Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Ex addict considering gaming again. My story, and game options?

Hi guys. I wanted to join here to share my story and get some advice with games, if I should even play any at all It might be a long post..got a lot to get out!
    EDIT: If you don't wish to read it all, the latter half is the most important.
    I have not played many games. I was addicted to Runescape for 4 years, briefly played Knight Online, before playing World of Warcraft for 3 years. I am not sure whether to call myself an addict or not. I believe I am just a very dedicated and obsessive person. With anything in life, not just gaming, I like to do things in big chunks with 100% focus for a long time. I am not easily bored, and I love feeling absorbed in the other world of a good game.

The last time I touched a game was the end of 2009, just before the release of Icecrown Citadel. I was a tank in a leading guild on my server, loving the game and playing all day every day. Seeking achievements and farming everything when not raiding. I only had the one character and achieved a lot. One day my computer died and I was without WoW for 2 weeks. Those 2 weeks I rekindled my love for the guitar and recording more than ever. I found new inspiration, music with qualities I never knew existed. I felt magic for the first time outside of a game. When I got my computer back, I considered becoming a casual player - moving to another server as I knew I could not become casual with my guildmates around. I arrived on the new server, played for a day, and never logged in again.

Since, I have almost completed 3 years of study in audio production and have come a long long way with my music. I still have a long way to go. I want to become a master, as is always the case - evident with my obsessive gaming.

Recently I've been having huge nostalgia for the magic feeling of playing MMO's. A feeling that was certainly lost in becoming great at the game. But I still miss endgame too..
    I considered picking up WoW to see how things are but I feel that would not be the best choice. I don't want to pay a subscription either, and would need to buy Cataclysm. Really I'm just longing to see my character again and bring her back to life..but I don't think I will go there.

SO..What I'm looking for is a new game. One that I can play casually. I'm not sure if an MMO is a good choice - I feel I would struggle to stay casual. I don't think it's because of a competitive nature with other people - I just do not like to feel the game grow ahead of me, such as WoW has now. A single player RPG will stay the same no matter how often I log in.

If there is an MMO that you feel would suit me..fire away. But it has to be F2P or one off payment - no subscription.

Really I think what is best for me and what I want most, is a nice single player RPG. The only one I have played is a game called Spellforce 2 which I used to fire up now and then, never quite completed it though. It was a really nice game, RPG combined with RTS simultaneously, which was an interesting thing I had never heard of before.

I want something that will totally absorb me. I hear Diablo (any number) is more about just gathering loot than a story. I want a game that will encourage me to just play, rather than trigger my need to collect and see absolutely everything. This is perhaps the most important point. Oh, and it has to be BIG. The one thing I love about MMO's is that they are endless. I want a huge game that I feel is endless, but one that I can stay away from without having to explore every little detail. In fact, GTA San Andreas has come to mind. I completed that casually several times - the huge sandbox feel, multiple paths and no INCREDIBLY direct questline (guy leads you here, walk on a path, next quest, so on so on..) was wonderful. That in a fantasy setting would be perfect.

I considered Baldurs Gate I or II, even though I know nothing about them. Thoughts? I hear they are making remakes soon, too.

I'm wondering if anyone has been here before after such a long time off. My life has really turned around and I am finally getting where I want. However, as an adult things just aren't the same anymore. No more 16 hour days every day to sit and play. I don't even feel like I get enough time for my music (though I certainly do - I'm just obsessive and feel I need to be doing it 24/7) - so part of me is telling me that I shouldn't be considering this at all. My free time is precious and should all be put towards my musical goals...

However - another part of me is saying that I should just relax and have fun sometimes. Not that I don't thoroughly enjoy my music...But there's just that little something about becoming an elf in a forest that really is unbeatable. I miss it so much.
    Last edited by mmocc659bc5164; 2012-08-06 at 07:50 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say just wait for GWII, im not even a fanboy
    I also enjoyed two world 2

10+ Year Old Account
    I'ld recommend Skyrim and Guild wars 2 (releases in a few weeks).

Skyrim is the 5th game in the elder scrolls series, so a huge open world with lots of stuff to do and explore. The pc version has a big modding community behind it so new user-generated content constantly pops up on steam and nexus. it's single player.

Guild wars 2 is the sequel to guild wars (well duh!) which is one of the most successful online rpg franchises ever. It is an MMO, but works in a very different way than most MMO's on the market. It has no sub fee, and a gear plateau, so it's easy to play casually.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated.-READ-ME

Deleted
    I think there is a certain type of person who knows they will never be a casual gamer. Whether it comes down to your personality, your ability to be immersed and not realise time is passing, whether it's because you genuinely feel that you get "addicted" to games, or because you don't enjoy something unless you're giving it your all, there is definitely a type of person who knows that playing for a half hour a day isn't going to cut it for them and they'll get sucked in.

It sounds from your post as if you know you're that type of person, and I'm not saying this in any negative type of way, because I'm that type of person too :P

If you know that's you, then personally I think that playing an MMO with other people is the wrong move if you feel that you already do not have enough time to dedicate to the things that are important to you, because one thing that MMOs will drain you of, is your time, especially if you will have trouble putting it down again. MMOs tend to be more addictive because of the social aspect in my experience.

From the sounds of you, leading, tanking, and by your own words somewhat obsessive, if you start playing an MMO which has an endgame focusing around group PVE you are likely to fall back into a committed leadership role which makes casual play and leaving very difficult.

A single player RPG on the other hand cannot possibly leave you with any feeling of commitment. I'd recommend the Mass Effect series, Skyrim or any of the Elder Scrolls Series, but old classics like Baldur's gate are fantastic too but may not give as many hours of game play as you want.

I am a massive D3 supporter and fan but from your description then I agree, this is not the game that you're looking for.

IF you did decide you wanted to play an MMO, I think a sub free one is a good move, since you will at least not feel you have to play xx hours a month to get "value" from the game, it's sometimes easier to be casual and play very little if you know you're not paying for it and in this case I do feel that the best MMO for size, depth and being able to follow storylines by yourself without ending up with leadership/raiding responsibilities is definitely GW2 which is out on 28th August (25th for headstart pre-purchases).

Certainly, if you're looking for value for money in the amount of gameplay you can complete than GW2 will probably offer that the most, since you will probably be able to eke out thousands of hours for the box price, whereas most single players you will probably have completed several times over in a quarter of that time... but if you really feel that an MMO is going to cause you to get "addicted" and affect your real life then stick to single players.

I can also recommend LOTR, although it's been a few years since I played it and I wouldn't personally go back to it, it gave me a few hundred hours of enjoyable game play and does not require you to spend anything on the box to try it out so certainly isn't going to hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.baldursgate.com/

That's the site to the new Baldur's Gate I Enhanced Edition. Will be released on September 18th. I personally think BG1 and BG2 are the two of the best RPGs ever made (together with Planescape: Torment) and they're well worth getting. BG2 EE will be released early 2013, and it will contain the Throne of Bhaal expansion.

if you seriously had a problem, i would not recommend gaming again.
    even single player games can be massively engrossing.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you were an actual addict, do not start gaming again. it's not worth destroying your life over.
    Hi

Deleted
    Thank you very much so far! Yes, Shemanic. That is one reason I wished to stay from MMOs. However, even if I did pick up an MMO, I feel I would be playing irregularly enough to consider myself playing solo. Even in WoW I played solo a lot - I was by myself with my own things to do outside of raiding.
    But yes - my personality means I want a game where I am not so much encouraged to chase the end. A game where I can be fulfilled doing pretty much anything.
    I just checked out the GW2 noobie thread and read all of the basics. It sounds and looks fantastic. Things that caught me - such as the personal story and the fact that you can involve yourself in ongoing events sounds great. It really does sound like a game that would have no negative aspects of being casual.
    Knowing nothing about Guildwars, do you think it would stay that way? I've learnt to always expect new content and expansions that offer new goals.

Bals, you have a good point. There is a part of me telling me to stay well away. I've managed for years, and am perfectly happy most of the time. However, like I said - I feel like I should just be able to indulge and become a fantasy character now and then. The main point here is I need a game that doesn't require me to keep coming back - and GW2 does indeed look promising in that aspect.

I don't plan to find a guild or a set group of friends. Like I said, I'd consider myself to be playing solo - whether it is single player or MMO does not matter to me - as long as I don't need to 'keep up' if chosing MMO.

