Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Could you set up a kickstarter for an MMO-C paid server?
    Anything involving money and especially people who I don't knows money is off the table for me. I'm just not going down that road at all. It's also something I'm sure the admins of the site don't want going on either.

  2. #42
    Hm. If someone did start a Kickstarter project, what would it be? Would it be getting enough money to build a computer that could be the dedicated server? Or would it be something else entirely?
    Last edited by Galloways; 2012-08-16 at 05:20 AM.

  3. #43
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Galloways View Post
    Hm. If someone did start a Kickstarter project, what would it be? Would it be getting enough money to build a computer that could be the dedicated server? Or would it be something else entirely?
    Honestly, the more I read about it, using a hosting service for Minecraft servers seems like the most sensible way to go. You can get an 8Gb server for sometimes as low as 15$ a month that includes full FTP access, allows installation of Mods, full SQL control etc etc etc.

    The advantages there are that the hardware is someone else's concern. They are responsible for the power costs, the bandwidth etc. It seems like a good option to me. My upload speed is kinda terrible so that was another concern I had for a bottleneck. Plus too, using a dedicated Minecraft server with tonnes of memory and processors that are designed for server use is probably better than me slinging together a desktop and hoping it all works out.

    I'm strongly considering this option now. I've got a few questions and wanna do more research but maybe i'll get something like that going in the future.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Can you give me an addons list that you're running and how many users you have?
    Some things to keep in mind with this list: a few plugins are just modules of other plugins. One or two are unused. I have not updated to 1.3 yet. Still, some are pretty big plugins (dynmap can get downright HUGE, at least as far as actual disk space).

    20:34:13 [INFO] Plugins (29): Spout, Vault, Multiverse-Core, PermissionsEx, Stargate, AntiCreeper3, NarrowtuxLib, TheMonkeyPack, iConomy, Showcase, xAuth, CraftBookCommon, Permissions, CommandHelper, Runecraft, NoCheat, Herochat, CraftBookCircuits, CustomCrafting, MultiHome, Giant Trees, raftBookMechanisms, WorldEdit, Multiverse-Portals, CommandBook, LWC, WorldGuard, dynmap, CraftBookVehicles

    We've had as many as 7-8 users at once (I host this on my own, connection is a 50MB down/5 MB up I specifically upgraded to for Minecraft hosting), but truth be told, we're lucky to have 2-3, sometimes 1, sometimes none. XD So I'm by no means a big server, but still.

    I should still be able to offer some pointers for server setup. Let me know if you have any other questions.

  5. #45
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,351
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromWolf View Post
    I should still be able to offer some pointers for server setup. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    I appreciate it. Strongly leaning towards a paid hosting service. seems like the safest and easiest option. Just need to talk to friends who would be helping to support the monthly cost first. Again, not soliciting money at all. This kinda changes the dynamic. If I do go public with the server it will be a surprise. I'm looking for a whitelist server with people who know their game and are experienced. Still playing with a lot of options though. This is more of an internal struggle with how to do what I want thread now lol

  6. #46
    Grunt
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Scotland, Edinburgh.
    Posts
    13
    This is such a good idea, i hate when i go onto a server and there is younger players who just grief when im offline and its got to the point where i play solo and minecraft is just better with a bunch of mates .

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I appreciate it. Strongly leaning towards a paid hosting service. seems like the safest and easiest option. Just need to talk to friends who would be helping to support the monthly cost first. Again, not soliciting money at all. This kinda changes the dynamic. If I do go public with the server it will be a surprise. I'm looking for a whitelist server with people who know their game and are experienced. Still playing with a lot of options though. This is more of an internal struggle with how to do what I want thread now lol
    Not to throw dirt on the whole idea but I made this topic with the intention of finding likeminded people in my age category to play minecraft with, be it on a server or through LAN, be it with new people to minecraft or veterans. You have a good idea and I find it great you concidered creating a server for people to play on (and correct me if I'm misunderstanding something here) but I'm not pro 'I take over your topic to start up my minecraft server but none of you are allowed to play on it because I don't know you and if you wanna play on it you have to pay(?) or be an expert at minecraft'.
    And apologies if I misunderstood it but thats the general 'vibe' I'm getting.

