and not sure if it is on the 2000.
    Second: Comparatively, the microphone boom is more annoying and less flexible then the old HS-1 series, but is not in the way or a hindrance.

In exchange for the above disadvantages you get:

1: Improved sound quality over HS-1
    2: Improved microphone quality
    3: Better "seating" on your head.
    4: Cooler looking headset.

I can tell you that whilst it requires adjusting to the headphones for the first week because they are pretty damn big, they are in no way uncomfortable, and you can keep them on for gaming sessions of 12 hours straight without issue due to the memory foam and proper ear pads.

In general the headset is better then most even more expensive headsets with it's performance, you get a pretty damn good headset, but the box/software is pretty spartan, but truthfully this isn't as big an issue as you may think, Corsair promises a proper headset, which is exactly what you'll get.

Also i know the general consensus that 7.1 on a headset is a gimmick, and yes whilst it may be, the quality produced by it (IMHO) is noticably better then Stereo setting.

I hope this'll do you some good, i was aprehensive at first but Corsair managed to nail it pretty damn good, i've not looked back since.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Also i know the general consensus that 7.1 on a headset is a gimmick, and yes whilst it may be, the quality produced by it (IMHO) is noticably better then Stereo setting.
    Emulated surround isn't; two drivers emulating a surround environment (or rather, a three dimensional environment) is the best option for headphones. Having 7 speakers producing the surround sound on the other hand is far from ideal as each driver will be smaller (=worse) and cost will go up/quality will go down. There's also the issue of a person normally only having two ears, which means having 7 speakers is a waste.

I can confirm after some extensive testing of the Razer Tiamat, that the 7 actual speakers in a headset doesn't work as well as they may have hoped. It sounds.... cluttered? There's just far too many sounds coming at the same time, with very little genuine separation compared to a decent emulated 7.1 surround effect. The major difference, is that with the emulated one, the speakers simply imitate the effect of sound coming from varying distances and directions, which, to me at least, gives a more clear impression of where the sound is coming from. I also have a fairly well spread out THX cert 5.1 sound system in my room, so I know how true surround should sound and the effect of the 7 speakers in such an enclosed space is just... wrong.

I've tried using standard 2.1 headphones/headsets, but in the end, using an emulated 7.1 sound field just gives a far more accurate representation as to where sounds are supposed to be coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Emulated surround isn't; two drivers emulating a surround environment (or rather, a three dimensional environment) is the best option for headphones. Having 7 speakers producing the surround sound on the other hand is far from ideal as each driver will be smaller (=worse) and cost will go up/quality will go down. There's also the issue of a person normally only having two ears, which means having 7 speakers is a waste.
    I meant in reference to the Corsair Headsets Marest, since the high end series (HS-1, Vengeance 1500 and 2000) all boast 50mm drivers, not 7 speakers/drives per ear.

This is what i meant with emulated sound and 7.1 sounding better, if you use any of the 3 sets in Stereo mode or 7.1 (emulation) mode, the latter WILL sound better then pure stereo, i've noticed the difference, and so do pretty much all the review sites getting their hands on these things.

I just bought a set of V2000. I can give my .02 in a few days when they arrive. I was already considering the 1500s at their original price, which was ~$130 or so before. Wireless headphones... I am always fucking up my cables. I also have animals that like to chew cables, so as few as possible is a good thing.
    "Man is a slow, sloppy and brilliant thinker; the machine is fast, accurate and stupid." -William M. Kelly

High Overlord
    I've owned the Corsair 2000's headset since its been out, I've had the 1500's prior. The 2000's are very comfortable and block alot of the backround noise the battery life is amazing and the distance from the dongle to the headset is pretty good.

Titan
    Long quote
    That's pretty much exactly what i was looking for!
    Thanks.

I don't find it difficult to adjust to headsets, other than the audio difference. It took me a few weeks to get used to the G35 after moving from the Medusa due to the quality being completely different, but to go back to something that seems to be implied to be on par with the Medusa (referring to you mentioning the volume and bass) would take only a few minutes

I'm sure i can find some sort of clear sticky plastic to put over the aluminium if it does become an issue (but then again, i don't expect to be touching the headset much when listening). It's also great to know that it is actually aluminium and not plastic that's been painted silver. I suppose i should expect it as all the current products i own have some sort of metal cover or chassis (the K90, the M60, the Vengeance RAM, and the Force 3's, of course the AX1200 does being a PSU).

