Open World PvP -- Just a question for those interested in it

I've read up about how Dailies, quests, and amongst many other things being made in MoP are suppose to coax you out from a city and out into the world so you'll actually be fair game for all. Well, isn't this a rather moot attempt if you can queue into a Battleground at any place in the game world, or arena? It just occurred to me a few days ago that while craft-able PvP gear requires mats you find out in the world, this won't be that plentiful, let alone long lasting after the games been out for a month or so.

Would you see more Open-World PvP if Battle Masters were in different areas of MoP, or in a zone that could be attacked by either faction? It just feels like having the ability to queue up for an arena or battle ground in a very safe area such as a city just makes World PvP go back to the way it is now. I don't see how dailies, weaker guards, and what-ever else will make people PvP more. I understand if there are PvP objectives out in the world, plus world bosses; but those rewards and items you get from such things will eventually wane and become unpopular.

Your thoughts on this idea?

10+ Year Old Account
    I do! Mainly because when you had to que at a battlemaster you would often see others from your realm queing also (maybe not low-population realms), so you could all group together as a realm-based team (and to me, that made it even more fun)
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.

Just to clarify, you wouldn't be able to queue up for a PvP match anywhere in the world on a PvP server, or up until a certain level (85+ Maybe?). This way you would have to actually participate in getting into a BG or Arena.

What you are suggesting is only good in a perfect world with same population of horde and alliance, which does not exist in most of realms. With your brilliant suggestion, a realm that favors one side(like most realms) will almost only provide battlegrounds for that single faction. The not-so-popular faction in that realm won't be able to do anything and the population will switch even more to the popular faction, leaving noone at other side.

After reading and playing for years, I'm starting to see why Blizzard ignores most of the good ideas. It is because they get lost in an ocean of not so brilliant ideas that are thrown in with little to no thinking. (I mean the official forums are swarmed with things like this, not only this forum.)

Edit: I should say it wouldn't be a bad idea if the population issue didn't exist but then again, it is a very veeeery veeeeeeeeeeeeeery big issue to being with.
    Last edited by Angy; 2012-08-06 at 10:23 AM.

I really like the idea of this. But as Angy said the problem is the realm population.
    On my Realm Al'Akir there is barely any Allianz and its so boring. I started playing Allianz and like on peak times there is 25ppl online

First blizz should have a look at the realm issues. If they can get that issue outta the way, thing would look different.

No. A lot of servers have population imbalances, thanks to Blizzard's lack of action towards this issue.

If you do so, only one faction will be able to queue for PvP. This way, 1 faction will have huge queues, and the other will just give up on pvp.

Hey, everyone who said the issue with this idea is the idea of realm population balance.. That no longer applies. Since Blizzard is implementing cross-server zone phasing now with MoP. Which is also supposed to help alleviate some of the faction imbalances on servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by NGRazor
    If Russia suddenly put Satan in charge of their nukes and then they sent hellfire down on the Untied States, don't you think the U.S. would be pretty damn pissed when Russia said "well, we didn't know Satan would betray us."

Quote Originally Posted by Archeye View Post
    Hey, everyone who said the issue with this idea is the idea of realm population balance.. That no longer applies. Since Blizzard is implementing cross-server zone phasing now with MoP. Which is also supposed to help alleviate some of the faction imbalances on servers.
    So you merge 2+ servers in one zo,e full of people who want to PvP. The lag will be as epic as it is in the city invasions...

10+ Year Old Account
    World PvP happens simply because there is a place in the world where everybody wants to be. In Vanilla it was BRM, Silithus, and EPL. TBC had Isle of Quel'Danas. Basically, all these places offered something for raiders and casuals alike. The gear from Shattered Sun was comparable to T5/6 raid gear, for example, and BRM contained two dungeons and two raids, effectively funneling a majority of high level players into one area.

The problems that Wrath and Cata had was that the rewards for being out in the world were pretty lackluster, gaining faction rep became easier thanks to tabards + dungeon runs, and the badge/point system ended up scaling with the current raid, making rep and daily loot even less appealing. It's hard to encourage people to go out and about in the world and take 20-40 minutes doing dailies when they can click a join dungeon button and spend 15-20 minutes in a mindless run, or 60 minutes in an easy raid for superior stuff. In regards to world bosses, Kazzak and Azuregos were popular throughout the entirety of Vanilla because they each offered something every guild wanted: materials to the priest epic staff and the hunter epic quiver respectively.

Instances (dungeon and raids) were originally meant to give you the best stuff, while at the same time, being challenging. Quests, crafting, and rep were meant to get you the gear to help you complete those places. But it ended up being that dungeons and raids are the path of least resistance to get gear, while at the same time offering the best stuff. Until Blizzard starts designing the game around the Vanilla and TBC model again, you won't see people leave the cities and possibly get into the PvP hotspots. I doubt that will happen, as the people who played the game back then are few and far between these days, and the players who started on Vanilla/TBC are quite different than those who started with Wrath.