  8. #48
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzykizzy View Post
    Not to throw dirt on the whole idea but I made this topic with the intention of finding likeminded people in my age category to play minecraft with, be it on a server or through LAN, be it with new people to minecraft or veterans. You have a good idea and I find it great you concidered creating a server for people to play on (and correct me if I'm misunderstanding something here) but I'm not pro 'I take over your topic to start up my minecraft server but none of you are allowed to play on it because I don't know you and if you wanna play on it you have to pay(?) or be an expert at minecraft'.
    And apologies if I misunderstood it but thats the general 'vibe' I'm getting.
    My intent was to create a server that everyone could play on. I was going to use a number of mods as well. Unfortunetly that didn't work out. Now I'm toying with the idea of purchasing server space somewhere to run it but that's not going to happen any time soon. My point was that I wasn't going to take money from people to get this going because a) we're not allowed to solicit money on this site and b) that's more responsibility then I wanted to have.

    As for your original question, there are lots of servers out there, but I'm not sure of any open and public ones that are restricting young people. You would likely have to find one on minecraft forums and apply as they'll be whitelisted.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by ukrainium View Post
    25 here and definitely down. I currently play on the reddit public servers and I'm tired of my builds getting grief'd constantly.
    can you post a link?
    check this pokemon online game out

  10. #50
    Field Marshal Zero2ninE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    germanüüü
    Posts
    74
    whats up with that?
    Cursecraft

    this thing is still running but lacks in players. as far as i can tell there are rarely more then 2players online.

    it says in invite only but i guess its kinda outdated..

    map isnt that fresh but lots of space still available
    http://map.cursecraft.com/#

    maybe repopulate it?

  11. #51
    Grunt Tharlinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero2ninE View Post
    whats up with that?
    Cursecraft

    this thing is still running but lacks in players. as far as i can tell there are rarely more then 2players online.

    it says in invite only but i guess its kinda outdated..

    map isnt that fresh but lots of space still available
    http://map.cursecraft.com/#

    maybe repopulate it?
    Yes, this is the official MMOC server, funded by Curse. Running version 1.3.1.
    Apparently we need more publicity out here since people don't know it exists?

    We just switched to a completely new survival map, at night there are up to 10 people!

  12. #52
    Keyboard Turner
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1
    Sorry to bother everyone, I am looking for guidance and do not wish to post spam or annoy anyone. But I am at a loss here. I was wondering if someone could point in the right direction to where I might find a few (max four or five for now) mature Adult players for my free minecraft server. I will not give any more details since this would be obviously annoying for the Moderators of this forum. I thank you all for your patience.

  13. #53
    Keyboard Turner
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3
    Yeah i am having the same issue with playing with kids about 15-12. Im 21 and if you get that server up i wanna join. im tired of the mucking about on the younger servers.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I refuse to use Tekkit because I think they're thieves
    I'd like to know more on this, got any relevant links handy?

  15. #55

    Hey guys

    I was googling around, and well found your thread : ) I actually run a Minecraft.... well Tekkit server that is aimed at responsible (ie adult) users. Its been up for about 3 months now and is privately listed with a decent amount of users. Sorry if you guys aren't in to Tekkit, but i recommend it. It uses things like buildcraft and redstone and allows from some pretty cool things to be built with logic gates etc. I was googling around to see if there is a listing board for adult minecraft, and it doesn't look there really is... I tried posting the server on a general public listing for 2 days a while back, and that was all I could take - you get some pretty terrible minecraft players that way.

    http://thisserverplays.blogspot.com

    or the ip:
    208.115.114.210:25626

    any way 30 players dedicated yada yada its on the blog

    my name in game is ekemsend as well

    Oh yeah I should add that I try and keep up with what players want, I really try and create an enjoyable place to play. If you guys know of plug-ins or other ways to make the gameplay more interesting or whatever please let me know : )

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-28 at 12:18 AM ----------


    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    I'd like to know more on this, got any relevant links handy?
    The reason people say this is because they combined a bunch of mods under one launcher. So in effect the work and effort they put in was really coordinating the mods under one package and making it easy to configure and accessible to a lot of users... which is what I like about it... but they played no role in developing the mods included in their launcher (some of them maybe I have no idea on that). I think the public assumes the guys who did Tekkit developed everything a user experiences using it, and that frustrates people who are involved in the modding community. Its too bad because mods like Forestry, which are awesome, were removed at the modder's request... and I think this all really just punishes the players out there more than anybody
    Last edited by ekemsend; 2012-09-28 at 12:20 AM.

