Eyefinity - 6850 - 3 Monitors

Hello!

Want to run a 3-monitor setup, looking for some help.

GPU: Radeon 6850
    Monitor: BenQ G2420HDB

My question is, for a 3 monitor setup, what kind of adapter would I need? Apparently you need a DisplayPort adapter, but I read that you need a mini. I'm a little confused. For my card, what kind of adapter would I need?

Active display port adapter. Also, you may run into performance issues with a single card. You will most likely need to run your 5760x1080 stuff at med/low quality. I have a single GTX 680 pushing four monitors and I have to drop from ultra to high in most cases for a playable framerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoness View Post
    Active display port adapter. Also, you may run into performance issues with a single card. You will most likely need to run your 5760x1080 stuff at med/low quality. I have a single GTX 680 pushing four monitors and I have to drop from ultra to high in most cases for a playable framerate.
    Thanks! I just found that out as well.

Just one more question it seems, will I need a single or dual link adapter?

Single adapter , but you'll need 2 of them ,

This should help clarify a bit. Dual-link is only necessary if you plan on running resolutions higher than 1080p.

http://fireuser.com/blog/what_does_d...actually_mean/

This should help clarify a bit. Dual-link is only necessary if you plan on running resolutions higher than 1080p.

http://fireuser.com/blog/what_does_d...actually_mean/
    I believe my monitor has the Dual link connectors. I'll have to double check that.

Why would I need two adapters? In a three monitor setup, wouldn't I use 3x DVI cables + DisplayPort adapter?

Your 680 is running four monitors on high, would my 6850 have trouble with ultra on 3 monitors? Trying to find someone else with this same setup on Google.

I had my 5870 running 3x24s at max resolution just fine with many games. Never played BF3 or anything but crysis, wow, blackops, dragon age, and lot more others were completely fine at a steady 55-60 fps on max settings. My video card was a little bit OCed at the time. Not sure how the back of your video card is setup but Im going to assume you have one that has 1 DP port 2 dvis and 1 hdmi. I had mine setup with 1 monitor on active dp adapter http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814999032 this one I believe and the other 2 monitors hooked up with DVI. I changed back to a 2 monitor system when I got a 27 inch monitor and it broke the clean line across 3 24s, plus i built my wife a new rig and she wanted dual monitors. Also it might help if your going with that card to go with lower resolution or smaller monitors with lower resolution to make it run better or obviously a better video card.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    I had my 5870 running 3x24s at max resolution just fine with many games. Never played BF3 or anything but crysis, wow, blackops, dragon age, and lot more others were completely fine at a steady 55-60 fps on max settings. My video card was a little bit OCed at the time. Not sure how the back of your video card is setup but Im going to assume you have one that has 1 DP port 2 dvis and 1 hdmi. I had mine setup with 1 monitor on active dp adapter http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814999032 this one I believe and the other 2 monitors hooked up with DVI. I changed back to a 2 monitor system when I got a 27 inch monitor and it broke the clean line across 3 24s, plus i built my wife a new rig and she wanted dual monitors. Also it might help if your going with that card to go with lower resolution or smaller monitors with lower resolution to make it run better or obviously a better video card.
    The 5870 and 6850 have similar benchmarks, so it seems that I would be fine based on your own personal experience.

Thanks!

Like I said I never played many new games with it setup but the games I listed played great. I have a 5870 and a 6870 in my wifes machine both great cards. Your 6850 should be able to be OC'ed to the equivelent of a 6870 without to much issue also or at least very close.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    Like I said I never played many new games with it setup but the games I listed played great. I have a 5870 and a 6870 in my wifes machine both great cards. Your 6850 should be able to be OC'ed to the equivelent of a 6870 without to much issue also or at least very close.
    I really only play WoW, so it works.

And yup, it's currently overclocked with Overdrive to max settings and love it, so no issues there.

Personally I would think that in GPU intensive games, you will start to have some serious issues, but in less GPU intensive games (E.g. WoW) You should be *relatively* okay, as it's based more on your CPUs performance (for base/minimum/smooths out fps, the GPU in WoW increases your Maximum FPS).
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Quote Originally Posted by Squadz View Post
    I believe my monitor has the Dual link connectors. I'll have to double check that.

Why would I need two adapters? In a three monitor setup, wouldn't I use 3x DVI cables + DisplayPort adapter?

Your 680 is running four monitors on high, would my 6850 have trouble with ultra on 3 monitors? Trying to find someone else with this same setup on Google.
    My 680 is almost triple the GPU of your 6850, if not moreso. If you are playing WoW, you should be fine, as it requires very little in terms of GPU power. If you are asking about BF3, you wouldn't get playable framerates on ultra with a single monitor. I didn't see where you specified your games you wished to play with your setup, or I could give you a better example.

My 680 is almost triple the GPU of your 6850, if not moreso. If you are playing WoW, you should be fine, as it requires very little in terms of GPU power. If you are asking about BF3, you wouldn't get playable framerates on ultra with a single monitor. I didn't see where you specified your games you wished to play with your setup, or I could give you a better example.
    It'll probably only be WoW.

Just one more question, with my graphics card and 3 of these: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...1&sku=320-1629

Would I need a dual or single link displayport adapter?

Just an update: I got my 3 monitors in and testes it out and I'm getting about 30 fps flying around nagrand.

To get back to 60 fps, should I grab a new card or crossfire my 6850?

Price isimportant.

Are you running at max quality settings, you might just be better off dropping some small things like shadows. Whats the rest of your computer specs didnt even realize none of us asked that before oops. WoW is pretty dependent on CPU also. Have you tried clicking the recommended settings and see what it sets you to in game. Nagrand is a funny place I've heard a lot of people in general talk about fps dips due to to many shadows or view distance. But then they leave and it hops up again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Squadz View Post
    The 5870 and 6850 have similar benchmarks, so it seems that I would be fine based on your own personal experience.

Thanks!
    What? 5870 is slightly better than a 6870
    Excluding DX11

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    What? 5870 is slightly better than a 6870
    Excluding DX11
    I was going by > http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Going to try the 64 bit client for WoW tonight, see if there's any improvement to my FPS. If not, I'll buy another 6850.

Anyone have any experience with Crossfire + WoW? Or Crossfire + WoW + Eyefinity?

Specs:

12 MB RAM
    i5 760 (OC: 3.8ghz)
    6850 (OC: far as possible with Overdrive)
    mobo: p55a-ud4p

Edit: Played around with it. I got DX11/Full screen to work finally, I think it was DX9 bringing my FPS down. I'm around 60 in Shatt, and 30-40 in mob areas on Ultra. Definitely playable, but not sure how raids or battlegrounds will be yet.

---------- Post added 2012-08-16 at 08:28 AM ----------

By the way, for those interested: (this was before moving things around on my screen)

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/...sulvaxorw.mp4/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...mg00000036.jpg
    Last edited by Squadz; 2012-08-16 at 02:15 PM.