Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation A little rant for some RP'ers.

I have seen way too often low-level RP'ers thinking that if the gear matches their description, they are good for RP, but NO. You AREN'T. Think of this as a small rant/noob guide about RP'ers who, even after reading guides, still don't know anything about RP, and what they do so terribly wrong. (Remember: This is IN-GAME RP, not Forum.)

1. Gear
    You are in control over what your character looks like. If you purposefully make your description roughly match that of an easy-to-aquire item in WoW (Say, Vendor Gear that costs, like, 10 silver), that is lazy. Appearence is (mostly) everything. If you have vendor gear, or gear you can easily aquire through the newbie quests, equipped while you RP, you will look like you didn't care about your character, and will have a less chance to have a RP session with someone. Good gear would be gear that took a while to get (Valor/PVP/Justice/etc. point gear, 1000+g gear, low-chance drop rate, etc.) but, they don't need to be SO difficult. Maybe through a certain proffession, Auction House, or maybe even a quest reward that is for lvl 30+. Not saying that all people with terrible gear are bad or good, i'm just saying put a little more effort into how you look. Besides, if everyone wore the same gear, the only thing that would distinguish us between each other would be out faces. So, be creative!

2. Description.
    Okay, if your leveling, and not RP'ing, it's fine if your description/history says WIP (Work In Progress). DO NOT DO THE OPPOSITE. You can say "RP to find out" (As lazy as that is), but i don't want to see things like, "What's on him/her" or anything of the kind, because that's just so uncreative. If you want to know how to describe someone, read this forums "Character creation" page. Same for History. Don't leave out any details.

3. Gear Cont.
    Forgot something. Starter Gear. If you use it in RP, you are the most uncreative and lazy RP'er in the universe.

And that's my little rant. Hope you enjoyed, and learned something through this expirience. Please, RP correctly or you will be highly disliked by me and the RP community.
    | Main RP Character:
    Nidal Shadowdance |
    | While Forum RP'ing:
    Italics = What he's doing currently.
    Non-italics with Quotes = Talking
    Non-Italics without Quotes = Thinking |

Or realize it's your 15 bucks a month and do what you want. Just do so knowing that anyone around you has the right to ignore you if they don't like what you're doing.

There you go, Scrapbot. Is my Signature small enough now? Will you finally shut up, you automated pretentious &##(@)!?

What's so bad about role playing a poor low level that can only get the 10 silver pieces? Maybe basing gear quality off difficulty to get isn't fun for all RPers.
    Ricotta,Corleggy Retired.

I fail to see why using vendor gear would make for a terrible roleplaying set. It's better than some portions of tier / PvP gear in terms of realism. It's not exactly hard to get, but that shouldn't really matter in roleplaying. It's boring if every rogue is wearing T2, every shaman is wearing T6, or every warrior is wearing Season 4, for example.

Maybe i should edit this so it's my own opinion. Because it's my own opinion.

---------- Post added 2012-08-07 at 06:46 PM ----------

But i see all your points.
    | Main RP Character:
    Nidal Shadowdance |
    | While Forum RP'ing:
    Italics = What he's doing currently.
    Non-italics with Quotes = Talking
    Non-Italics without Quotes = Thinking |

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    ..... What the....

That rant about the gear made my brain hurt, what a load of utter nonsense, really it sounds like you are the bad RP'er if you only accept wearing rare gear as creative.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    ..... What the....

That rant about the gear made my brain hurt, what a load of utter nonsense, really it sounds like you are the bad RP'er if you only accept wearing rare gear as creative.

It is...silly. I use any kind of gear no matter the color. The looks are what is important to me. If the OP is griping about gear looks...well that's the LEAST of his problem. I'm more concerned by executing roleplay then gear.

Usually I go by concept, one of my oldest sets was very simple and still a favorite of mine, my mage essentially has a robe from Bloodmyst, which I adore as a model.

Hint to RPers:
    If you get into a random dungeon, turn off your spamming addons or macros. We don't want to see you talk about your move every time you make it.

I'm glad you cleared that up, for a minute there I thought what made roleplaying compelling was character and personality. o.o

Deleted
    Personally I found the Draenei starters boots to be perfect for my Bloodelf Rogue thief. They were the best looking black-highheeled boots I could find.

