Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    His unique item is good. If your game isn't shit.

It's a snowball item and as such can be a bad choice. It's very cost effective and can be extremely good. Keywords: can be.

--

That said, I've yet to see a Rengar that worried me other than when my team were playing like idiots and fed him once he started roaming. He snowballs positively way less than some of the stronger assassins and negatively far harder than most junglers. Only upside to him is that he doesn't really fall off as hard later game.

I honestly don't see him as a very strong champion. I'm much more worried about a bunch of other champions.

Deleted
    The snowball part is not that big... It gives 2 AD per lvl anyway...

---------- Post added 2012-08-29 at 10:29 AM ----------

The reason you might not see him doing great is because you have met those people who go either all tank or all damage... The ones with a good mix can oneshot your carry and then either run away or join in on the teamfight... Since i got hold of him i've done pretty well every game...

10+ Year Old Account
    The AD/level isn't the big deal. It's the added abilities he gets. The extra range on his jump can make a huge difference, for example.

I don't see them do well because, much like Shaco, they rarely get to be in the position where they get to do well - ahead. Rengar has major problems once he falls behind. He can't easily overcome that disadvantage. His unique item will not help him here, same as all snowball items. If you are 0/2/1 your snowball item will do nothing do you.

I personally have not seen him being able to snowball hard enough to completely shut down a game, but I'm open to the possibility that this might've been specific to the player rather than the champion. I have seen the odd Rengar do well, but that never once was when he fell behind.

By comparison: leave Jax or Olaf alone for awhile and they will still obliterate you. Rengar can't get enough power once behind.
    Last edited by Duilliath; 2012-08-29 at 09:29 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    The AD/level isn't the big deal. It's the added abilities he gets. The extra range on his jump can make a huge difference, for example.

I don't see them do well because, much like Shaco, they rarely get to be in the position where they get to do well - ahead. Rengar has major problems once he falls behind. He can't easily overcome that disadvantage. His unique item will not help him here, same as all snowball items. If you are 0/2/1 your snowball item will do nothing do you.

I personally have not seen him being able to snowball hard enough to completely shut down a game, but I'm open to the possibility that this might've been specific to the player rather than the champion. I have seen the odd Rengar do well, but that never once was when he fell behind.

By comparison: leave Jax or Olaf alone for awhile and they will still obliterate you. Rengar can't get enough power once behind.
    Yeah he is not like Jax or Olaf he is Rengar...

About his unique item i think it is ALWAYS worth it... Even though you do bad... The snowball part is nice and all, but the fact that you at lvl 18 will get 48 AD from an item that only cost 800gold is quite impressive... With 3 stacks you have arpen and more damage on top... If you buy it at lvl 8 it still gives 25 damage, and alone that would cost 975 if you took a pickaxe... and 1037,5 for longswords...
    Point is it gives more than you pay for, and bonus effects on top... It won't be long before you are above lvl 10 and by then it gives even more... Late game you might wanna sell it though....

On the other hand a Rengar with TF + BT + Warmogs, can duel anyone pretty well...

Also if you fall behind without getting farmed, pretty much any damage dealing champion aside from Olaf with his E becomes pretty useless...

---------- Post added 2012-08-29 at 12:10 PM ----------

Thinking back on some of my first games with him i can recognize what you are stating... I had a great start once as jungle went 3/0, then nothing happened and i just farmed jungle for quite some time, then next fight i did not do near the damage needed.... However if their carry builds pure Attack no Defense i can usually instagib them anyway... If you play Rengar Top it is way more safe... Unless enemy jungle does a great job ganking...
    Last edited by mmoc818e8c0ca4; 2012-08-29 at 10:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    On the other hand a Rengar with TF + BT + Warmogs, can duel anyone pretty well...

That's 4070+3000+3000 gold=10k. Assuming you didn't take a detour (Wriggle's, Bonetooth) and did take Boots, that is 11k gold. Which is not including Wards, Oracles, any Magic Resist or Armour. I also ignored the fact that it takes time and farm to stack Warmog's and BT.

If you get that much farm as Jungler, you could've stacked Deathcaps and it wouldn't have made a difference to the outcome anyway.

Give 11k gold to an AD carry and they will have Boots, PD, Last Whisper and Infinity Edge and murder you before you come close.
    Give 11k gold to an AP carry and they will have Boots, Deathcap, Rylai's and Zhonya's Hourglass (or something similar).

Can you see where I'm going with this?

Additionally, you say at level 18, his necklace gives a nice amount of AD if nothing else. I can see this. However, if that's the only thing it's got going for it, you would most likely get more from *any* other item as at that point it is only taking up an item slot.

//edit: Mind you, I'm mostly talking about his jungling. He will do better top lane. He gets more farm there and can postpone the necklace until teamfights happen or get it to try to snowball his lane harder. Even so, I am not convinced he is a strong pick. His strengths will not come into play at that position and there are stronger choices for the lane itself.
    Last edited by Duilliath; 2012-08-29 at 11:03 AM.