GW2 is certainly out soon! Perhaps TOO soon haha - I'm going away for a little soon, have my final year of university starting up, and am receiving a very very special handmade custom guitar that will make me spend even more time on music. BUT if my wishes about GW2 are true, and it certainly seems that way - it wont matter if I start later. I wont actually be behind, so to speak.

Hmm..Anyone played a beta or something? I was hoping to have a game that I can run on my (pretty awesome) old laptop rather than the new top spec studio computer I am purchasing soon. Smooth gameplay on max graphics is a must

---------- Post added 2012-08-06 at 09:33 AM ----------

Something I meant to add in to the post I just made...
    I feel I have come too far with music now to let this overtake me. As a teen, I had nothing to do. Sure, I played the guitar - but now I have a goal I am working towards, people I am working with, a PASSION which I did not have before. Even if the game was fully addictive and required lots of me - I would not give it the time. Which would lead to a bad gaming experience. That's why I need a game that asks no requirements of me I don't even care about progress - I just want the opportunity to log in now and then and do or see something awesome, without having to grind first.
    Last edited by mmocc659bc5164; 2012-08-06 at 08:45 AM.

Deleted
    I'm going to agree with a few of the others - if you know you have a problem with gaming that could (and probably will) influence your day-to-day life as well as your future in a negative manner, don't play games. Especially if you're about to enter your last year of uni. It's not worth sacrificing your future over a few hours of entertainment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just checked out the GW2 noobie thread and read all of the basics. It sounds and looks fantastic. Things that caught me - such as the personal story and the fact that you can involve yourself in ongoing events sounds great. It really does sound like a game that would have no negative aspects of being casual.
    Knowing nothing about Guildwars, do you think it would stay that way? I've learnt to always expect new content and expansions that offer new goals.
    I assume it will. I played GW1 for a long time and it always stuck with the level cap of 20, even after expansions. Gear also didn't get better after content updates or expansions. They want you to progress in skill, not in gear.

Hmm..Anyone played a beta or something? I was hoping to have a game that I can run on my (pretty awesome) old laptop rather than the new top spec studio computer I am purchasing soon. Smooth gameplay on max graphics is a must
    I participated in every beta event, and it ran very smooth on my PC (even in busy zones like the starting areas)
    You didn't really give any info on your laptop specs, but if it can run guild wars 1 (2005 game) on max graphics, it should be able to run gw2 on lower settings, at least.

Deleted
    "Baldur's Gate 2" would probably be a good choice. Or its spiritual successor "Dragon Age: Origins" that borrows some of the features common in MMO games. But the game that matches your description best would probably be one of Bethesda's games, "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" being the latest entry. Their Elder Scrolls series is pretty much all about the exploration of the continent of Tamriel, one province at a time (i.e. per game).

If you want to be engrossed in a world with tons of lore and scenery that truly evokes the feeling of being an adventurer in an Old-Scandinavia-styled world, "Skyrim" should be first on your list really. The tundra, the snowy mountain tops and the aurora borealis should also give you pleasant flashbacks to your WoTLK days (it certainly did for me), and the twin moons seen at night will definitely remind you of entering Outlands for the first time.

A downside of the game is that the combat is somewhat lacking in depth compared to most MMO's and Bioware's RPG titles like "Dragon Age" that have a stronger emphasis on strategy. If you like stealth games, I would recommend going down the sneaker's/archer's road in "Skyrim" since the stealth mechanics are quite good, and hitting stuff with arrows from a distance is generally more fun than bashing. The game is overall less focused on storyline and leveling than most RPG's, so if you're an adherent to the saying that "the goal isn't what matters; the road is", "Skyrim" and all its related titles, would be your best bet.

Deleted
    at first i want to say I'm glad that you found fun and magic outside of gaming. In the end that's a massive step forward and something to be proud of. My advise is to stick to your music no matter if you decide to get into gaming again or not.

Here is my opinion about your personal situation: Stay away from mmorpgs. They don't have an end point and therefore can keep you busy forever. Therefore you'll find ourself sitting and playing as often and long as possible to achieve as much as possible. And yet you still won't "finish" the game. You can only lose there if you get addicted to gaming easily.

My advise is, if you really want to play a game then go and pick up a good single player game. Enjoy the story, get absorbed in an alternate reality and then, when you played all the way through the game then you'll be able to let it go and move on, since you completed it. If you like fantasy rpgs then maybe look into Skyrim, The Witcher or Dragon Age.

I hope this helps you a little bit.

If you have an addictive personality, stay away from Skinner Box MMOs. Especially if you are at a major turning point in your life. They are designed to push your buttons and push your buttons they will, and reward you with hollow, but tasty instant gratification, and eventually overshadow the real life.

I could wax on and on about how it will happen but you already know that, and if you don't, there's plenty written about it already.

I've been in the same boat as you; fortunately I have a strong enough sense of duty (or, more likely, a strong enough fear of fucking up and "dying in a ditch") that I never truly went off the deep end, but came close. Another thing that helped me is that I tend to burn out rather easily. I largely swore off Skinner Box-type gaming since and have been sticking to easy-street free MMOs (like Champions Online), and single player gaming.

Skyrim was good while it lasted, and I heard Dawnguard is not bad. I might try GW2, since they say that the Skinner Box elements are small to none there, and it looks awefully pretty in videos. My last fling with the Skinner Box was RIFT, and I even took a character up to 50, but I went on such a mad tear to do so that I burned out in less than a month.

So, bottom line: Skyrim for single player, on PC there's a lot of mods, it's fun. Witcher and Witcher 2 are also stellar, playing them is like reading a damn good book. Maybe GTA5 when it comes out, if you like crime sims. For multiplayer, some sub-less easy street MMO, or possibly GW2, but better none at all.
    "The Patient? Well... maybe... the mental kind..."

Deleted
    I would recommend that you pass on MMOs for the time being, and instead, discover the wonderful single player games that exist right now. There are many good RPGs like Skyrim, The Witcher etc, that can capture the spirit of gaming and entertain you while still not pushing you to the level MMOs do.

So basically, I would say that nice single player games is the way to go. I'm mostly on that side myself, I don't log in to WoW much lately, and I find that I enjoy my time on the computer a lot more this way.

And just to throw something crazy, what if you combined music and gaming? For example, you could make a music mod for Skyrim!

EDIT: There are also stellar adventure games, that focus on telling a story and letting the player explore and experience another world, like Dreamfall The Longest journey. I strongly recommend this genre as well.
    Last edited by mmoc3fe040ec5f; 2012-08-06 at 01:53 PM.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You never really said if your "addiction" had a negative impact on your life or not. You should not return to something that was once a destructive force in your life. But if you were somehow able to be a hardcore gamer and still juggle the rest of life's little requirements, there shouldn't be a problem here.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

15+ Year Old Account
    You could always wait for Planetside 2...less likely to be overly addiciting.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

I say stop focusing so much on music or game options. Even if one of them is your career, it is still not a good idea to revolve your world around just one thing. People with addictive personalities need to move towards personal relationships or family. If these play a big part of your life, then its much harder to become addicted to anything, because strong relationships give you better perspective.

Deleted
    Thanks again for the new replies!
    I wouldn't say it had a negative impact on my life back then. It wasn't a destructive force. I wish I had spent that time doing music instead, but I didn't have the inspiration or goal. Just one of those things you want to go back on and relive.
    Sledfang - I forgot to mention I've been in a great relationship for 3 years now.
    When I say music I mean aside from my career. My own stuff which will never be a living, even in a good climate. Stuff that I spend most of my time doing OUTSIDE of studys and career. It requires a lot of time, that's the thing I don't want the game to eat into.
    I realise I did come across as being rather worried that it would...but it wont I have strong willpower and wouldn't let it overrun things. I guess what I MEANT to say is I'm not going to put much time in it so I need a game where that's not a requirement. I think it's safe to say I'm going to pick up GW2. It looks fantastic and appears to be the kinda game I can log into to get away for a couple of hours now and then without feeling like a useless peon and needing to grind.

For me it's near impossible to play WoW without wanting to play seriously, which is why I haven't really touched the game that much in the last year.

Deleted
    Exactly. That's why I'm not going to go back to my character as much as I miss it.