I find your shortsightedness and attempt at elitism in roleplaying quite disgusting. Attempting to help other roleplayers is one thing. Belittleing people who might have a very interesting character, but not the most interesting gear, is appaling.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Casisiempre View Post
    Hint to RPers:
    If you get into a random dungeon, turn off your spamming addons or macros. We don't want to see you talk about your move every time you make it.
    How is that different from just about every tank, healer or hunter who constantly says something semi-retarded-but-tries-to-be-fun when they trap, use a cd, cc's, ressurects or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    How is that different from just about every tank, healer or hunter who constantly says something semi-retarded-but-tries-to-be-fun when they trap, use a cd, cc's, ressurects or whatever?
    Nothing is different, but it is RPers who more often have the issue, as I can't come up with a reason anyone else would have one of those addons.

I must say, this was one of the most interesting things I've ever read. As interesting as reading shit can be . . . Which isn't all that interesting at all, really.
    Basing low-level Role-Playing on gear? Right. So, what you're trying to say, is that if I have my level ten Goblin Mage, and can only make ten silver, and wear gear appropriate for my level, then I'm a lazy, uncreative, bad Role-Player? That makes a lot of sense, now doesn't it? And, not to be overly rude, as that normally isn't me, but would you honestly look at me and call me 'uncreative' and 'lazy' if I did something like that? I know my Role-Playing very, VERY well (hell, I write bloody stories for God's sake) and think that, if you're going to either pay money monthly for a game, or use your imagination (either way, whether it's in forums, novels, or inside World of Warcraft) you can do whatever the hell you want to do. If I want my character's appearance to hide what he/she can truly do, and is fully capable of, then hell, I'm going to do it. Having one of a million Role-Players rant about it isn't going to make me stop and think to myself, "Hm, this person seems upset about how I Role-Play. I guess I should stop doing what I'm doing and play exactly how this person wants me to."
    Pyromaniac protégé.

I have to partly disagree. The difficulty of aquiring gear has no say whatsoever in its RP value. For me it is the style that matters most and nothing else. While the starter gear or low level vendor gear may be overused, imho it is still better as most of the over the top high-tier armor sets. Green pseudo sets and blacksmithing gear make for some awesome RP outfits, even if they are trivial to aquire. Point in case my current RP gear for Khor ingame: Link basically a cheap blacksmithing set, 1 old instance drop, a Quest reward, and a cheap Crusader item. But imho it makes an awesome Blood Knight set. So long story short, It's not the in-game effort that counts but the thought you put into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by casisiempre View Post
    nothing is different, but it is rpers who more often have the issue, as i can't come up with a reason anyone else would have one of those addons.
    /y "I am summoning a steed of nightmare!"
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Someday in the future i wanted to try out RP. After reading this, i dont want that anymore.

I once thought RP´ers are sensitive, warmhearted players with a addiction for lore and own fantasy. Now i see they are just bureaukrats in highest level of perfection...

You sir (OP), are exactly the people i want to get away from, when logginh into wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Casisiempre View Post
    Nothing is different, but it is RPers who more often have the issue, as I can't come up with a reason anyone else would have one of those addons.
    I remember destinctively in classic when warlocks used those addons to time their soulstones and count their shards, etc. that this kind of macro was "build in" to the addon. I also remember people freaking out about the players not being able to disable the chat makro portion of the addon.

edit: Also sometimes people like to annoy people. I had the /train emote macroed to my taunt when doing dungeons with my guild just to mess with them. "Chooo Chooo!"

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Someday in the future i wanted to try out RP. After reading this, i dont want that anymore.

I once thought RP´ers are sensitive, warmhearted players with a addiction for lore and own fantasy. Now i see they are just bureaukrats in highest level of perfection...

You sir (OP), are exactly the people i want to get away from, when logginh into wow.
    Well as you can see in this thread there are lots of different opinions and approaches on RP. Just find one that suits you. The passion for Lore and warmheartedness fits for these forums, but we also tend to be bureucractic when it comes to things as appropriate ages, timelines et cetera. But of course that comes with being passionate about lore.
    Last edited by Khorianas; 2012-08-09 at 01:07 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post

Every community has idiots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Thank you, Oh Mighty Scarlet Crusader12, for enlightening the lowly masses with the venerated rules of RP, as spake unto you by the Light itself!
    Verily, you are a modern day <insert appropriate inspirational figure here>, to lead us from the darkness of our ignorance!
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP