Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

[Books] A good fantasy book (or series) to read?

Currently looking for a good fantasy book or series to read. Something in the way of LotR but maybe not SO heavy.

I was thinking about reading Game of Thrones, but I've read that magic is very downplayed in it. I'd like something with a lot of magic and sorcery, it's so much more fun! (Harry Potter, duh)

Any suggestions? What are your favorites?

Anything by Trudi Canavan.

Id start with either The Magician's Guild or Priestess of the White.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eragon is similar to Lord of the Rings but with more emphasis on the magic, and draws inspiration from LotR, Star Wars, and Harry Potter.
    Formerly The Dwarf Lover (TDL)

Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (and family)

Quote Originally Posted by Orukmeta View Post
    Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (and family)
    This ^ Awesome series

The Belgariad by David Eddings
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

The Wars of Light and Shadow, by Janny Wurts

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski (The Witcher is based on his series.)

The Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman

The entire Game of Thrones series is amazingly well written with little to no plot holes and is gripping from beginning to end(more books to come. What dwarf lover said about Eragon is very true, the only issue i have with that series is the amount of plot holes and unanswered questions at the end but still definitely worth the read imo.

Moving this to the appropriate forum

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anything Michael Moorcock... Elric sage is his best (IMHO), but everything he writes is great.

oh and Elric is pretty "heavy", but it IS dark fantasy

10+ Year Old Account
    Joanne Bertin's The Last Dragonlord and Dragon and Phoenix, Stephen Brust's Vlad Taltos novels, Harry Turtledove's Darkness series, and Michael Crichton's Eaters of the Dead have all been splendid reads for me.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I just finished Tad Williams' "The War of the Flowers" and found it really amazing for a stand alone novel. I would highly recommend it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much anything by Brandon Sanderson would probably fit your guidelines. Most of his stuff isn't super heavy (except for The Way of Kings) and he has some of the coolest magic systems I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by paupsers View Post
    Currently looking for a good fantasy book or series to read. Something in the way of LotR but maybe not SO heavy.

I was thinking about reading Game of Thrones, but I've read that magic is very downplayed in it. I'd like something with a lot of magic and sorcery, it's so much more fun! (Harry Potter, duh)

Any suggestions? What are your favorites?
    R.A Salvatore's The Dark Elf Trilogy fallowed by the Icewind dale Trilogy and so on....go do a search on the Dark Elf Trilogy its a long read a bit over 800 pages but a awesome read.

also The Dark Elf Trilogy was the first book i ever started and finished that was over 100 pages. but make sure u 100% start with The Dark Elf Trilogy fallowed by The Icewind Dale trilogy. i don't remember what one is after that make sure to look it up.

the Farseer series by Robin Hobb.

the first book is called "The Assassin's Apprentice."

it's also in that chart that Torethyr linked

Steven Brust's novels of Vlad Taltos. There are many, and while fantasy, the people in it are like real people. Good reads, and some good laughs. Nothing like a sarcastic assassin to make your day.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't go wrong with anything by Robin Hobb. Game of Thrones is a fine fantasy series too. As someone else said Trudi Canavan is a good bet too.

For myself I'm going to check out Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. I need to start planning for my Christmas haul of books after all.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    The "Orcs" series by Stan Nichols - they get a bit *too* High Fantasy now and then, but that aside they are great books.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann