Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Hardest Olympic Event and your reason

For me its the Heptathlon.

I know some will disagree and there are dozens of other extremely hard disciplines but I believe this is the hardest because it has 7 completely different disciplines the athletes must learn to a suitable level.

From 200m sprint to distance running to the high jump to the the shot put and javelin to the hurdles. This is a great challenge IMO.

Thats why Jessica Ennis for me is the best.

Boxing for the sheer volumes of stamina and skill required.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Water polo
    these dudes are primarily using their legs to stay buoyant and they're constantly hitting each other and dragging each other underwater.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont even think I could single one event as being the hardest. I get amazed by watching pretty much all the sports, from the crazy girls doing flips in gymnastics, to the crazy ass table tennis players.

The only thing that the events have in common is that I couldnt do any of those sports half as well as they do lol.

The marathon, because just being able to complete it is a feat in itself that requires months if not years of training, let alone to be competitive in it.

High jump is impressive, they basically jump higher then the ceiling of many normal rooms, meassure 2,40m from the floor and upwards, it's quite mad.

edit: maybe not higher but close to it :P
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-08-06 at 01:35 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dressage. LOL

Honestly MOST things look really hard at that level because they are.

I don't really even follow gymnastics but that shit looks fucking difficult to pull off.

Also water polo looks pretty hard to be quite honest lol. We were watching it today and although I had no fucking idea what was going on (because all you can see is splashing) I could tell it took a lot of energy. You're constantly treading water, pushing/dragging people for position and then doing short bursts of swimming every so often. Looks incredibly tiring.

marathon, triathlon, gymnastics, swimming long distance, rowing long distance hell it's all difficult.

100m sprint because you have to face against Usain Bolt.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Decathlon is 10 events and imo is the hardest since it includes the pole vault.

Quote Originally Posted by riseoftheuk View Post
    For me its the Heptathlon.

I know some will disagree and there are dozens of other extremely hard disciplines but I believe this is the hardest because it has 7 completely different disciplines the athletes must learn to a suitable level.

From 200m sprint to distance running to the high jump to the the shot put and javelin to the hurdles. This is a great challenge IMO.

However, none of them are likely to master each one...etc.
    The lips of the righteous shall meditate wisdom, and he shall speak justice.

Gymnastics probably. That stuff's pretty crazy.

Triathlon IMO is the probably the most physically demanding and probably the toughest, mainly because #1 you have to face the elements and #2, you're facing many other people in grueling race to get to the finish line the fastest. It kicks your ass.

The sport that takes the most skill? That's debatable. There's a few for sure. Gymnastics is at the top no question, but you could throw a few others as well around.

Deleted
    Basketball by far - as you have to go up against the Dream Team who destroys everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ailozh View Post
    Basketball by far - as you have to go up against the Dream Team who destroys everyone!
    Lithuania was hardly destroyed. They pushed the US all the way to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailozh View Post
    the dream team existed in 1992. I think a lot of people could beat them now seeing as they are in the 40s and 50s (maybe even older)

10+ Year Old Account
    Putting aside the fact there ARE no 'easy' olympic sports :P

I would have to agree with the other people in the thread:

All the long distance running events - seriously how is it possible to run 9600 meters and still have the energy to sprint the final lap?

Any of the '~thons' sure the individual events are tricky, but when you have to do more than one of them at a time, it means you can't focus on a single event, meaning you get less overall practice.

Judo - I was watching one of the fights, everything was pretty balanced, then one of the women got a tiny bit distracted for a second, and she was on her back, game over. NONE of the other 'martial' events are like that, in Fencing if you get hit you can hang around and hit them back, in Boxing you can pound on eachother all you like, in TKD short of a Knock out the POINT is to keep hitting eachother. ONLY in Judo is there a one hit win. (this is also the reason I find the Judo fairly boring to watch. bring on Olympic Kendo!)
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Any of the '~thons' sure the individual events are tricky, but when you have to do more than one of them at a time, it means you can't focus on a single event, meaning you get less overall practice.
    I know I'm missreading what you just wrote but... "when you have to do more than one of them at a time" just gave me some images on an athlete running 800meter while throwing a javelin. Or 100m hurdles while throwing a Shot Put. Now THAT would be a wicked sport... :P

Quote Originally Posted by riseoftheuk View Post
    Jessica Ennis dropped down my "favorite-ladder" quite a bit when she decided not to participate in the 100m hurdles(the one that was not a part of Heptathlon). I mean, you qualify for the Olympics, then decide not to participate?! wtf is that about? If it was due to injuries etc., then ofc I can understand it, but as far as I know, the reason was "the last couple of weeks have been quite hectic due to the Olympics, so she wanted to spend some time with her family". At least that's the reason the reporters on Danish TV came with.

Shooting.. your feet get really tired after a while

I would have to say weightlifting. Other sports if you fail you just go slower or stop running/swimming etc., but weightlifting I think I would definitely snap.