Well, I want to first point out how battleground queuing used to work. There was only warsong gulch and AV, later came arathi but you had to actually go to those zones and queue at the portal entrance to the zone. So there would be a group of people waiting around at those areas for the queue to pop. Of course this was just server wide and so times varied greatly depending on your faction/realm. (I can remember queuing for WSG and then taking a flight master to farm gold and be able to farm for as much as 20 minutes before I would get in, and that was fast.)

With that style of queuing there was lots of world PvP as people looking for that sort of thing would go and pick fights with the people grouped up to queue. Mileage would vary based on faction balance and pvP or PvE server (flagged or not flagged) but it was a place you could guarantee there would be people flagged somehow to fight.

Then there were things like Halaa in TBC that had set times for PvP and when that was not going on you could do some dailies that would flag you while you completed them. (think the wastelands tower daily.)

Of course all of that died when you could queue for anything from the comfort of your OP guard city. I actually would not mind seeing a smaller zone that if you queued from within this zone you got bonus to honor gained in the BG or something. Would have to be an island that does not allow flying mounts and flags you when you enter. I am guessing (without any real knowledge of the game mechanics) that you could utilize phasing to keep the numbers capped at any given time and with cross server zone tech you could keep the factions balanced. Think of something like the current tol barad daily hub island where the horde and alliance have camps opposite each other and some dailies to do. This way if you wanted to not participate, just queue from the comfort of your city hub of choice. If you wanted some extra fun or extra honor then queue from the PvP island.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakesong View Post
    So you merge 2+ servers in one zo,e full of people who want to PvP. The lag will be as epic as it is in the city invasions...
    Apparently (So give hope) this is not the case, and if a zone IS full of one server on both Alliance and Horde, you will be automatically switched off to a less populated server. It's automatic, and works sort-of like the channel systems in Korean MMO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    Of course all of that died when you could queue for anything from the comfort of your OP guard city. I actually would not mind seeing a smaller zone that if you queued from within this zone you got bonus to honor gained in the BG or something. Would have to be an island that does not allow flying mounts and flags you when you enter. I am guessing (without any real knowledge of the game mechanics) that you could utilize phasing to keep the numbers capped at any given time and with cross server zone tech you could keep the factions balanced. Think of something like the current tol barad daily hub island where the horde and alliance have camps opposite each other and some dailies to do. This way if you wanted to not participate, just queue from the comfort of your city hub of choice. If you wanted some extra fun or extra honor then queue from the PvP island.
    Yeah. I forget exactly when I started playing in Classic, but it was before the Battle Masters were added to Iron Forge. I can't remember what all was there when the patch rolled around, but I do remember the Warsong Gulch and Alterac Valley being there. Regardless to say being on Archimonde back then still had a lot of PvPers, these Battle Masters had countless players swarmed around them just waiting for their queue. I was super excited because as a new player I had no idea what or where these guys were at to try PvP out.

Well now I'm not new anymore, and since I can queue from anywhere in the world it's a lot less flavorful, and boring. I could imagine Blizzard sending you to this "island" as you say, in a Phased out zone for your first time so you can get use to the area on a PvP / PvE zone before being subjected to actual combat.
    Last edited by PenguinChan; 2012-08-06 at 09:26 PM.

Didn't like the way bg's were handled in vanilla (you had to run out and queue for av in alterac etc.) Too many ways to get grief that way, and in reality that's all that was done there. It would be nearly impossible for one person to go and start world pvp at the AV battlemaster nowadays since there are so many people queueing. You'd only ever see groups of 20+ people sitting spamming aoes on the battlemaster.

By world pvp, people want things like EPL and Searing gorge. But that wont exist since there's no reason to sit around waiting for your group to get there for a dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Athorha View Post
    Didn't like the way bg's were handled in vanilla (you had to run out and queue for av in alterac etc.) Too many ways to get grief that way, and in reality that's all that was done there. It would be nearly impossible for one person to go and start world pvp at the AV battlemaster nowadays since there are so many people queueing. You'd only ever see groups of 20+ people sitting spamming aoes on the battlemaster.

By world pvp, people want things like EPL and Searing gorge. But that wont exist since there's no reason to sit around waiting for your group to get there for a dungeon.
    I certainly don't remember any complaints about griefing such as that. Sure, there were reckoning paladins and vanishing rogues, but half the time they would get stopped and stomped into the ground because they are taking the chance of going into a swarm of 50 players. The NPC's would probably be neutral, or invincible with those invisible barriers we have now. The World PvP was a byproduct from having to manually go to a raid, and sometimes encountering others going to a dungeon.

You could possibly bring that back within a PvP realm so that people don't join a PvP realm for pure PvE. Who knows.