Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Piers Anthony has both the Incarnations of Immortality series and the Xanth series, the former deals with Aspects(mother nature, time, death, war etc.) and mortals interaction, and the latter deals with lots of magic and bad puns.

Edit: And, Terry Pratchett has the Discworld series, very funny and lots of fantasy.

The Mistborn trilogy by brandon sanderson

10+ Year Old Account
    Came here to recommend the "Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordon and the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" by Steven Erikson, but I see they have already been mentioned several times.

I also like "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" by Tad Williams. The magic isn't as prevalent as it is in the other two series I mentioned, but it still has some epic scenes. There are dragons, immortal beings, huge battles, all that good stuff.

It's already been said multiple times, but Malazan Book of the Fallen is great. I'd also suggest The Kingkiller Chronicles by Rothfuss if you like the whole "kids at schools of magic" plot. Sanderson's The Way of Kings, was a great first book in what's supposed to be a ten novel series, though the next book is a currently delayed until he finishes Wheel of Time. Stephen King's Dark Tower series was also very good, though you have to get over some awkward plot devices in the last few books.

Farseer series by Robin Hobb
    A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin
    Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
    Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson

10+ Year Old Account
    R. A. Salvatore's stuff you would probably like. Start with the Dark Elf Trilogy and the Cleric Quintet.

You could also try stuff by Brent Weeks. It's not elves and dwarves and all that, but there's a lot of magic, swords, war, and all that good stuff. Id' recommend starting with the Night Angel trilogy simply because all of them are out. The Black Prism is also incredibly good, but I've been waiting for the sequel for what feels like forever, even though the book didn't really come out that long ago, lol.

Steven Brust is another good one. Vlad Taltos is a character that I absolutely love.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how many of these actually fit your request. But they're the ones I trot out every chance I get.

Legend, by David Gemmell. Magic is somewhat more prevalent than in LotR, but it's still very swords (and an ax)-heavy. Later books are sort of a series, but fairly loosely connected, only primarily by taking part in the same universe at different points in time. The bonus part is that these books heavily influenced the lore behind WoW.

The Black Company, by Glen Cook. It's the original dark and gritty low fantasy. In the first few books, magic is decidedly on the side of the Bad Guys, but that's okay, because the narrators work for them. Later on, the protagonists gain access to some pretty hefty sorcery, but the narrator almost never has any real magical ability. Glen Cook also has some other good series, such as the Garrett Files (named after a gumshoe detective in a fantasy city), the Dread Empire series (which is the closest to true LotR fantasy that he's done...but even then it's much freakier and has bigger spells), and the Instumentalities of the Night, which is a names-and-serial-numbers-filed-off Dark Ages Europe and Middle East with magic and guns. It's more military fantasy than anything else.

The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher. Okay, it's got an orphan wizard boy named Harry, but he throws fireballs instead of disarm spells. Set in the modern day, he deals with vampires, werewolves, demons, fay, and other wizards, while paying the rent with an ad in the Yellow Pages and a consulting gig with the Chicago PD. Later books have rather impressive knock-down drag-out fights. His other series, the Codex Alera, recently ended; that's Romans with elemental powers against the Zerg, and is much better than it sounds from that description.

Lastly, there is the Shadows of the Apt, by Adrian Tchaikovsky. It's a world of insect-themed people in a conflict between rising steampunk technology and old magic that's coming back. This is far better, IMHO, than it has any right to be, mostly because I hate steampunk, but somehow this works.

Quote Originally Posted by koudbiertje View Post
    The sword of truth series hands down best fantasy magic books ever created

ever

Hands down the worst series ever in my own opinion. I have always felt no reason what so ever to care about any of his characters in that series, they are so shallowly written. Almost seems like character development was an afterthought. And the way his books read are like someone on a road trip with NO idea where they want to go.

That being said, Steven Erikson, GRR Martin, Robert Jordan, David Duncan, Fiesst, Weiss/Hickman, Steven Donaldson, Terry Brooks, Terry Pritchett are all really good authors and would provide a strong base for any Fantasy readers collection.

---------- Post added 2012-08-14 at 12:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by endgame619 View Post
    Piers Anthony has both the Incarnations of Immortality series and the Xanth series, the former deals with Aspects(mother nature, time, death, war etc.) and mortals interaction, and the latter deals with lots of magic and bad puns.

