Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How work Dodge Keybind?

hey

ye question in title - how work the dodge keybind
    i was in all betas and never binded it to a key^^ - i just used the double tap
    in last stress test i had the idea to test it and was going to bind it but couldnt find

so anyway with double tap i have 4 directions - W A S D - where i can dodge

are there 4 direction keys to bind? or is it just 1 key and i need W A S D too?

im asking cause i have 2 extra buttons on mouse and would be cool to use one for dodge and one for TS-Push to talk^^

just dodge is needed to be bound, just move in the direction and hit dodge you'll dodge that direction.

Deleted
    very nice - planing atm my keybinds and this helps alot^^

with 4 keys to bind extra just for dodge it would be a hell lol

btw - how you guys bind your keys?

i have 1-5 spell 1 -5 and alt +1-5 for 6-10
    ^ for weapon change
    W A S D movement - Q E Strafe

2 Buttons on mouse for dodge^^ and Push to talk

more to bind?
    Last edited by mmoc6f3817dca5; 2012-08-08 at 05:08 AM.

If you are not moving, pressing the dodge key will make you dodge backwards. If you are moving and press the dodge key, you will dodge in the direction that you are moving.

For movement, good players use WASD with A and D as strafe or ESDF, which is the same was WASD, but shifted to the right (some people prefer this because it gives a few more options for keybinds). Keyturning is generally slower than using your mouse to turn, and that leads to good players running circles around you. It's quite comical to watch.

You're missing the binds for interact (default F) and your F1-F4 abilities. Those are often bound to easier to reach keys.

Deleted
    You're missing the binds for interact (default F) and your F1-F4 abilities. Those are often bound to easier to reach keys.
    oh yeah forgot this - f1-f4 im fine with have big hands
    and F - mhhh you guys know is it possbile to bind F (interact) to mouswheel up and maby close the window to mousewheel down?

I bound my dodge to E. Side mouse button is also a nice spot as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exedore View Post
    If you are not moving, pressing the dodge key will make you dodge backwards.
    Really wish there was an option to turn that "feature" off.

Deleted
    just tap twice your movement key and you will dodge in to that direction

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildclaw View Post
    Really wish there was an option to turn that "feature" off.
    Where else are you going to dodge if you're not holding a direction? If you don't want to move backwards while dodging, press a direction.

I don't see the point in the dodge simply not going off if you don't have a direction pressed... might as well not press the button, easier fix.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Where else are you going to dodge if you're not holding a direction? If you don't want to move backwards while dodging, press a direction.

I don't see the point in the dodge simply not going off if you don't have a direction pressed... might as well not press the button, easier fix.
    Maybe he wants the super smash brothers dodge in place move. Ya I know the concept is somewhat silly but I cant think of another reason why he might want that.

Who is John Galt?

I use left Alt as my dodge button. Got used to it while playing Darksiders on keyboard (wheee...).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blamtu View Post
    just tap twice your movement key and you will dodge in to that direction
    This is how it works in TSW too. Very easy to get used to, becomes muscle memory in panic situations.

I don't like the idea of pressing two keys in any situation.

I just double tab the movement keys, works much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    This is how it works in TSW too. Very easy to get used to, becomes muscle memory in panic situations.

I don't like the idea of pressing two keys in any situation.
    The problem with double-tap is that it's inefficient.

If you're kiting something by running to the left and need to dodge; you need to release your key for a brief moment in order to double-tap (which will stop your character moving at all).

Also, double-tap greatly increases the chance of accidentally dodging when you did not intend to; which can completely determine the out-come of a fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally bind the dodge key to my mouse 4 button on my razor naga, easy.

Double tapping to dodge won't hold water in PvP, imo.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I personally bind the dodge key to my mouse 4 button on my razor naga, easy.

Double tapping to dodge won't hold water in PvP, imo.
    oddly enough thats exactly where I put it myself Main reason I turned off double tap was because I kept dodgeing off ledges during jumping puzzles. That spot works particuarly well because you use the same finger as left click to hit that button and theres almost no situation where you need to left click and dodge at the same time. At most you'll delay a manual target in the middle of a dodge, if you were preping a ground target skill you would have cancled the effect with a dodge anyway so no big loss.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    Also, double-tap greatly increases the chance of accidentally dodging when you did not intend to; which can completely determine the out-come of a fight.
    Or a jumping puzzle.

Deleted
    i set mine to my scroll wheel click on my mouse works really well for me

I remap Dodge to the Spacebar and Jump to Left Alt. While I do have a Naga, I prefer to use the buttons on the side for the hotbar abilities and to me it feels way more natural to dodge by using the Spacebar rather than the mouse or the V key. By remapping Left Alt to Jump though, I have the names of both friendly players/NPCs and enemy NPCs always on. Oh, and double tap to evade is disabled, I find it more of a hindrance than a help.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    The problem with double-tap is that it's inefficient.

If you're kiting something by running to the left and need to dodge; you need to release your key for a brief moment in order to double-tap (which will stop your character moving at all).

Can't agree with it. I have yet to accidentally dodge (I do have the problem of timing my dodges really badly of course ^^) and the double tap is so quick that there is no interruption. Granted, my keyboard has very low travel and is extremely responsive. Maybe it more complicated with high travel keyboards.