High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

If Someone Stole Money From Your Grandparents...

So, recently I found out from my mom that the caretaker for her parents stole several thousand dollars from a safe in their house. My grandparents know that she did it since she was the only person who would have access to it with exception to themselves. The caretaker will be referred to as "Susan" for now.

Susan has been their caretaker for quite a while now, and has been with them through a lot of things. I don't want to be too specific on how long she has been working for them, and what they've gone through due to the chance, albeit low chance, of her seeing. But, since I've known her, I've never actually trusted her. She never seemed like the type that I would want to work for me. She is constantly late for work, if she even decides to show up, and even when I'm around, she complains about her own problems, and her family's problems. I rarely see her act professionally. Even my grandparents complain about the way she acts and works.

Though all of this happened and is still happening, they don't want to get rid of her. They still "need" her "help" and can't seem to get rid of her.

When I first found out about this, I immediately thought of giving all of her information to /b/ and getting them to trash her, but I decided to wait it out and calm down a bit.

I still have no clue on what I can do to help. My grandparents don't even know I know what happened, and I won't let them know. It would be too embarrassing for them if they knew that I had learned what happened to them.

So, I'm sharing this with you guys in hopes of getting one comment that could lead me in the right direction on what to do in this situation. So, what do I do now?

EDIT: I don't know if I'd be able to call the police and file a report on this because we don't have any proof that she did it. She would just be able to say that "she didn't do anything like that and she's been a diligent worker for them the entire time. What sort of worker would steal from the people that hired them and continue to work for them?"

Sure, some might think that she's still there because she's still getting paid and might be able to pull off another heist, but the cops can't prove that.
    Last edited by Sirguygrand; 2012-08-06 at 05:24 AM.

Inform the authorities?

10+ Year Old Account
    Let your grandparents decide what to do. Despite your feelings of the situation, it is not really yours to handle. Albeit, you're not wanting to make a call to the police for theft.
    I like waffles!

10+ Year Old Account
    Find proof. Or find them a caretaker who will do the job how they need it done. The grandparents sound like they have a bit of "battered wife syndrome" or something.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Inform the authorities?
    "Susan" would just deny it, and it wouldn't get anywhere. They don't have any proof other than knowing that she's the only person who would be able to get to it. It wouldn't get anywhere.

Talk to your grandparents over this. Get them to get rid of her and fine someone else to work around the house. I'd also look into contacting the police over this.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Talk to your grandparents over this. Get them to get rid of her and fine someone else to work around the house. I'd also look into contacting the police over this.
    I might call my grandparents and talk to them tomorrow about it. I still don't want to let them know that I know about this whole scenario. And would I be able to do that even though I'm out of town? I'm almost 500 miles away from them at the moment. Would I be able to contact them to just ask questions and not stir everything up?

Deleted
    that's why you install a hidden camera, and do hint that you just put 500 dollars into the safe, juuuuuuuuuuust to take care of her.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm calling it for the night, and I'll check the thread again in the morning. Thanks for the support guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    tell /b/ if it gets bad enough i want to see the news story
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

The thing is you don't know it was her, you're just doing what rich people have been doing for millennia, accusing the staff of stealing. It's not even your money, you're just weighing in on other people's behalf. You obviously need to take theft to the police and take their advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirguygrand View Post
    When I first found out about this, I immediately thought of giving all of her information to /b/ and getting them to trash her, but I decided to wait it out and calm down a bit.
    This is never the right response.

If you do not have the balls to take care of it yourself this is the only course of action :
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    Find proof.

logically? call the police and file a report.
    emotionally? hatchet time.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirguygrand View Post
    So, recently I found out from my mom that the caretaker for her parents stole several thousand dollars from a safe in their house. My grandparents know that she did it since she was the only person who would have access to it with exception to themselves. The caretaker will be referred to as "Susan" for now.

Susan has been their caretaker for quite a while now, and has been with them through a lot of things. I don't want to be too specific on how long she has been working for them, and what they've gone through due to the chance, albeit low chance, of her seeing. But, since I've known her, I've never actually trusted her. She never seemed like the type that I would want to work for me. She is constantly late for work, if she even decides to show up, and even when I'm around, she complains about her own problems, and her family's problems. I rarely see her act professionally. Even my grandparents complain about the way she acts and works.

Though all of this happened and is still happening, they don't want to get rid of her. They still "need" her "help" and can't seem to get rid of her.

I still have no clue on what I can do to help. My grandparents don't even know I know what happened, and I won't let them know. It would be too embarrassing for them if they knew that I had learned what happened to them.

So, I'm sharing this with you guys in hopes of getting one comment that could lead me in the right direction on what to do in this situation. So, what do I do now?

EDIT: I don't know if I'd be able to call the police and file a report on this because we don't have any proof that she did it. She would just be able to say that "she didn't do anything like that and she's been a diligent worker for them the entire time. What sort of worker would steal from the people that hired them and continue to work for them?"

Sure, some might think that she's still there because she's still getting paid and might be able to pull off another heist, but the cops can't prove that.
    If this person was unintelligent enough to steal from people she works for, and didn't have the foresight to see that she would automatically be suspected, then it's possible that Susan just deposited that money in a bank account.

If your grandparents report the theft, the police will look into it automatically, and will put Susan at the top of their list, regardless of how much they vouch for her. As a suspect, Susan could have her bank records subpoenaed through regular police work.

Moreover, the amount of the theft would raise the criminality level to felony, and hit the "major crimes" unit of the police department.

So have them report the theft, and they can just say they don't know who could have done it. Let the rest work itself out.

(also, you can report the crime yourself, if you want, with or without your grandparents blessing)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    even if you think the cops cant or wont do anything you can still have your grandparents file a report. geriatric abuse is becoming a larger problem these days from people stealing money, jewelry to their prescription drugs.

if this is what your grandparents truly want then id be hard pressed to believe that your local authorities wouldnt do anything about it. at the very least they could come out and take fingerprints off the safe and if they find a set that doesnt belong to your grandparents then that would be most likely sufficient evidence to fingerprint susan for a match.

regardless of the situation i would talk to my grandparents and see what they truly want to do and then talk to the authorities. they are there to help and will under most circumstances give you some options.

Someone actually did scam some money out of my Grandma, he lived about a block away from her. I went to his house and got it back.

In this case I would convince your Grandparents to fire her and hire someone else, as well as inform the police, and whatever company she works for. You should probably also let /b/ in on it too, if there is one thing they are good at it's fucking someones month up.