Edit: And, Terry Pratchett has the Discworld series, very funny and lots of fantasy.

Piers Anthony, totally forgot about him, such a good author. His Bio of a Space Tyrant series is awesome too, although thats Sci-fi and not fantasy.
    Where did you park the invisible car?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfist View Post
    That being said, Steven Erikson, GRR Martin, Robert Jordan, David Duncan, Fiesst, Weiss/Hickman, Steven Donaldson, Terry Brooks, Terry Pritchett are all really good authors and would provide a strong base for any Fantasy readers collection.
    This is a great list, so I'll just add the ones you forgot

L.E. Modesitt jr., Patrick Rothfuss (My fave, YES I rank him above Tolkien. Sue me.), Charles de Lint, Scott Lynch and Julian May (Boreal Moon, he has written in more genres, but BM is great fantasy). And if you want something that REALLY stands out, check out the Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Raymond E. Fiests' Riftwar Saga (Magician, Silverthorn, Darkness at Sethanon) and then his Empire trilogy (Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire) Highly recommended.

Game of Thrones as you suggested would also be excellent.
    There are many more books to read after the rift war series i own all of them i think theres about five more 3 and 4 books series to follow.
    I want to read game of thrones, also Id recommend the shannara series by terry brooks I forget the order but the reading order can be find b googling terry brooks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Btw, @ Torethyr's picture:

Who will save us? The Seeker of Truth OR The One Power. Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft, no contest! xD

gogo Mattrim Cauthon!
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

If you think LotR is Heavy, then I'd definitely steer clear of Wheel of Time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by waldona View Post
    If you think LotR is Heavy, then I'd definitely steer clear of Wheel of Time.
    Heavier plot, aye, but LotR is mainly heavy because Tolkien tended to forget that people who DIDN'T study languages were going to read his books :P

IMO!

sword of truth and the Belgariad !!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Brent weeks - The Night Angel Trilogy

Patrick Rothfuss - Just amazing

Gail Z. Marting - Chronicles of the Necromancer

The Dark Elf Trilogy is the beginning of an amazing set of books by R.A. Salvatore, think there are 13 or so, followed by the Hunters Blades Trilogy, which in turn is followed by Transitions trilogy (I think). He's also recently written another trilogy that follows the same characters, last book of that just came out actually.

Also, The Codex Alera by Jim Butcher, I think thats 6 books.

Anyway, those are probably my 2 favorite fantasy series, even though they are almost nothing alike.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilnezhara View Post
    Brent weeks - The Night Angel Trilogy

Patrick Rothfuss - Just amazing

Gail Z. Marting - Chronicles of the Necromancer
    HOW did I forget that one?? Yes, check out Chronicles of the Necromancer if you want magic. DO EET NAO!

Deleted
    The farseer series by robin obb. Seriously.
    All of robin hobb's books play out in the same universe, at the same time, and they weave together sometimes. Best read-order would be: The farseer trilogy > The merchants and the magic ships trilogy > The golden man trilogy (A continuation of the farseer trilogy) and then there's a continuation of the merchants trilogy that i can't seem to remember the name of...Sorry if i got the names slightly wrong, i translated from my native tounge to english :P

Here's a link to the first trilogy, i promise that you'll love it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Farseer_Trilogy

Wheelof Time, Sword of Truth, Crown of Stars and Magicians Apprentice. All good series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven Descent View Post
    The farseer series by robin obb. Seriously.
    All of robin hobb's books play out in the same universe, at the same time, and they weave together sometimes. Best read-order would be: The farseer trilogy > The merchants and the magic ships trilogy > The golden man trilogy (A continuation of the farseer trilogy) and then there's a continuation of the merchants trilogy that i can't seem to remember the name of...Sorry if i got the names slightly wrong, i translated from my native tounge to english :P

Here's a link to the first trilogy, i promise that you'll love it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Farseer_Trilogy
    I actually started with the Soldier's Son trilogy, and I recommend people to start with that one. Everything ELSE she has written under the Hobb pen-name connects in one way or the other. But Soldier Son is a standalone trilogy, and a great way to check out her style :P imo, ofc.