That's one other reason the wired headsets broke (weak point being the panel right between the headphone and the headband). The G930 survived due to it being wireless, but the panel being plastic would have made it just as likely to break had it not been wireless. Even if the V2K's are plastic inside at that same point, the design of that area looks more stable than it does on other headsets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer2k1 View Post
    I've owned the Corsair 2000's headset since its been out, I've had the 1500's prior. The 2000's are very comfortable and block alot of the backround noise the battery life is amazing and the distance from the dongle to the headset is pretty good.
    That's what i expected, but to know that they do block noise as would be expected (having memory foam and a soft "coating", as opposed to being plastic/vinyl) is welcoming. Having looked at the last page of the Guru3D review, they certainly do look comfortable to wear.

-----

Cheers all! Hopefully gonna be ordering them tonight.
    [...]

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    That's pretty much exactly what i was looking for!
    Thanks.

I don't find it difficult to adjust to headsets, other than the audio difference. It took me a few weeks to get used to the G35 after moving from the Medusa due to the quality being completely different, but to go back to something that seems to be implied to be on par with the Medusa (referring to you mentioning the volume and bass) would take only a few minutes
    Equal to? ... My friend you'll be in for a lovely surprise... The Speedlink Medusa is no match for the Vengeance 1500... so i would assume that the Vengeance 2000 will decimate it aswell.

As far as volume goes, as i said: "OH GOD THE PAIN, THE HORRIBLE BUT AWESOME PAIN, IT HURTS SO BAD BUT I DON'T WANT TO BECAUSE OF AWESOME SOUND!" would describe it properly.

That is if the 2000 inherited it's predecessor's settings, which it likely has.

My friend has the 1500 headset and he quite likes them, however I've only been able to try them on. Now I have a big head, so it might be that, that made them feel slightly tight, but I suppose that is also a good thing, snug headset/phones won't fall off. Very comfortable though as well, on the ears, much like my old Plantronics Gamecom 377s!
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

Titan
    Equal to? ... My friend you'll be in for a lovely surprise... The Speedlink Medusa is no match for the Vengeance 1500... so i would assume that the Vengeance 2000 will decimate it aswell.

As far as volume goes, as i said: "OH GOD THE PAIN, THE HORRIBLE BUT AWESOME PAIN, IT HURTS SO BAD BUT I DON'T WANT TO BECAUSE OF AWESOME SOUND!" would describe it properly.

That is if the 2000 inherited it's predecessor's settings, which it likely has.
    Ah, i didn't know you'd tried the Medusa'. That's definitely sold me on them then
    [...]

Remember, i cannot speak for the Vengeance 2000, only the HS-1 and Vengeance 1500.

But the 2000 seems to have inherited the 1500's genes so yeh.

Titan
    Remember, i cannot speak for the Vengeance 2000, only the HS-1 and Vengeance 1500.

But the 2000 seems to have inherited the 1500's genes so yeh.
    Yeah, Corsair themselves said it has the same internals and frame as the 1500 but with a Wireless controller instead.
    [...]

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Yeah, Corsair themselves said it has the same internals and frame as the 1500 but with a Wireless controller instead.
    Remember, for max sound you have to fiddle with the settings.

After you've done that... for your own sanity and health... SAVE THE FKING PROFILE.
    That's the one thing that's horrible, Corsair's not made any import/export profile in their software

Just bumping this to make sure you state your opinion on the headset after you get it today! (Ninja'ed that info from the other thread )

Maybe I'm misinformed, but isn't it a waste to buy a USB headset (like the V2000) if you've got a good audio card installed?

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Maybe I'm misinformed, but isn't it a waste to buy a USB headset (like the V2000) if you've got a good audio card installed?
    Yes, as long as you do get a good headphones and in the same price range, there are some very decent ones.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Yes, as long as you do get a good headphones and in the same price range, there are some very decent ones.
    I'm looking for a good pair of headphones myself. I plan to use these for my pc, my guitar amp and my iRig. Any particular advice for about 150-200 euro?