Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Prestige is always artificial, it is always in the eyes of the beholder and the beheld. Take olympic athlets as an example.
    They win some pieces of precious metal for performing various feats in various types of sports.
    From where does their prestige come? From the people who look up to them, and the feeling that then creates in them.
    Noone can tell you that is more prestigious than you managing to level from 1-85 in WoW (even though just about everyone, probably even myself included, will do that!)
    Because quite frankly, if we all collectively decided tomorrow that there's nothing cool about winning the olympics anymore, but people who can kill rogues 1v1 in pvp are freaking gods, then gone is all prestige about getting those medals. It is completely artificial and subjective.
    So, if you get your good feeling and prestige, confidence, etc from playing wow, then don't you let anyone tell you it is fake and that you should "go out" and get some "real stuff" going on.
    Perhaps this is where the problem also lays and ofc maybe a good thing for him because the prestige part of wow is pretty much over.

BTW the rest of your post was a good read too.

Deleted
    I did read all your post. And gratz, really good post. 324days, 19h, 43m and 39 secs since may 2008.

I lived in 4 different countries in the last 5 years and honestly i just got tired of meeting new people and then having to say goodbye to them after a while. I am frustrated with what i do (a PhD that seems to never end...) and frustrated with what i would like to do (I love teaching at the University) for a living but can't (being a university teacher is all about research these days, nobody gives a rats ass if ur a good teacher).

Also changed girlfriend 3 times in the last 4 years. Flat? same. The usual routine of moving to a new flat, go to ikea and buy some cheap furniture i know i will be giving away in a year or so.

So what has been a constant? WoW. My guildies. Haven't played as much as in the early days because cataclysm also happened to the guild (and so many guilds i know) and members just evaporated.

I like going out with my current girlfriend, with friends to drinks and so forth. But these days, with all the uncertainty in the job market, both focusing on our careers and so forth, there is no real chance for a family in the short run.

I guess wow is what has kept me sane. The only real constant in my life so far.

Quote Originally Posted by tomislav View Post
    Hi all, I started playing World of Warcraft Vanilla just the week it was out, almost 8 years ago. Since then, I have been playing the game almost 9 hours a day on average, and occasionally up to 12 hours a day when it came to farming. There is total of more than 1200 played days on all my characters combined.

I was first led into WoW because I didn't had any friends, and my grades were failing in high school, and I had needed a place of solace to retreat to in order to hide myself from my life's failures. I received a very large inheritance from my grandparents who passed away, and I was thus able to live in seclusion for many years without having to worry about working or studying. In fact, I can still go on playing for another decade or so before I am finally forced to work.

Since then, I have played every class in the game, and have 12 characters, of which 8 of them are level 85s clad in high-end epic gear.

However, WoW has lost its charm ever since, and I no longer find myself capable of finding the game fulfilling. Back then I played it for the following reasons:

1) There was an air of innocence when I played it, because the world was so large, and I felt humbled by the vastness of the world.
    2) Every experience was worth experiencing, and was centered at the present instead of the past or the future.
    3) There was no need to get epic gear, focus on DPS in raids, or find ways to defeat others in 1 v 1 or arena setting. It was just pure joy regardless of how bad I was.
    4) Every player was new, and there was this genuinely serene feel to everything around me. I was curious and excited to carry on adventures, so were everyone else.
    5) It was so realistic back then, that I literally found my life's purpose in whole. Everyday, I would get up just to play WoW.

So for a year or so, I was entrenched in WoW, exploring every detail, and appreciating every moment. I found my self-esteem and sense of worth and awe based on WoW exploration. There was just so much beauty to explore.

However, eventually, the original charm of WoW was lost, and with the exception of the starting phases of each expansion, I found myself doing the following:

1) Focusing on farming
    2) DPSing
    3) Doing arenas
    4) Getting only good gear and items
    5) Dueling
    6) Showing off my characters

The main reason why I could not quit, is simply because ... I have no other option. WoW has defined me. Everything in WoW has become a substitute for things in real life, and I cannot get out. In fact, I get the following from playing WoW:

1) Social Status: being a guildmaster, and being exalted to many factions.
    2) Self-Esteem and Self-Worth: being knowledgeable about all classes and most dungeons and raids, and professions.
    3) Profession: literally, professions across all my characters.
    4) Friends: guild members and associated members
    5) Fashion: my gear and possessions
    6) Money: my possessions and gold
    7) Need for Novelty: exploring new things in WoW, especially during expansions
    8) Entertainment: PvP, BGs, Arena, raids, dungeons etc.

I have been playing WoW for so long, that I simply do not have anything in real life that can substitute all these possessions.

It eventually got to the point whereby I just lost interest in WoW. However, with MoP coming up, I might regain that interest after a while. I am not sure what will become of me in the future, but I will continue to WoW, and more so when MoP is released, and for future expansions. It's not that I like the game at this time, but rather because I simply have nothing more which I like more than WoW.

So this is my story. I cannot reveal my account or identity though, but I am saying this because of my own acknowledgement of how extreme WoW addiction has been for me.

Alright bud.

I was kind of in your boat for a long time. For me it was after my freshman year at college when I moved back home and started at the local community college. The classes were easy and I felt privledged for no reason. So I failed a class or two and that of course made my long term prospects bleaker so I turned to wow.

It was a good waste of time to keep me for looking for a job or doing school work.

Now everyone is different and what helped me might very well not help you.

Try to go to a yoga class. Maybe a local community center or where everyone will be old and you can focus on yourself. (and not sexy yoga pants) Maybe try going to the gym. Realize none of this is going to change you over night or in a month. You'll still be quiet and reserved around people (can only assume here) but when you decide you want to speak to someone, you'll have more confidence in yourself.

"A man is born alone, and dies alone. And he experiences the good and bad of his karma alone: and he alone goes to hell or the Supreme abode." - Chanayaka

Deleted
    Try to build up your self confidence. I have a pretty good one even if I am underweight and short, and a computer nerd:P But I, even if I spend a lot of time at the computer know that I am just as good as all the other people around me. For example I know very much about many different things, people have always claimed that I am smart, and I think that's why I got so good confidence for myself even If I am weak and small

Try to learn something new, I learned to shuffle (a dance, not the LMFAO style though hate it) it also helps very much, to know that you can do something cool. Your knowledge from wow can probarly also help you in real life, like leading a group if you have been raidleading many times.

I dont see how people can let it get that far. I been playin games since my Atari 2700 and I never had a problem....i mean jeez its just a game ...Wow to me is like......umm The Legend of Zelda Online i mean yea have fun and play your games but also make sure to take care of your real life reponsibilities