  16. #56
    The Patient spambanjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by ekemsend View Post
    Its too bad because mods like Forestry, which are awesome, were removed at the modder's request... and I think this all really just punishes the players out there more than anybody
    Only slightly true. I believe the Forestry developer made it so that your bees would explode if you tried to use Forestry within Tekkit. A pretty shitty move when, like you say, you consider that only the players suffer from a dick move like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Пламяскверны

  17. #57
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,351
    Quote Originally Posted by spambanjo View Post
    Only slightly true. I believe the Forestry developer made it so that your bees would explode if you tried to use Forestry within Tekkit. A pretty shitty move when, like you say, you consider that only the players suffer from a dick move like this.
    It's within their rights to say no to tekkit if they don't want their mod included in the pack.

    FTB modpack is coming out soon and will include forestry along with all the other mods that have been in development since 1.3.2 and will be up to date, include the same launcher and actually have authorization so you can be sure that all the mods are appropriately up to date. I hope a lot of people shift over to that once it's out.

  18. #58
    The Patient spambanjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    It's within their rights to say no to tekkit if they don't want their mod included in the pack.
    I'm not disagreeing with this, but having your mod self destruct and quite literally destroy worlds at a player level is a shitty move. He could have easily just self-disabled it within the Tekkit launcher. I find his actions pretty childish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Пламяскверны

  19. #59
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,351
    Quote Originally Posted by spambanjo View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with this, but having your mod self destruct and quite literally destroy worlds at a player level is a shitty move. He could have easily just self-disabled it within the Tekkit launcher. I find his actions pretty childish.
    I agree to an extent. However, given the fact that he asked to have it not included and they did anyways is childish on their part too. They're not the developers of these mods and they don't have the right to do what they want with them. It's similar to people who used to steal cable and satellite service where the companies would just zap their box and destroy it.

  20. #60
    The Patient spambanjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Staffordshire, UK
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I agree to an extent. However, given the fact that he asked to have it not included and they did anyways is childish on their part too. They're not the developers of these mods and they don't have the right to do what they want with them. It's similar to people who used to steal cable and satellite service where the companies would just zap their box and destroy it.
    But the players aren't "stealing" anything. The Tekkit mods did not suffer from exploding bees and corrupted world maps, players did. In fact this situation is nothing like people stealing cable. Because the viewers stealing the cable are themselves responsible for the theft in progress. In the Forestry example, the players did nothing but enjoy the adon for a time then have their hard work turned to shit when their maps became corrupted. Forestry's beef was with the devs, yet they took out their frustration on innocent parties.

    Imagine you are at home one day watching cable when all of a sudden the box catches fire. It turns out it was the BBC who sent a signal to fry the chips in the box because the company supplying you with cable hadn't paid their duties to the BBC. Why should you have to waste time/money because the people you trusted didn't do their job. Surely the cable company should suffer not you?

    Let's pretend the Tekkit mods are the US government (both famous for distributing resources that don't belong to them) and the Forestry dev(s) responsible for the exploding bees and map corruptions are the Taliban (both have a love for retaliation via explosives). The US government, thinking everyone in the world agrees how super important they are, acts like assholes for way too long. They steal the world's resources and wave their dicks in the faces of the middle east (aka, the Minecraft modding community). Naturally, a bunch of Arabs, Afghans and Pakistanis get pissed off with the US abusing their land, and before long the Taliban are involved. However, the Taliban don't respond by killing soldiers or politicians, instead they respond by blowing up a building containing hundreds of thousands of civilians. The fact that the US government acted like dicks in the first place does not make it OK to make innocent people suffer.

    DISCLAIMER: I do NOT want to get into a debate about the US government, 9/11, the Taliban or the authenticity of the 'most widely recognised' version of events from that horrible day. I will not respond to comments about 9/11, that's not the point of this example and you know it.

    All this achieves in both situations is that both sides of the argument blame the other. Nobody will ever admit they are wrong because they are both in the wrong... and as with every bullshit situation like this... the only people to suffer are those who had no input, choice or power in the original decision making.

    It's time both sides of the Forestry dispute stop being dicks so we can get this resolved for the benefit of the community.
    Last edited by spambanjo; 2012-10-02 at 03:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Пламяскверны

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •