Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galloways View Post
    I'm not trying to rush things, but I was just curious. Do you happen to have an ETA of when the server will be coming up?
    Couple of weeks depending on work and other things in life. Like I said, I need to buy a few upgrades for the computer I'm going to try using first. Mainly memory. I'll shop around a little and order it sometime this week. After that it's just a matter of setting all the addons up correctly. I might do that on my laptop beforehand to get it working good and then use the config files to solve block ID conflicts and the like easily. Never setup a server before, so there may also be a learning curve.

I'll let you guys know when its good. Probably keep it invite only.

Deleted
    Yes Fuzzie sounds like a great idea. I am already looking forward into playing with you guys Raiding a cave or mine with 10 people will be fun!

15+ Year Old Account
    Be patient though. Once the summer season is over my work schedule dies down. That's when I'm looking to do it. Right now I'll get some prep done, but I cant promise anything. Might have jumped the gun announcing this. Again, please be patient.

All gravy the fuzz man excited but we hear ya loud and clear cpt

Deleted
    I'm happy to see there is so much interest For awhile I felt like I was 'too old' for minecraft haha

I would love a server like this, find it impossible to find a modded server (other than Tekkit). So if there's room, I'd love to join
    Inspecting raid instance floors since 2005

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I'll post an update since you're all interested.

Got the computer I'm going to use formatted and installed linux. setup a few things with that. Still haven't got the memory upgrades yet.

The big sticking point now is mod updates. I can easily put up a vanilla server running 1.3 but that's pointless for me at least. I really have no interest in vanilla MC. The problem now is many mods that I plan to use are in the process of being updated for 1.3 as well. Most have beta versions out, but the SMP and server files are still in the works from what I've read.

I'm probably going to setup the server for 1.2.5 and test setting up a server since I've never done that. Once I've got the hang of that I'll wait until the mod authors get stable versions of their mods for 1.3.1 I'll get that going.

I would rather not create a server just to play on for a few weeks and then have to reset everything. That's no fun for anyone.

I'll play around with this a little more and get more memory going this week. I'll post an update when I have more info.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    's sounds great!
    been looking around for a server like this.
    So I'll def. keep an eye on this thread

Great opportunity to meet some fellow MMO-Champ members too.

Deleted
    im guessing and two funny brits was gamechap and bertie?

15+ Year Old Account
    Alright. Here goes.

I've been doing a lot of reading, testing with 1.2.5 and considering exactly how I want it to work.

Unfortunately I've come to the conclusion that hosting a Minecraft server like the one I want to setup is going to be impossible with the hardware I have. It simply wont have the juice to be functional without serious lag or not working at all.

This leaves me two options. Pay for hosting or have someone else run it.

The first option is fine, but I would likely only create a hosted server for me and friends that I know to play on. Meaning I probably wouldn't whitelist anyone from around here unless I knew them quite well.

The second option is also possible. If someone wants to try their hand at hosting it I can setup mods and such for them and help them run it. At that point it's really not my server though and the person running it may not agree with what I want to do. I can certainly understand that too. No sense in using all those resources for someone else to do what they want.

So not great options for the foreseeable future with regards to what I initially wanted to do. Renting a server with the memory that would be required to run all the things I want is expensive too. I can probably get good friends to pitch in on it, but asking people I don't know is out of the question. Even if you offer I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the money because this is a learning experience and not a sure thing / it's going to work perfectly right off the bat.

So there it is. Sorry for getting peoples hopes up. I learned a bit about hosting a server and may re-visit the plan in the future if I can work things out differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    So there it is. Sorry for getting peoples hopes up. I learned a bit about hosting a server and may re-visit the plan in the future if I can work things out differently.
    I guess you could say that it was the thought that counted? :P
    Thanks anyways man.

Just curious, but what specs would it take in order to run a server that you wanted to run? I'm wondering if I would be able to host one like this when I go off to college. I'm thinking about using my desktop as the server and my laptop as my computer to play on.

Deleted
    Asking for something to be "adult" as a descriptive term is one of the most childish things imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galloways View Post
    Just curious, but what specs would it take in order to run a server that you wanted to run? I'm wondering if I would be able to host one like this when I go off to college. I'm thinking about using my desktop as the server and my laptop as my computer to play on.
    Hmm. Unsure because I never got it to work the way I wanted it to. I would say at least 8Gb of RAM and a fairly decent processor.

The problem isn't getting a server going. A vanilla server can work great even with just 1Gb of RAM as long as you don't add too many people. The addons is what chews up memory and system resources. I don't really know all the details but only adding a handful of the mods I wanted to implement had the server unplayable.

Again, might revisit the idea again in the future. I've read a little more about allocating more memory to the server and tweaks you can do with setup, so there's that. No guarantees though. I'll post I make any progress, but I don't have any plans to really push at it. Maybe if I get bored.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by killeraled View Post
    im guessing and two funny brits was gamechap and bertie?
    I was hinting out at simon and lewis from the yogscast
    @Fuzzie awww..a tad dissapointing it's not working out but I understand you don't want to pay for hosting for people you don't know.

Well if anyone else has/knows a server that fits my wishlist I'm still available hehe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just picked up this game a few days ago, and would be interested in something like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_David
    "from injustise comes justise"

-huangzhong9

@Fuzzzie - I've got a server running on my Server 2008 R2 system; 8 GB of memory, quad-core processor. For those reading, I'm not prepared (or really intending) to share it out to the general public for many reasons, but for the issue at hand, it does give me some experience under my belt. Maybe I can help with some pointers? It's running windows, but since memory allocation is all just Java arguments, I imagine it should still apply.

It's not Tekkit either; I've never even heard of it till reading this post. Still, looks like it's based off Bukkit, so any application should be the same.

PM me if you're still looking to get this going. As Fuzzzie said, no promises, but thought I'd at least try to help.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromWolf View Post
    @Fuzzzie - I've got a server running on my Server 2008 R2 system; 8 GB of memory, quad-core processor. For those reading, I'm not prepared (or really intending) to share it out to the general public for many reasons, but for the issue at hand, it does give me some experience under my belt. Maybe I can help with some pointers? It's running windows, but since memory allocation is all just Java arguments, I imagine it should still apply.
    Can you give me an addons list that you're running and how many users you have?

Could you set up a kickstarter for an MMO-C paid server?