Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Is a Utopian Society possible?

Is it possible to have a utopia in today's world? or is it just beyond man, and in man's nature to have turmoil, hatred and conflict?

I'm almost convinced that Mankind will define itself by the horrors it creates. Anything we build for good, is twisted, tormented and destroyed.

I do not believe at this current point in time, Mankind is capable of such things. It is beyond the majority of our pathetic species.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacrament View Post
    Is it possible to have a utopia in today's world? or is it just beyond man, and in man's nature to have turmoil, hatred and conflict?
    Utopian is perfection, so it is not possible. The universe is imperfect so seeking perfections is impossible. Now a society governed and managed by machines and computers would be free of corruption and inefficiencies, but mankind has many hurdles before we reach that point, if ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Utopian is perfection, so it is not possible.
    Perfection is a matter of point of view.

The current society would be perfect in the mind of a hypothetical someone. A typical utopian society isn't more unlikely than any other.

Every attempt at a utopian society that I'm aware of winds up looking like some of the most dystopian shit I can imagine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Perfection is a matter of point of view.

The current society would be perfect in the mind of a hypothetical someone. A typical utopian society isn't more unlikely than any other.
    Yes sociopaths and psychopaths think the current society is perfect. That's why I don't want psychopaths to have rights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Utopia cannot exist as it literally means 'Not a place'.

Deleted
    not currently possible. compare certain aspects of civilisation to 1000 years ago though, and maybe in another thousand years we can consider this proposal.

If a small society, then it's possible. In the sense of a 'perfect' society, where everyone is nice to each other, no conflict/hated, etc. And by small society I mean like, 15 people at most (and that's pushing it).

The more people you put into the society, the less likely it becomes, quickly becoming utterly impossible. There's just too many different types of people, far too willing to hate over the silliest of things.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Now a society governed and managed by machines and computers would be free of corruption and inefficiencies
    Every sience fiction movie ever made will tell you otherwise

O.t.: Yes its possible, we used to think man would never fly.
    So we either destroy ourselves at some point or we become the perfect society
    Last edited by RüneRS; 2012-08-06 at 01:52 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RüneRS View Post

Hopefully future reality with machines and computers managing our resources will be a lot more boring than futuristic sci-fi movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RüneRS View Post

Why would scientific/technological advancement be regarded as Utopian?

The answer to the question is no, any answers that state otherwise do not know what Utopia means - now if the question was about Eutopia, then that could be argued.

No, not in the direction we are heading at the moment. Our world leaders seem more hell bent on trying to gather every opinion, culture and person in one bag. That will never work, because people are different.

It may be possible to achive multiple small eutopian societies, co-existing together. Embracing our differences and creating one society each for every group of people.

"Utopia (/juːˈtoʊpiə/) is an ideal community or society possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system. The word was coined in Greek by Sir Thomas More for his 1516 book Utopia, describing a fictional island in the Atlantic Ocean. The term has been used to describe both intentional communities that attempt to create an ideal society, and fictional societies portrayed in literature. It has spawned other concepts, most prominently dystopia.

The word comes from the Greek: οὐ ("not") and τόπος ("place") and means "no place". The English homophone eutopia, derived from the Greek εὖ ("good" or "well") and τόπος ("place"), means "good place". This, due to the identical pronunciation of "utopia" and "eutopia", gives rise to a double meaning."
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    There is one reason that it cant succeed and that is evil. As long as evil exist, which has been forever, then peace cannot happen. You will always have someone or a group that wants to lead and control others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    No, not in the direction we are heading at the moment. Our world leaders seem more hell bent on trying to gather every opinion, culture and person in one bag. That will never work, because people are different.

It may be possible to achive multiple small eutopian societies, co-existing together. Embracing our differences and creating one society each for every group of people.

"Utopia (/juːˈtoʊpiə/) is an ideal community or society possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system. The word was coined in Greek by Sir Thomas More for his 1516 book Utopia, describing a fictional island in the Atlantic Ocean. The term has been used to describe both intentional communities that attempt to create an ideal society, and fictional societies portrayed in literature. It has spawned other concepts, most prominently dystopia.

The word comes from the Greek: οὐ ("not") and τόπος ("place") and means "no place". The English homophone eutopia, derived from the Greek εὖ ("good" or "well") and τόπος ("place"), means "good place". This, due to the identical pronunciation of "utopia" and "eutopia", gives rise to a double meaning."
    Reading that, I realise that I pronounce Eutopia incorrectly in English, as 'eu' is pronounced 'ef/ev' in Greek.

You learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrament View Post
    Two men, both heterosexual, both equally attractive, hell, lets make them twins even. One woman, gorgeous in every conceivable way to our two men. Both want her, and she is equally attracted to both. Your "Utopian" society is immediately in jeopardy based solely on the most basic of human instincts, procreating with the best possible mate.

Regardless of whether or not one of the men concedes and "settles" for a different mate, perfection has been lost because quite simply everyone didn't get the most perfect outcome for them.

In the end, you would have to start with a system that controlled the emotional state of all members of the society such that attraction and longing and desire and passion and contact with another being was predetermined and programmed in, and the person has to be none the wiser that this is being done. Additionally, everyone would have to be "matched" up with one other person and never can there be more than a one to one match up.

Yeah, this sounds like a society I would love to be a part of :P

Quote Originally Posted by slummish
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point in time, no I do not think we could possibly achieve utopia. Maybe several thousand years down the line when certain institutions are abolished and people no longer see the man across the fence as an entirely different species.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

15+ Year Old Account
    Impossible unless we remove the human factor which is needed per definition.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

In a world of imperfections, it is quite impossible to create a utopian society. Seemingly the only way to come close would be to have some sort of domineering force that provides everything and establishes order. I'd suggest reading 1984 by George Orwell. Then again, it all depends on what you mean by a utopian society.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Yes sociopaths and psychopaths think the current society is perfect. That's why I don't want psychopaths to have rights.
    Actually, they're quite likely to detest current society unless they're at the top. Otherwise it is far to constricting, especially for sociopaths who would generally have a lower threshold for stress and a greater disposition for physical violence.
    And good luck with the no rights for psychopaths thing, considering most people in control display quite a few traits of being so and they're not likely to relinquish that power.