Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Esports Gaming Headset recommendation?

Hey,

I am a serious esportsler and have played FPS at top levels as well as WoW. I am looking for proper advice for a very decent GAMING headset.

Personally I am a roccat fan for hardware (mice/pads etc) but when it comes to headsets I want what is amongst the best on the market.

In headsets I am a proper Sennheiser fan for longevity, I have been using PC 151 the most as well as other and have seen buddies use Steelseries 5.1's when I bootcamped with them etc..

I want to get a full ear lapping headset (big headphones in layman terms) and want to know the quality loss from a wireless vs. cord.

Recap what I'm looking for

- Comfortable full ear headphones
    - Obviously performant sound and microphone quality
    - Easily adjustable headset size (small size head <.<)
    - Prefer wireless for moving comfort (need to know the quality loss vs. cord)

Recommendations

- Roccat Kave 5.1
    - Sennheiser PC360
    - Logitech G930

Budget: Open to all prices and prefer to purchase from amazon.co.uk as I live in Luxembourg. Can of course order online from other european stores (prefer german/english stores).
    Last edited by Lifire; 2012-08-08 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vifire View Post
    Hey,

I am a serious esportsler and have played FPS at top levels as well as WoW. I am looking for proper advice for a very decent GAMING headset.

Personally I am a roccat fan for hardware (mice/pads etc) but when it comes to headsets I want what is amongst the best on the market.

In headsets I am a proper Sennheiser fan for longevity, I have been using PC 151 the most as well as other and have seen buddies use Steelseries 5.1's when I bootcamped with them etc..

I want to get a full ear lapping headset (big headphones in layman terms) and want to know the quality loss from a wireless vs. cord.

Recap what I'm looking for

- Comfortable full ear headphones
    - Obviously performant sound and microphone quality
    - Easily adjustable headset size (small size head <.<)
    - Prefer wireless for moving comfort (need to know the quality loss vs. cord)

Recommendations

- Roccat because I love their brand
    - Logitech G930 (heard my friend was roughly 1 floor down in the kitchen cooking and still talking on teamspeak!)

Budget: Open to all prices and prefer to purchase from amazon.co.uk as I live in Luxembourg. Can of course order online from other european stores (prefer german/english stores).
    If you want something for longevity I can't recommend the G930, based on my personal experience. Damn thing started to fall apart just after 6 months. Currently waiting on Logitech to get back to me about warranty coverage.

Alright as said if people have proposals of different headsets in their mind feel free to share!

10+ Year Old Account
    If you really are working as an esporter & spend the majority of your time on the computer then I'd suggest the following things:

Blue Snowball Microphone
    Sennheiser HD 598 or HD 558
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

15+ Year Old Account
    Astro wireless A40's with wireless mixamp

These are open-ear, so if you're looking for very "full" sound in your headphones they're not for you

Logitech G35 are also pretty nice
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

http://www.modmic.com/
    +
    Whatever good set of headphones you like.

I'm not sure about all the differences between the 5H, but I've been using a SteelSeries 7H and thought I might be able to give a quick review. First and foremost, it is amazingly comfortable. I've never come across a headset that sits over my ears quite like this one. Everything else I've tried either seems to have too-shallow earcups or huge discs that cover half your head. It's kind of a subtle thing, but I've really gotten used to it. It isn't adjustable in any way, although the headband seems to bend slightly to accommodate different head sizes. It fits perfectly for me, but I could definitely see this being a potential problem. It's just something you'd have to try to know, I suppose.

The thing feels like it's pretty well-built but at the same time is actually pretty lightweight. I could wear the thing indefinitely and never find them uncomfortable, which is the most important thing for me. The only area I might complain about is the sound quality. That's not to say that it's exceptionally bad; It's simply a gaming headset, which as a general rule won't pass for professional audio equipment. As far as I know, Sennheiser makes the only headsets with fairly respectable audio components.

I think it would be worthwhile to look into. What constitutes acceptable sound quality is subjective, so I can't really make that call for you. I find it plenty good enough for gaming, even though I have some much higher quality headphones and microphones for music.

Edit: These aren't wireless though. Somehow missed that requirement. Quality issues with wireless shouldn't be too apparent. You will theoretically lose quality and strength with a wireless set, but odds are good that it won't be enough to bother you. It may not even be noticeable. The main headache nowadays is mostly just dealing with batteries, unless you consider yourself extremely picky about audio quality.
    Last edited by asb; 2012-08-07 at 05:23 PM.

Corsair V2000. They are wireless with a 10 meter range, 7.1(virtual) large high-quality 50mm drivers, super comfy memory foam, and they look great for a gaming headset. Plus, Corsair gives a two year warranty with every pair.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Veng...4362180&sr=8-1

Your local prices for it are a bit higher than here in the States, but it is a set with great reviews that is 30 quid cheaper than the PC360.
    Last edited by Demoness; 2012-08-07 at 06:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would go with a Sennheiser PC360, it has upgraded sound from the PC350 and uses less power, it's comfortable enough for extremely long gaming sessions, as well as being one of it not the best headset for computers

I would buy a proper set of headphones and steer clear of PC peripheral companies. "Gaming" headsets are overpriced junk. If you bothered to use the search function you would see dozens of the same thread with plenty of solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i would go with a Sennheiser PC360, it has upgraded sound from the PC350 and uses less power, it's comfortable enough for extremely long gaming sessions, as well as being one of it not the best headset for computers
    I would agree with this. My Senheiser PC360 has been the best headset I have ever used.
    Desktop: i7 6700k @ 4.8GHz | MSI 1080ti Gaming X | EVGA Classified K | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V @ 3200MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) Micron 2TB SSD (Games) | Seasonic 750W Titanium | Corsair 750D | Acer x34 Predator Benq PD3200U
    HIDevolution NP9877 Laptop: Delidded i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 1080 | 16GB G.Skill @ 2946MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) 2x 500GB SSDs (Games) | 1440p 120HZ GSync Display

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-...-section-added

Open to all price ranges, huh?
    SR-507 + Amp + Microphone of choice. (or the HD800)
    If we're talking reasonable price ranges i'd say the AD-700 (Or the AD-900, perhaps the AD-2000) is the exact gaming pair of cans you want, except it's not all that good for music, their upper models are though.
    Last edited by Keller; 2012-08-07 at 06:17 PM.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

The PC360 seems acceptable

Any experiences (personal) between the PC360 and the G930 ?

What do people think about the Roccat Kave 5.1
    Last edited by Lifire; 2012-08-08 at 12:16 AM.

The PC360 seems acceptable

Any experiences (personal) between the PC360 and the G930 ?

What do people think about the Roccat Kave 5.1
    I would certainly not go for the roccat. It's one of those bogus multiple-driver headsets that sound like crap. As if that was not enough it has extra weight on it and 5 plugs, adding extra failure points.

No personal experiences between those but It's a case of wired vs wireless - it's there if you want convenience, but we had a thread recently and there were complaints of it cutting out, so would not get it either. The sennheiser is alright, although far from the best value, it's the best value when it comes to headsets.

Dont be fooled by the reviews, their baselines might aswell be iBuds.
    Last edited by Keller; 2012-08-08 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post

To be fair, multi-driver headsets don't inherently sound bad. The Medusa (which i was fond of) was multi driver rather than large-driver and delivered brilliantly in all ranges, especially for such a modest price. Having not used the Kave, i can't comment on it specifically, but i wouldn't outright say all MD headsets are bad.
    Odd, first time I hear someone praising a MD headset, with the exception of that other thread. Generalizations are inherently bad, but I stand by my argument - Too many jacks , a lot of failure points and sound positioning that's not better then your run-of-the-mill virtual dolby surround.

Then again i'm biased .

Best option is to try multiple headsets in person.

Well a lot of people I have played with on lan (this dates back upwards 4 years) run with Medusa or the Steelseries 5H.

Medusa price wise is nice but the annoying thing is these headsets all date back to 2008/2009/2010. That is 2-4 year old technology..

Anyone know of anything more recent ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well a lot of people I have played with on lan (this dates back upwards 4 years) run with Medusa or the Steelseries 5H.

Medusa price wise is nice but the annoying thing is these headsets all date back to 2008/2009/2010. That is 2-4 year old technology..

Anyone know of anything more recent ?
    the technology used in the earpieces of headphones and headsets has changed very little in the last 40 years, minor things here and there, but its not like computers where we get regular updates

if it was good in 1978-2008 it's probably still good today

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    the technology used in the earpieces of headphones and headsets has changed very little in the last 40 years, minor things here and there, but its not like computers where we get regular updates

if it was good in 1978-2008 it's probably still good today
    Ok tbvh thats good for me to know! Thanks.

I think I'll look into the prices of the headsets.

I will go for either Medusa/Steelseries or Roccat. Aiming about 60-80€ in budget because currently not in the mood to spend more.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoness View Post
    Corsair V2000. They are wireless with a 10 meter range, 7.1(virtual) large high-quality 50mm drivers, super comfy memory foam, and they look great for a gaming headset. Plus, Corsair gives a two year warranty with every pair.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Veng...4362180&sr=8-1

Your local prices for it are a bit higher than here in the States, but it is a set with great reviews that is 30 quid cheaper than the PC360.
    Too bad it's a USB headset though... If you've got a decent audio card installed, using a USB headset seems a waste.

15+ Year Old Account
    Either Logitech G930 or Corsair Vengeance-2000 both are very good the Astro A40 is also a good one but its hard to get in europe -_-

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    If you want something for longevity I can't recommend the G930, based on my personal experience. Damn thing started to fall apart just after 6 months. Currently waiting on Logitech to get back to me about warranty coverage.
    That a personal problem tbh i got this G930 for a bit over a year now and its still working smoothly and still looking like the moment i took it out of the box it only smells a bit different xD
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2012-08-08 at 08:58 AM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog